Used 2003 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Rio Sedan

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Good Running Car
By Jenevra Smith

2003 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great car. I bought it used in 2006 and it now has 130000 miles and is still running great. I'm on the second timing belt, and replaced the clutch at 120000. I try to keep up on the scheduled maintenance, and this car has never left me stranded. I will drive it until it falls apart.

Favorite Features

I like the small compact size. This car has no frills, no power anything but it does have AC. Repair prices are reasonable.

Suggested Improvements

It is very low geared, so gas mileage isn't awesome but it's decent. It really needs a 6th gear and a bigger gas tank (it only holds 8-9 gallons).

Good no frills putter
By spaded92

2003 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great car if you need a get around vehicle..bought my 03' back in 07'. Had around 48k miles back then..Now sitting at around 125. Worst thing that's happened is a A/C line sprung a leak..no biggy..On my second timing belt..did the water pump, tensioner and pulley on the second one..lasted 120k no problems just didn't wanna chance it this next 60k. It dent's easily and the paint quality is mediocre,clearcoat sucks..the door locks have an attitude sometimes but that didn't start until the 10 yr/100k warranty was up..its an old car that's taken a fair beating..Engine still runs smooth like new. Doesn't leak a drop. I have faith this car will last another 100k if I keep it up as I have.

Favorite Features

Adjustable height and lumbar on driver seat,tachometer on at least my manual,Factory speakers still have good highs and lows for an entry level car that's 10+ years old. I get anywhere from 33-38 mpg in my manual 1.6..great little motor,I can see it being sluggish with an auto but the manual is great for getting up to speed. I'd never own anything 4 cylinder if I couldn't get a manual though.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had a interior trunk release, water pump design is a pain..should have been driven by timing belt like most cars that have timing belts.

5-ATAR???????????????
By papatesky

2003 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I feel the need to advise you and all humanity not to buy a product. If you heed my advice your life may be saved! My advice is NEVER to buy a RIO, [non-permissible content removed]. On December eight two thousand and three, I was driving a RIO, Just northeast of Midwest Wyoming. I had a head-on collision, the Airbag and seat belt did not function. I was immediately in a two and one half month coma. When I woke up I was told I HAD TWO BROKEN FEMURS, TWO SHATTERED KNEECAPS, A BROKEN FOOT AND A TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury)! My Life Was completely Altered! I am the father of 4 wonderful young-ones, the two boys are Nine and Fourteen and my two girls are ages Thirteen and Eleven. Im not the man she..

Favorite Features

It would have Been nice if the safety equipment actually Worked!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Air-Bag & Safety-Belt!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty Terrible
By ultrarunner100

2003 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Car had less than 90k miles when the engine failed. No power, looks terrible. I'm 6'4" and I barely fit in the car.

good little car
By altimax9091

2003 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

i replaced the timing belt and water pump at 60k ...a lot of people don't know ...right now has 92k ..its been reliable ..really good in gas since its standar ..power windows terrible ..don`t work ..but i don`t care as long the a/c, heater works ..very cheap to fix , parts etc ..and looks easy , my friend has a rio that has 140k and still running strong

Favorite Features

nothing really ..very simple , kinda ugly car ..

Suggested Improvements

power windows!!!!