Refined Luxury with a sporty overtone
By boesman1 on
2013 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Coming out of a 2007 Mazda CX7 GT, I was leaning hard towards a 2014 Mazda6. In my due diligence, I looked at the 2013 Optima which really caught my eye with its beauty. After test driving the SXL w/turbo there was no comparison. With 3k in incentives it was comparable to the Mazda, yet blew it away in creature comforts and luxury. I've had the car for about a week and have no regrets. Having had BMW's, Infinity's and a corvette I can honestly say this car is the nicest I ever owned. Performance is nothing less than amazing with the smoothest power-band I've ever experienced, especially considering the turbo. Comfort and value are second to none. Fun factor remains to be seen as I adjust.
Favorite Features
Exterior & Interior design, panoramic sunroof is really quite eloquent. The cooled seats work great and are a must have with a black interior. Napa leather is incredibly soft and supple.
Suggested Improvements
Shocked that this car does not have blind spot monitoring. I am sure that the 2014 will have it, but its a BIG oversight IMO. Especially considering the blind spots on this vehicle. Thankfully, convex mirrors do the same thing yet at night no so much.
By boesman1
on 08/01/13 15:00 PM (PDT)

Now that I have over 1800 miles on the Optima and have had two 200+mile road trips, I will add a follow-up on the Kia. As much as I am enjoying the car, it definitely lacks a connection with the road - perhaps my CX7 spoiled me. I just wish it had better feedback through the steering which IMO is overly numb. Aside from that a bit disappointed with the fuel economy as I have yet to see over 26.5, most of my driving is city and I'm averaging 18.5. The satellite radio cuts out ALOT and I'm thinking because I'm driving under trees alot ?? Not impressed with that and will likely not renew after the trial period expires.