2002 Kia Rio Wagon Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Rio Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
trouble free miles
By nan25 on 10/11/13 00:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Everytime I get asked about the car i have said this. Bought her new with zero dealer add ons. Starting at 40K and today I'd say "got 207K trouble free miles" Check engine light has been working for 11 yrs. Gotta ignore it, it rearly goes off. I am lazy but do the oil changes religiously & read the review warning about timing belts. Got that at 149,000. At 200,000 got front wheel bearings & someother stuff there for $700. Hatch latch broke, using a bunge cord. If you dont like yours I will buy it :)

2002 Rio Wagon
By mako787 on 02/02/13 17:22 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just purchased a Cinco wagon in January with 106,000 miles on it. It was in excellent condition and I hoped to get a reliable car that was cheap to drive and maintain. I had an older Buick that had cost me a fortune and the engine was knocking so bad I was afraid it was going to throw a rod in my driveway. So far this Kia has been reliable except for the check engine light coming on abut five times now. First it was the O2 sensors that had already been changed out but I had to get another one anyway and then it was the gas cap. Now it came on again and I have no idea what it is this time. The car is noisy and has little power with the AC running.

Cheap and Crappy
By jjepps15 on 12/26/11 22:14 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 50,000 and it has been nothing but problems from day 1. I want to sell it ASAP so I dont have to keep paying for it. My mechanic said that is just a cheap car.

Mixed bag
By treacherousdad on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little Kia... except that this year has many problems. You either get one that will last forever, or you get an utter lemon. My luck has given me the latter. These things have a nasty habit of bad grounds, blowing head gaskets, and having sensors go out... all at a premium cost if you can even find the parts. If the car were more reliable, I would recommend it to anyone. What I love is the handling. The car is fun to toss around in S-turns and roundabouts. I like the interior and it is comfortable. RPM spin a little high on the freeway, but then the motor is tiny, so what do you expect.

So So Car
By macbob on 06/05/10 04:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Recently bought this used Kia Rio Cinco with 33.000 original miles. Weak performance, especially with a/c on. Engine light is on and not fixed yet. Unknown why light is on. Car handles badly with vibrations, etc. A car with only 33k miles should not have these problems. My 1991 Buick regal I sold to buy this Kia was a lot better running car. No more Kia for me.

Do not buy one
By Don't Buy ONE! on 05/30/10 20:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rio in January with 68K miles and not after 5 months of driving the engine died! I was on the freeway and it seized! After inspection they thought it was a timing belt but in the process of inspection of the engine found that the lower part of the engine died and then broke the timing belt, spark plugs blown into bits and pieces! After call KIA they said that the last 2 years they made better engines and the engine in the 2002 was not "good." They tried to sell me a new kia but after my experance I will never buy a kia and never recommend them to a friend, in fact I told my friend who owns a kia to sell his fast! Don't get one!

120,000 and still running great
By bl on 08/02/09 15:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My cinco has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I'm so happy with it I'm buying another kia. Why can't we build cars this reliable. I only wish they put a light in the glove compartment.

I love it
By Riand on 07/16/09 22:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little Kia , its done well over the years and have been reliable. I havent had any problems with the car and I would recomend some one to buy!

ooops
By Ron Kotler on 06/10/09 16:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fuel mi.(@55mph.) stinks,,,trans. hunts all the time. driving layout poor. body, at freeway speeds, sounds like your in a wind tunnel. just a terrible auto! I'm afraid to drive it, it may cost me again.It holds the road ,,,,Not.

Miss my wagon
By kialover15 on 01/01/09 17:55 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought a Kia Rio Cinco back in June of 2007, we bought it for one reason, gas mileage. It replaced a 94 Cadillac Deville, (15 mpg). This Rio would get 32 mpg city every time, and only one trip on the highway we got 37 mpg! Going 70-75 mpg (no cruise). Loved this car. We had only trouble with it, and that was when I was driving, the rear right wheel locked up, as if the emergency brake had been applied to just the wheel. But what actually happened was that the rod that makes the wheel turn, was so rusted it collapsed. We would still have this car today if some idiot didn't run through a red light and total it. Tough car, I wasn't killed.