2013 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
major disappointment
By johnlmn on 03/24/13 18:11 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

While it is a very good looking car, with a reasonable ride and handling. The gas mileage is a major disappointment. I would not have even considered the car if I knew its true gas mileage. My previous car had EPA numbers of 19/24/30 and I normally got about 28 mpg. The optima has EPA numbers of 24/28/34 and I get about 25-26 mpg. So with a car with 4mpg better EPA numbers I am getting 2mpg worse gas mileage??? I have had the car into 2 different dealers, both of which say the car is running to spec. The other major disappointment is the UVO sound system. It is fine as long as you use only the radio or CD, but the USB connection is very buggy. When connecting the USB to either a thum

Buyer Beware
By funkster01 on 03/21/13 18:05 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The KIA optima is pretty on the outside, but the quality will leave you stranded on the side of the road. I had a brake warning light issue since I bought the car and KIA tried 7 times to fix it. They finally replaced the entire front wiring harness. Two weeks later the car won't start sometimes (it may or may not start). KIA has been unable to repair the problem ( 2 and 1/2 weeks of diagnosing). They are giving me my broken car back to drive until they get an expert flown in (time unknown) to look at the car. They are also trying to blame the problem on an auto accident that was sheet metal only damage and to the trunk. Avoiding their warranty claims (In My Opinion). Run Away from this car.

GORGEOUS!
By funruffian on 03/18/13 21:04 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car 7 months ago and I am so happy to drive and step into it every day. The looks are Drop dead Gorgeous. The comfort is similar to sitting in your living room. The interior is High-end and state of the art. The drive is smooth and luxurious and I feel as if I'm driving a $40,000 car.

Best Kept Secret on Highway
By jimbojjm on 03/16/13 07:03 AM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I'm shocked at some reviewers complaint about poor gas mileage. I bought a 2013 EX with premium package two weeks ago and can't say enough good things about the car. It receives wow comments from passersby and I'm asked over and over again "How do I like it and how much does it cost?" I got mine for less than $24,000. Sound good to you? I average over 30 mpg in 50/50 city highway driving. When I drive at 65-75 on the hwy I at get about 37 mpg. If you want good mileage you have to learn to and use good green driving habits. There are plenty of articles on the internet on how to get the best mileage out of your car. This car looks great , drives nice, is comfortable and a bargain.

My First KIA and car in a long time
By shoxxaholix on 03/12/13 10:14 AM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Ok, typcially i am a SUV truck\guy. I got this car based on gas mileage and looks. It is like any other car, you drive it hard.. burns gas.. drive it nice.. it does pretty decent.. anything to me was better than 12-17mpg i was getting with my older suv. Its roomy for 7 yr old triplets... driving is a pleasure even though im on the ground again.. even the passenger size has room for my 6.8 friend who fits in it. Overall i am satisfied with it. The dash is nice, performance feels right for a 4 banger... and gas when going from what i was to what i am ..awesome.. i mean.. if i get over 200 miles on a half tank.. and 400 on a full tank.. and im not the nicest of drivers.car is good for me

Mileage Claims
By jake809 on 03/04/13 11:25 AM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Don't know how heavy footed some of the reviewers are, but I'm averaging about 32.5mpg combined. My commute is 35 miles each way, about 1/3 suburban, 1/3 highway and 1/3 city. I regularly use cruise control on the highway, but do not use the ECO control (doesn't seem to help). I used to use my wife's Grand Cherokee on the weekends when I had my Honda Civic, but this one is too comfortable to give up on those 2 days.

what warranty?
By bobbo9 on 02/09/13 14:50 PM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

With less than 3000 miles, the rear bumper cover "separated" from the back side panel. A "clip" which had secured the two panels had broken. They said it was an accident, I said it was a faulty clip. Escalated to Kia regional, and still no satisfaction. I paid $500 out of pocket to get it fixed. Couple this with the fact that I am not getting anywhere near the advertised MPG and I would never buy a Kia product again.

2013 KX - worth a serious thought
By slm67 on 02/09/13 05:27 AM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The inside is roomy, and comfortable. The car warms up quickly. I have yet to take it on longer then a 1 hour drive, but my commute is 30 minutes and I am quite impressed in how comfortable it is. Dealer was excellent. Is a car I love to drive. My gas mileage is good for the size, just under 26 mpg combined. I have to wonder how people are driving that complain about low gas mileage. It is NOT a hybrid, small economy car. It is a mid sized vehicle, comfortably seats 5 and has lots of room. The "no spare tire" complaint to me-well the sealant and pump i like better then being out in the cold and rain changing a tire to a donut..been there, down that. I think this is a better setup.

Very Poor Gas Mileage
By winks1 on 02/01/13 11:19 AM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my 2013 Kia Optima for 6 months have over 15,000 mile on it do mostly highway driving have yet to get better that 26 mpg. Most of the time averaging low 20's. Although it is a beautiful car I would not buy it again. I would go with a car with more proven gas mileage. I Was getting 45+ with my VW Jetta TDI, Will probably go back to them next time.

Issues to watch out for;
By mabstoa on 01/31/13 18:19 PM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very good looking car but after 1200 miles I am now on my 6th tank of gas, mpg is about 13-15 in the city and 18-20 on the road. Dealer says wait until after 3500 miles for an improvement. Huge blind spots by rear quarters and both windshield pilars by the sideview mirrors, careful on turns with people crossing!! Wonders/drifts all over the road and constantly correcting for it, makes for a tiring drive. Kia knows about this but... Can not get comfortable in the seats. Very disappointed and lost a day from work due to a flat tire with no spare. Make sure you get the tire insurance policy, you need it. Very hard ride, not a road trip car!! Recommend renting one before you buy it!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Kia Optima Sedan in VA is:

$162 per month*