2001 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews

2001 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Love it
By mykia2 on 11/04/11 11:29 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

i absolutely love my kia. i got my rio sedan with about 83,500 miles on it and now has 90,000+. when i bought it the fuel pump was about done with itself so i bought a new fuel pump for $110 and works gret now. while takes a minute to gety up to speed on the highway because of the engine size, the car works great in town.i am nothing but excited to drive this car all the time. sometimes i will find myself just leaving the house to take a cruise just for the sake of driving it. the front ond was rattling alot but i just wrapped some electrical tape around the hook to hole the hood down and it stopped.great car i have owned. my car came with the original radio stereo and has only a tape player

Love my Little Car
By Taclivin on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This little car has been a great one. No issues with regular oil changes, tires, and brakes. It is a tiny car and really only fits the driver comfortably. Kids in the back have absolutely NO leg room,and if you have a passenger next to you be prepared to be close...really close.This little car never did me any wrong, and with had no frills, there was never anything extra to break. It was my daily commuter. The heater in this car works amazingly! Cold start to fully thawed in 5min flat! After ten years it has began to rattle itself to death. To the point where I no longer want to drive on the freeway. I have no interest in getting my little beater fixed, just gonna drive it till it dies.

Good first car
By rio888 on 08/31/10 20:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it used with 98,000 miles. Now it has 138,000. I have driven it across the country and back, with no porblems and good gas mileage Mine gets in the low 30's city, and high 30's highway. It doesnt have much power, put it still runs good at 80 mph, and topped it out at 116. If you don't mind an odd looking car, then get it. It dont have ac or power steering, but its small and not hard to steer, and ac is overated.

Problem child
By Cinda on 02/20/10 06:22 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I inherited my Rio and have had problems with the motor mounts (heavy shaking). The engine light continued to come on and when I had taken it for a diagnostic they couldn't find the problem. Then we started replacing everything coil, wires, plugs etc. The engine light still came on of course they charged me for another diagnostic! Replaced the #1 fuel injector less than a year ago, seemed to fix the problem. Guess what! The engine light is on again and it's misfiring again due to the #1 fuel injector. This car has been nothing but a HUGE MONEY PIT! My mother is probably rolling over in her grave and very sorry she left me this trash car.

No real complaints
By Josh on 09/30/09 13:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my rio with 60,000 miles on it, it now has 128,000 and have done nothing but replace the rear wheel bearings, it's very gutless but the manual tranny helps. it should have been made a coupe or roadster, since the backseat is pointless, and a manual w/o a tach. is just silly, but very relaible, economic, and out does all those useless SUV's in every way, especially the handling! I love my car, even though it's not perfect

Shake shake shake!
By lilbetty on 08/23/09 15:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Oh my little kia! I got this car in 2007 with 45k on it as a gift from a friend. Great on gas and does pretty well on the hgwy, but, it shakes and shakes, It's noisy like it shook something loose in frnt and no one can figure out why.really my only complaint about my kia. I also have an issue with staying aligned though it may be my own issue as we like to drive dirt roads, this car will take you anywhere, if you don't mind being slow on the hills it's a good ride, I also feel safe, I have been in 2 accidents Though minor and while the other car sustain ample damage the kia had only a paint scratch in each accident...I love this car

Gets you where you need to go
By Rio90 on 08/08/09 15:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from my uncle in late 2008, it had about 88,000 miles on it and I have only put about 3,500 miles on it. It runs pretty nice..better than i had expected. My uncle took very good care of it because the interior still looks great. The car starts always starts right away and i kinda like the sound it makes when you accelerate and the radio is off. Speaking of the radio, mine has the stock with CD player on it, its pretty decent, but will probably put a new one in. Can drive to high speeds(highway)if need be, but most of my driving is in town. Overall, this car has been reliable & hopefully it will keep being a good car to me. I plan on driving it until the wheels come of.

May It Rest In Peace
By MCB on 07/16/09 11:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I drove this car for 6 of it's 8 years of life.... Yesterday a Ford Expedition pulled out in front of me and I T-Bone it.... Air bags deployed as they were supposed to which probably save both my wife an my lives.... The Kia took all the impact and distroyed the front end but the inside was OK... We went to hospital but were relased with only minor nicks and scraps.... I just got back from getting our stuff out of the reckage and had to say good by to an old friend.. Except for minor fix ups and normal oil changes, this car has been a great car for me and my family...... I drive an average of 20,000 miles a year on the freeway and I got 32MPG.. It died with 150000+ miles on it.

garbage car of the year
By jtm on 07/06/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

i have a 2001 kia rio sedan and it is more time parked than running.I'm not satisfied with it's performance economy and service is so expensive.To find part is too difficult

Not worth it
By Becca on 11/29/08 16:31 PM (PST)

2001 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car 2 years ago, and honestly I would have bought something else if I had known what I know now. The check engine light comes on when there is nothing wrong. The parking brake light stays on constantly. It is not a comfortable ride. The vibration is terrible and the car often "jumps" when accelerating. It's not very safe. I was in a minor collision and the other drivers car was not damaged at all, but my bumper fell off and the seatbelt didn't even hold me in place as I bumped my chest into the steering wheel. Its great on gas, but there are much better cars out there for the price.