2003 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Good no frills putter
By spaded92 on 02/20/14 03:33 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great car if you need a get around vehicle..bought my 03' back in 07'. Had around 48k miles back then..Now sitting at around 125. Worst thing that's happened is a A/C line sprung a leak..no biggy..On my second timing belt..did the water pump, tensioner and pulley on the second one..lasted 120k no problems just didn't wanna chance it this next 60k. It dent's easily and the paint quality is mediocre,clearcoat sucks..the door locks have an attitude sometimes but that didn't start until the 10 yr/100k warranty was up..its an old car that's taken a fair beating..Engine still runs smooth like new. Doesn't leak a drop. I have faith this car will last another 100k if I keep it up as I have.

5-ATAR???????????????
By papatesky on 01/29/13 15:39 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I feel the need to advise you and all humanity not to buy a product. If you heed my advice your life may be saved! My advice is NEVER to buy a RIO, [non-permissible content removed]. On December eight two thousand and three, I was driving a RIO, Just northeast of Midwest Wyoming. I had a head-on collision, the Airbag and seat belt did not function. I was immediately in a two and one half month coma. When I woke up I was told I HAD TWO BROKEN FEMURS, TWO SHATTERED KNEECAPS, A BROKEN FOOT AND A TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury)! My Life Was completely Altered! I am the father of 4 wonderful young-ones, the two boys are Nine and Fourteen and my two girls are ages Thirteen and Eleven. Im not the man she..

Pretty Terrible
By ultrarunner100 on 08/20/12 21:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Car had less than 90k miles when the engine failed. No power, looks terrible. I'm 6'4" and I barely fit in the car.

good little car
By altimax9091 on 02/15/12 23:06 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

i replaced the timing belt and water pump at 60k ...a lot of people don't know ...right now has 92k ..its been reliable ..really good in gas since its standar ..power windows terrible ..don`t work ..but i don`t care as long the a/c, heater works ..very cheap to fix , parts etc ..and looks easy , my friend has a rio that has 140k and still running strong

Disappointed.
By addii on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car second hand from a guy who drove mostly highway. In the few months that I have owned it The hatchback has locked up several times, the driver's side door only works half the time (meaning I have to climb out the passenger seat). The car has stalled on me in mid-intersection. The engine light came on and car started to lug, had to pull over it lost all acceleration. The engine constantly revs and drops back down making it impossible to get to the speed you want easily. The back right window will not open from drivers panel. Overall I'm really unhappy with this car and regret buying it.

Kia Rio
By D on 06/11/10 12:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for two years and had a lot of problems with it mechanically. Through the short time I had it, it dropped a cylinder, the timing belt broke, bending all of the valves and the ball bearing went bad three times. It was very fuel efficient and not a bad deal for the price, but there is a reason that they are so inexpensive.

2003 Kia Rio
By KiaRio on 05/28/10 13:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 4 years now and have had no issues with it. It has been very reliable, although a little small and not a lot of power. The fuel economy is great, I spend about $40.00/month driving it when gas prices are lower and about $60.00 per month in the summer season. The only thing that has ticked me off is that the paint on mine has started to chip off the door handles and the clear coat is coming off, not sure if this is a defect that only I have had issues with.

Not a bad ride
By molly on 02/10/10 00:32 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The car had limited power but was reliable and had amazing gas mileage. There were numerous problems but each was a low cost repair or not worth repairing. All door locks failed to work, doors would not stay shut in the winter, interior lights flashed, check engine light turned on and off, there was always oil in the 3rd cylinder, clutch began wearing at 70,000 miles, front brakes were replaced at 60,000 miles. Various noises started coming from the front end or engine after about 60,000 miles. I miss the fuel economy but the car was traded in at 78,000 miles do to numerous problems. Though because of reliability, I upgraded to another kia product.

Fine Piece of Machinery
By Tom on 11/23/09 21:22 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I took over ownership of the car at 17000 miles from my Dad. Currently it has over 92000 miles on it and runs like new.Fuel economy is great.I live in Chicago currently and consistently return over 30mpg in heavy traffic and lots of urban driving.Open road and under less stressful conditions at my previous residence I was consistently returning 36-41 depending on the situation.Kia has the stigma of being cheap but I assure this car is not cheap.It performs very well and I have spent nothing on maintenance except for the usual things like oil changes.The only thing special I do with it is that I use a product called engine restore after each oil change.Kia has done a great job.

No more Kias
By Kat Kat on 08/06/09 23:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Worst Car ever once I got it I had to take in in after a few months do to the weather guard on the windows being deformed. Tires blow out so fast on this tire it's not even funny. If it weren't for the great mileage it would have no up side.