2002 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Mixed feelings. Under-rated, but I won't buy a Kia again.
By harmonia2927 on 01/09/13 11:32 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first college car. I bought it in summer of 2010 with 96,000 miles on it. I blindly went into buying it, no research done. I ended up falling in love with this little car. I drove it to school and back SEVERAL times (10 hour drive), and went on many road trips in it. It also made it up my mile-long dirt road at home. I'm surprised it lasted. PROS: great gas mileage, runs well with normal maintenance CONS: noisy engine, doesn't accelerate well with the AC on, tin can, cheaply made, manual windows and locks, tiny back seat I drove it to 118,885 miles. It could have lasted longer, but I hit a deer and totalled it. :( Lesson learned, I won't buy a Kia again. But it was fun.

Loooooove this car!!
By sxbombannie on 01/03/12 19:14 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

i just wanted to let everyone know what happened to me so it won't happen to you. i bought this car in 2007 with 20,000 miles for $4000. i know it's horrible but i only got maybe 3 or 4 oil changes. the car has 107,000 miles now. but this car just kept on going. i hit a wall on the highway goin about 50 and i just drove it away. never ever had a problem until 80,000 miles needed new wheel bearings. almost $500. not too bad. kept on going til pulling into my driveway one day it just dies! i knew it was the end because the car had been so good to me it was gonna end its life pulling into the driveway. got it towed to the mechanic and yup, the timing chain broke. broke the engine, $2500 to fix.

Love my Rio!!!!!
By debj1 on 09/24/11 12:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bougth my Rio used with about 50,000 miles on it in 2004. I've only put normal maintanence in it, except for the rear wheel barring that need to be replaced. I absolutely love driving it!!!! I'll be buying a Sportage in the next few months, but I will be keeping my Rio. It will remain my go to car, at least until it dies. I'm at 150,000 miles right now and hopeing I'll get a 100,000 more out of it. Not much on luxury, but a true JOY to drive!!!!!!!

My red hot kia rio
By My red hot kia rio on 05/10/10 14:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got my kia used for $2000.00. My check engine light came on after four days. So I took it to auto zone. It was the mass air sensor. Then I took it to kia they told me it would be $360.00 to fix. I started asking around. You can buy cleaner for the sensor. It will fix the problem most of the time. You can get the mass air sensor cleaner at autozone for $7.00. If you take the air filter out spray the cleaner there with someone giving the car gas for about a min. This safed me $360.00.

Great economy car very dependable.
By Mark on 01/04/10 18:24 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Kia Rio 4 door sedan. I buy the base model with no power steering, no air, no radio. I live in Minnesota and in the winter at 20-30 below zero it always starts right away and heats up in less then 2 miles of driving. Gas mileage is 33-35 city and 45-48 highway. This car uses the old Mazda 626 drivetrain and so it is a very dependable car. Several of my family members have also purchased either the Rio, or Sophia. Just a really dependable vehicle for the day to day drive, with a fully adjustable drivers seat (On the Rio only). Maintenance through the dealership is very reasonable compared to other cars.

The Little Rio That Could
By RoNiN on 10/01/09 07:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a follow-up on this car. In short, I bought it early summer 2008 USED with 69K on the odometer. It's coming up on 100000. By the end of this year it'll be beyond that. Things I've replaced so far are four sets of tires about 5 oil changes and a right rear wheel bearing that was going. Other than that, this car is still going. I live in Florida and without AC you'd die out here. I have not had to refill the AC unit yet. It's still going strong. One of the best AC units out there. I'm going to put tint on the windows this winter and see if that'll make a difference. I'm still on the original brake pads when I bought the car.

Solid and Sane
By albuscornix on 07/08/09 20:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with the car so far, it runs well, gets amazing mileage, and is fairly comfortable, the interior is a little cheap, but it keeps moving and thats what matters.

Desert Diver
By bobbytimmy on 07/05/09 10:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Has been a great daily driver thus far. Brakes and maintenance have only been minor thus far. Outstanding Air conditioning but noticeable pausing from time to time. We're getting 33 mpg on mostly cross town driving (60 miles daily}Air is on 1st setting.

vegas daily driver
By vegas driver on 05/26/09 22:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great little vehicle. Get's 35 mpg mixed city driving. Was a vehicle from michigan and had little spots of rust on trunk, undercarraige. replaced breaks, wipers, basic items. May need Motor mounts eventually. 1st car I've had without p/w, p/l. Compact little car I use synthetic oil for daily driving. Avg.300 miles on 9 gal tank. Wish it had criuse as an option. Nice little vehicle for the money and certainly for the year. Could see another 100k, with minimal costs involved. Oh,A/C great on 1st setting here in the desert!

Money well spent
By Roguebull on 12/27/08 09:56 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought Rio with 53K miles on it (still in warranty!), took the back seats out, used it as a mini ranch truck so I could drive my truck less. I live in the cold Pacific Northwest but the Rio has never failed to start on the first revolution. I've had it off road, (which it is not designed for), and on snowy mountain fire trails. I carried lumber, pipe, dogs and feed bags inside with the windows up and the rear seats out. It got from 29 mpg to 37 mpg depending on how I used it. Only complaint: little hard for big man in western hat to squeeze in and out of. But it never let me down in 40K miles, did all it was asked to do and more, and thus is one of the best buys for the dollar I've owned.