2002 Kia Rio Consumer Review: The Little Rio That Could

2002 Kia Rio - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

The Little Rio That Could
By RoNiN on

2002 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a follow-up on this car. In short, I bought it early summer 2008 USED with 69K on the odometer. It's coming up on 100000. By the end of this year it'll be beyond that. Things I've replaced so far are four sets of tires about 5 oil changes and a right rear wheel bearing that was going. Other than that, this car is still going. I live in Florida and without AC you'd die out here. I have not had to refill the AC unit yet. It's still going strong. One of the best AC units out there. I'm going to put tint on the windows this winter and see if that'll make a difference. I'm still on the original brake pads when I bought the car.

Fuel economy, reliability and simplicity. Transmission shifts smooth. The engine with its 97 ponies is very elastic.

My only issues with the baseline model, the idle is rough when the AC is on. The rear coil-springs are too soft with 4 adults in the car and to Kia, put cruise control in your sub-compacts ! ! !