2003 Kia Rio Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Disappointed.
By addii on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car second hand from a guy who drove mostly highway. In the few months that I have owned it The hatchback has locked up several times, the driver's side door only works half the time (meaning I have to climb out the passenger seat). The car has stalled on me in mid-intersection. The engine light came on and car started to lug, had to pull over it lost all acceleration. The engine constantly revs and drops back down making it impossible to get to the speed you want easily. The back right window will not open from drivers panel. Overall I'm really unhappy with this car and regret buying it.

No more Kias
By Kat Kat on 08/06/09 23:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Worst Car ever once I got it I had to take in in after a few months do to the weather guard on the windows being deformed. Tires blow out so fast on this tire it's not even funny. If it weren't for the great mileage it would have no up side.

Build quality
By kramer on 10/13/07 19:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the car has been reliable, requiring little maintenance. However many smaller items such as door handles, rear hatch handle, wiper arms, and headlight bulbs fail. Also horn no longer works, keyless entry no longer works, and power locks malfunction, indicating poor electrical system.

Great Econo Coach!
By BILL on 09/26/07 22:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great little cheapie, all I expected was for her to get me from point a to b cheaply, and reliably, and she's definitely filled those requirements. I expected low power due to the engine size but it's more than sufficient on flat roadways. I would not recommend the automatic, in hilly or mountainous conditions, since the computer wants to up and downshift to maintain road speed. I haul a lot and this little wagon just keeps on chuggin', my gas guzzlers stay at home while I drive this one back and forth to work. I doubt you could have found a better car for the price back in 2003.

VERY smart purchase.
By Dentuso on 11/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Although we are in a position to purchase vehicles that are more expensive than Kia's, we've found that we simply don't want to. We now own 2, (1 Cinco, 1 Sedona), and have every intention of making the next 2 vehicles Kias as well. For the money, you simply cannot beat the quality, warrantee, and simple (albeit modest) comforts. I sincerely believe that Kia and Hyundai have, and will continue to change the North America car market forever.

good
By erndew1 on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

fun to drive economical - little more power and bigger gas tank would be pluses - but fairly well satisfied after six months

Like a sports car.
By Bill Gibbons on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I live in the mountains and drive state highways up, down, and over. I also use interstates fairly regularly. The car is peppy, feels solid, passes easily for a small car, is comfortable, and is fun to drive. There is enough room behind the second seat for my 50# dog. My average MPG is 35. And the car is cute!(color is blueberry)

Perfect for work and leisure
By ericksenmad9 on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car brand new. Only had one problem with it(rear wiper hose kinked). But that is what the warranty is for. Is used for work. Plenty of space for work equipment. Good gas mileage. Fun to drive. I actually have more fun driving my Kia than my Chevy or Ford. Perfect for those who do not have alot of money to invest. Definitely love the turning radius. The Cinco, with it's hatchback design, gives plenty of room.

Kia wagon review from Pam
By pamer on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

This car is wonderful to drive, it has only one problem, if you drive gravel roads, it has a problem with mud, the mud sticks up underneath, and you get a bit of a shimmy from it. The automatic carwash with the undercarriage feature will solve this if you get it before it becomes too caked on

Rio RX-V
By Marcus Walters on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Very fun car to drive, handles surprisingly well. A bit noisy at high speeds though normal considering small engine. All in all amazing bang for your buck.