2002 Kia Rio Consumer Review: Mixed bag

2002 Kia Rio - Consumer Review

Cinco Wagon (1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Mixed bag
By treacherousdad on

2002 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little Kia... except that this year has many problems. You either get one that will last forever, or you get an utter lemon. My luck has given me the latter. These things have a nasty habit of bad grounds, blowing head gaskets, and having sensors go out... all at a premium cost if you can even find the parts. If the car were more reliable, I would recommend it to anyone. What I love is the handling. The car is fun to toss around in S-turns and roundabouts. I like the interior and it is comfortable. RPM spin a little high on the freeway, but then the motor is tiny, so what do you expect.

Handling, safety, interior comfort and design.

Car needs to be more reliable and parts cheaper and easier to find. More power needed, 98 hp is just too weak if you have to drive in traffic.
By treeva
on 05/28/11 21:34 PM (PDT)

I totally agree with you!! I had a 2002 kia rio cinco up until a week ago. It broke down and would not start so i began the dreaded parts search with no luck. My husband is our mechanic and today he went to drain the oil but it was all in the radiator. The motor is f#$%&%d maybe its fate cause i hated looking for parts for that car. Everything else is great but the head is cracked. im wanting to sell the good, useable parts off it so some others wont have to look as hard for parts. I did love the car and it was fun in the snow and ice. I agree they do need to be more reliable and the -parts cheaper and easier to find. sorry to ramble.