2002 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
trouble free miles
By nan25 on 10/11/13 00:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Everytime I get asked about the car i have said this. Bought her new with zero dealer add ons. Starting at 40K and today I'd say "got 207K trouble free miles" Check engine light has been working for 11 yrs. Gotta ignore it, it rearly goes off. I am lazy but do the oil changes religiously & read the review warning about timing belts. Got that at 149,000. At 200,000 got front wheel bearings & someother stuff there for $700. Hatch latch broke, using a bunge cord. If you dont like yours I will buy it :)

2002 Rio Wagon
By mako787 on 02/02/13 17:22 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just purchased a Cinco wagon in January with 106,000 miles on it. It was in excellent condition and I hoped to get a reliable car that was cheap to drive and maintain. I had an older Buick that had cost me a fortune and the engine was knocking so bad I was afraid it was going to throw a rod in my driveway. So far this Kia has been reliable except for the check engine light coming on abut five times now. First it was the O2 sensors that had already been changed out but I had to get another one anyway and then it was the gas cap. Now it came on again and I have no idea what it is this time. The car is noisy and has little power with the AC running.

Mixed feelings. Under-rated, but I won't buy a Kia again.
By harmonia2927 on 01/09/13 11:32 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first college car. I bought it in summer of 2010 with 96,000 miles on it. I blindly went into buying it, no research done. I ended up falling in love with this little car. I drove it to school and back SEVERAL times (10 hour drive), and went on many road trips in it. It also made it up my mile-long dirt road at home. I'm surprised it lasted. PROS: great gas mileage, runs well with normal maintenance CONS: noisy engine, doesn't accelerate well with the AC on, tin can, cheaply made, manual windows and locks, tiny back seat I drove it to 118,885 miles. It could have lasted longer, but I hit a deer and totalled it. :( Lesson learned, I won't buy a Kia again. But it was fun.

Loooooove this car!!
By sxbombannie on 01/03/12 19:14 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

i just wanted to let everyone know what happened to me so it won't happen to you. i bought this car in 2007 with 20,000 miles for $4000. i know it's horrible but i only got maybe 3 or 4 oil changes. the car has 107,000 miles now. but this car just kept on going. i hit a wall on the highway goin about 50 and i just drove it away. never ever had a problem until 80,000 miles needed new wheel bearings. almost $500. not too bad. kept on going til pulling into my driveway one day it just dies! i knew it was the end because the car had been so good to me it was gonna end its life pulling into the driveway. got it towed to the mechanic and yup, the timing chain broke. broke the engine, $2500 to fix.

Cheap and Crappy
By jjepps15 on 12/26/11 22:14 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 50,000 and it has been nothing but problems from day 1. I want to sell it ASAP so I dont have to keep paying for it. My mechanic said that is just a cheap car.

Love my Rio!!!!!
By debj1 on 09/24/11 12:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bougth my Rio used with about 50,000 miles on it in 2004. I've only put normal maintanence in it, except for the rear wheel barring that need to be replaced. I absolutely love driving it!!!! I'll be buying a Sportage in the next few months, but I will be keeping my Rio. It will remain my go to car, at least until it dies. I'm at 150,000 miles right now and hopeing I'll get a 100,000 more out of it. Not much on luxury, but a true JOY to drive!!!!!!!

Mixed bag
By treacherousdad on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little Kia... except that this year has many problems. You either get one that will last forever, or you get an utter lemon. My luck has given me the latter. These things have a nasty habit of bad grounds, blowing head gaskets, and having sensors go out... all at a premium cost if you can even find the parts. If the car were more reliable, I would recommend it to anyone. What I love is the handling. The car is fun to toss around in S-turns and roundabouts. I like the interior and it is comfortable. RPM spin a little high on the freeway, but then the motor is tiny, so what do you expect.

So So Car
By macbob on 06/05/10 04:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Recently bought this used Kia Rio Cinco with 33.000 original miles. Weak performance, especially with a/c on. Engine light is on and not fixed yet. Unknown why light is on. Car handles badly with vibrations, etc. A car with only 33k miles should not have these problems. My 1991 Buick regal I sold to buy this Kia was a lot better running car. No more Kia for me.

Do not buy one
By Don't Buy ONE! on 05/30/10 20:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rio in January with 68K miles and not after 5 months of driving the engine died! I was on the freeway and it seized! After inspection they thought it was a timing belt but in the process of inspection of the engine found that the lower part of the engine died and then broke the timing belt, spark plugs blown into bits and pieces! After call KIA they said that the last 2 years they made better engines and the engine in the 2002 was not "good." They tried to sell me a new kia but after my experance I will never buy a kia and never recommend them to a friend, in fact I told my friend who owns a kia to sell his fast! Don't get one!

My red hot kia rio
By My red hot kia rio on 05/10/10 14:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got my kia used for $2000.00. My check engine light came on after four days. So I took it to auto zone. It was the mass air sensor. Then I took it to kia they told me it would be $360.00 to fix. I started asking around. You can buy cleaner for the sensor. It will fix the problem most of the time. You can get the mass air sensor cleaner at autozone for $7.00. If you take the air filter out spray the cleaner there with someone giving the car gas for about a min. This safed me $360.00.