Used 2013 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2013 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Great car!
By hoagie5

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just traded in a 2011 Optima EX that we thoroughly enjoyed. It was comfortable, great looking, economical, and dependable. We upgraded to an SXL with the turbo and a few more bells and whistles. So far it's everything the first one was plus! After owning a long line of GM products, I can't see ever going back....my experience with these cars is just that good.

Favorite Features

Looks....looks...looks! In the Corsa Blue and previously the Spicy Red, these cars get noticed.

And the winner is?
By autonut134

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

That's it I'm done. I finally bought a car after a solid month of research and test drives. I looked at and considered ford fusion, Nissan Altima, vw jetta and passat, Mazda 6, Honda accord, Hyundai sonata, Acura tl and ixl, and maybe I forgot some.the Optima provided the most bells and whistles, and I'm a sucker for those things, for and unbelievable price. But price alone didn't do it. This car drives and looks great and has an awesome warranty. The interior looks refined and the exterior is youthful and aggressive in a sea of boring cars. The other car that came close was the fusion but it was much more $. I hope the quality is there in the long run but right now I'm very happy with it.

Favorite Features

Heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats. Dual sunroof. Keyless entry push button start and uvo system with Bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

They should include a spare tire. Also all car companies seem to be packaging options together so Kia is no different. But it would be nice to be able to choose some things individually like sunroofs or different wheels. There are 2 power ports in front it would helpful to have one in the rear.

Does everything they say it will +
By richardrp

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought it thinking I would get less than shown on mileage. WRONG !!! After 1000 miles getting, Interstate driving cruising, 70 mph on flat ground, a steady 36.7-.8 mpg. Yesterday a 53 mile return trip driving Interstate Hwy with rolling hills, State Hwy with steep hills, 6 miles of rural blacktop road with high hills and and winding curves, stopping in small town to buy dinner, stopping at 4 stoplights . Average 34.7 mpg, average speed 49 mph for total trip . General driving trip to town driving 26 miles through steep hills on winding road and town driving, average 29.3 mpg. For anyone getting terrible mileage with this engine, try Star Tron add to clean water/crbn from fuel, etc.

Favorite Features

Room inside, overall interior and exterior design, convenience of controls, handling and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Recommend drivers getting bad mileage with the 2.4L engine change driving habits/put good additive in to remove water from fuel, clean carbon from injectors, valves etc.

Optima SX 14,000
By dlehnhoff

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For me the car is fun to drive and I've had a lot of high end German cars along with their high end service and many repair costs. With the SX,enjoy the horsepower and all the amenities inside. Get 23-24 mpg in city, 28 to 31 at 70 mph on freeway. My only complaint is the passenger seat not able to raise. Had a seat heater on front passenger go kaput took awhile to get a new one. Dwight Lehnhoff

Favorite Features

Horsepower, AC seats. profile of the body.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger seat should be available with height adjustment.

Nearly the perfect balance of performance/economy/price.
By steve63_10

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The key to this car is measuring the overall value in a car of this class. Kia has done a great job with a car that has more than adequate performance, a host of standard features, a very roomy and stylish interior, striking looks and the best fuel economy of any car I've owned. I've HAD it with paying for $4/Gal gas and getting 13 mpg's in SUV's and trucks etc. Although I've never gotten 35 mpg as advertised, I have averaged 28.5 in mixed driving. Quite good for a car of it's size and performance level. The LX has all the features we wanted and kept the price very reasonable. Is this the perfect car? No. (see suggested improvements) However, it is quite good at just about everything.

Favorite Features

Good performance/economy ratio. Smooth, quiet ride. Very roomy front seats. Decent standard sound system. Quality interior materials. Great head/fog lights.

Suggested Improvements

Electric steering is quite touchy and takes getting used to. Low front passenger seat that isn't height adjustable. Wipers must be totally clear to lift ANY snow off the windshield. Clunky, light feeling rear doors. Tight rear headroom.