Issues to watch out for;
By mabstoa on
2013 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
Very good looking car but after 1200 miles I am now on my 6th tank of gas, mpg is about 13-15 in the city and 18-20 on the road. Dealer says wait until after 3500 miles for an improvement. Huge blind spots by rear quarters and both windshield pilars by the sideview mirrors, careful on turns with people crossing!! Wonders/drifts all over the road and constantly correcting for it, makes for a tiring drive. Kia knows about this but... Can not get comfortable in the seats. Very disappointed and lost a day from work due to a flat tire with no spare. Make sure you get the tire insurance policy, you need it. Very hard ride, not a road trip car!! Recommend renting one before you buy it!!!
Favorite Features
Very good looking car, inside and out. Very responsive car to acceleration and turning. Thats about all I can say good about the car!!
Suggested Improvements
Must come with a spare tire and not have it as a $200 kit option. Must correct the wondering and drifting issues like Hyundai did on their models. Must post correct MPG or deliver on the expectations. This car doesn't even come close to the posted MPG. Sorrento owners were offered a rebate paid to them for life for the same poor MPG issues, so you know it is an issue. Seat cushions need to be more comfortable or padded more on the lower cushion. The blind spots are danagerous, maybe put the little window by the sideview mirrors like the Rio model has, anything would help!!
By padriver1979
on 02/26/13 10:39 AM (PST)

I feel your pain. The spare tire option kit is a joke. My local dealer stated that the spare tire was removed to "increase fuel efficiency". We all know it was removed due to cost. This car drinks gas like a V6 or even a V8. My local dealer will do a gas consumption test in which the Service Director will drive 20 miles on the highway with cruise control set on 65 mph and another 10 miles in suburbs. I am setting up an appointment for the test and will report his findings. KIA needs to continue and be investigated for bumping up fuel economy numbers. This 24/35mpg rated car really gets 18/24mpg in the real world.