Used 2001 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Love it
By mykia2

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

i absolutely love my kia. i got my rio sedan with about 83,500 miles on it and now has 90,000+. when i bought it the fuel pump was about done with itself so i bought a new fuel pump for $110 and works gret now. while takes a minute to gety up to speed on the highway because of the engine size, the car works great in town.i am nothing but excited to drive this car all the time. sometimes i will find myself just leaving the house to take a cruise just for the sake of driving it. the front ond was rattling alot but i just wrapped some electrical tape around the hook to hole the hood down and it stopped.great car i have owned. my car came with the original radio stereo and has only a tape player

interior, sound of engine when you rev it

cd player, tacometer, little bit bigger engine.

Love my Little Car
By Taclivin

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This little car has been a great one. No issues with regular oil changes, tires, and brakes. It is a tiny car and really only fits the driver comfortably. Kids in the back have absolutely NO leg room,and if you have a passenger next to you be prepared to be close...really close.This little car never did me any wrong, and with had no frills, there was never anything extra to break. It was my daily commuter. The heater in this car works amazingly! Cold start to fully thawed in 5min flat! After ten years it has began to rattle itself to death. To the point where I no longer want to drive on the freeway. I have no interest in getting my little beater fixed, just gonna drive it till it dies.

Gas Mileage and reliability.

Would not buy one with more than 100K It has a short life span

Good first car
By rio888

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it used with 98,000 miles. Now it has 138,000. I have driven it across the country and back, with no porblems and good gas mileage Mine gets in the low 30's city, and high 30's highway. It doesnt have much power, put it still runs good at 80 mph, and topped it out at 116. If you don't mind an odd looking car, then get it. It dont have ac or power steering, but its small and not hard to steer, and ac is overated.

The engine is real straight forward and easy to work on. Everything is in plain sight and you don't have to dig around to find anything. You can change oil without even jacking it.

Body design. It is very odd looking.

Problem child
By Cinda

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I inherited my Rio and have had problems with the motor mounts (heavy shaking). The engine light continued to come on and when I had taken it for a diagnostic they couldn't find the problem. Then we started replacing everything coil, wires, plugs etc. The engine light still came on of course they charged me for another diagnostic! Replaced the #1 fuel injector less than a year ago, seemed to fix the problem. Guess what! The engine light is on again and it's misfiring again due to the #1 fuel injector. This car has been nothing but a HUGE MONEY PIT! My mother is probably rolling over in her grave and very sorry she left me this trash car.

Compact easy to park when it's not broken down.

Better fuel injection system, better access to cup holders and cup holders that cups actually fit into. Stronger metal I've seen tin cans that don't dent as easy as this car. Buyer beware, I will never buy another Kia product.

No real complaints
By Josh

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my rio with 60,000 miles on it, it now has 128,000 and have done nothing but replace the rear wheel bearings, it's very gutless but the manual tranny helps. it should have been made a coupe or roadster, since the backseat is pointless, and a manual w/o a tach. is just silly, but very relaible, economic, and out does all those useless SUV's in every way, especially the handling! I love my car, even though it's not perfect

Handling, fit's in tight spaces, fuel economy, stopping distance, and ease of maintenance.

keep it lightweight, don't increase interior space, remove the rear doors or give a two door option, add internal trunk access, and a tachometer, and a few more ft.lbs. of torque wouldn't hurt either