Used 2003 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

The Lemon I bought ...
By Tom T

2003 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

...at Big Red Sports and imports (Norman Oklahoma ). On the day i purchased my new car with less than 20 miles showing on the odometer. The car was new fresh new car smell looked great. I started Drive just 10 mile from the dealership home and the car broke down and would not start, I had to call the dealer and the Dealer "Big Red Sports and Imports" gave us a ride home while they towed our car back to the dealer ship. They had it a few days then gave it back apparently it was empty on gas is what the dealership said it had vapor locked due to no fuel. And i always thought dealerships that sell new cars filled the tank up.?? This car stayed in the dealer ship garage at "Big Red Sports and Imports more than it was in my garage at home." Lots of repairs fuel system repair master cylinder repair Engine replacement catalyic converter replacement and the list goes on. Finally I gave up and Traded it in. The dealership "Big Red Sports and Imports refused to acknowledge that this vehicle was a LEMON. This car cost more for repairs every month than the car payment was.

Good Running Car
By Jenevra Smith

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great car. I bought it used in 2006 and it now has 130000 miles and is still running great. I'm on the second timing belt, and replaced the clutch at 120000. I try to keep up on the scheduled maintenance, and this car has never left me stranded. I will drive it until it falls apart.

I like the small compact size. This car has no frills, no power anything but it does have AC. Repair prices are reasonable.

It is very low geared, so gas mileage isn't awesome but it's decent. It really needs a 6th gear and a bigger gas tank (it only holds 8-9 gallons).

Good no frills putter
By spaded92

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great car if you need a get around vehicle..bought my 03' back in 07'. Had around 48k miles back then..Now sitting at around 125. Worst thing that's happened is a A/C line sprung a leak..no biggy..On my second timing belt..did the water pump, tensioner and pulley on the second one..lasted 120k no problems just didn't wanna chance it this next 60k. It dent's easily and the paint quality is mediocre,clearcoat sucks..the door locks have an attitude sometimes but that didn't start until the 10 yr/100k warranty was up..its an old car that's taken a fair beating..Engine still runs smooth like new. Doesn't leak a drop. I have faith this car will last another 100k if I keep it up as I have.

Adjustable height and lumbar on driver seat,tachometer on at least my manual,Factory speakers still have good highs and lows for an entry level car that's 10+ years old. I get anywhere from 33-38 mpg in my manual 1.6..great little motor,I can see it being sluggish with an auto but the manual is great for getting up to speed. I'd never own anything 4 cylinder if I couldn't get a manual though.

Wish it had a interior trunk release, water pump design is a pain..should have been driven by timing belt like most cars that have timing belts.

5-ATAR???????????????
By papatesky

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I feel the need to advise you and all humanity not to buy a product. If you heed my advice your life may be saved! My advice is NEVER to buy a RIO, [non-permissible content removed]. On December eight two thousand and three, I was driving a RIO, Just northeast of Midwest Wyoming. I had a head-on collision, the Airbag and seat belt did not function. I was immediately in a two and one half month coma. When I woke up I was told I HAD TWO BROKEN FEMURS, TWO SHATTERED KNEECAPS, A BROKEN FOOT AND A TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury)! My Life Was completely Altered! I am the father of 4 wonderful young-ones, the two boys are Nine and Fourteen and my two girls are ages Thirteen and Eleven. Im not the man she..

It would have Been nice if the safety equipment actually Worked!!!!!!!!!!

Air-Bag & Safety-Belt!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty Terrible
By ultrarunner100

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Car had less than 90k miles when the engine failed. No power, looks terrible. I'm 6'4" and I barely fit in the car.