Used 2003 Kia Rio Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Rio Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

The Lemon I bought ...
By Tom T

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

...at Big Red Sports and imports (Norman Oklahoma ). On the day i purchased my new car with less than 20 miles showing on the odometer. The car was new fresh new car smell looked great. I started Drive just 10 mile from the dealership home and the car broke down and would not start, I had to call the dealer and the Dealer "Big Red Sports and Imports" gave us a ride home while they towed our car back to the dealer ship. They had it a few days then gave it back apparently it was empty on gas is what the dealership said it had vapor locked due to no fuel. And i always thought dealerships that sell new cars filled the tank up.?? This car stayed in the dealer ship garage at "Big Red Sports and Imports more than it was in my garage at home." Lots of repairs fuel system repair master cylinder repair Engine replacement catalyic converter replacement and the list goes on. Finally I gave up and Traded it in. The dealership "Big Red Sports and Imports refused to acknowledge that this vehicle was a LEMON. This car cost more for repairs every month than the car payment was.

Disappointed.
By addii

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car second hand from a guy who drove mostly highway. In the few months that I have owned it The hatchback has locked up several times, the driver's side door only works half the time (meaning I have to climb out the passenger seat). The car has stalled on me in mid-intersection. The engine light came on and car started to lug, had to pull over it lost all acceleration. The engine constantly revs and drops back down making it impossible to get to the speed you want easily. The back right window will not open from drivers panel. Overall I'm really unhappy with this car and regret buying it.

the sound system was great, loved the space and the style of it.

Everything, I am so fed up with this car and it's constant crap.

No more Kias
By Kat Kat

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Worst Car ever once I got it I had to take in in after a few months do to the weather guard on the windows being deformed. Tires blow out so fast on this tire it's not even funny. If it weren't for the great mileage it would have no up side.

Easy to drive when it works

Better body, better seats. Better everything!

Build quality
By kramer

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the car has been reliable, requiring little maintenance. However many smaller items such as door handles, rear hatch handle, wiper arms, and headlight bulbs fail. Also horn no longer works, keyless entry no longer works, and power locks malfunction, indicating poor electrical system.

Reasonable handling, good fuel economy, reliable engine.

Improve body hardware, improve electrical system, needs one more gear.

Great Econo Coach!
By BILL

2003 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great little cheapie, all I expected was for her to get me from point a to b cheaply, and reliably, and she's definitely filled those requirements. I expected low power due to the engine size but it's more than sufficient on flat roadways. I would not recommend the automatic, in hilly or mountainous conditions, since the computer wants to up and downshift to maintain road speed. I haul a lot and this little wagon just keeps on chuggin', my gas guzzlers stay at home while I drive this one back and forth to work. I doubt you could have found a better car for the price back in 2003.

Looks, interior layout, quality of construction, driver's arm rest.

Factory cruise control as standard equipment.