2013 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Does everything they say it will +
By richardrp on 04/05/13 08:23 AM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought it thinking I would get less than shown on mileage. WRONG !!! After 1000 miles getting, Interstate driving cruising, 70 mph on flat ground, a steady 36.7-.8 mpg. Yesterday a 53 mile return trip driving Interstate Hwy with rolling hills, State Hwy with steep hills, 6 miles of rural blacktop road with high hills and and winding curves, stopping in small town to buy dinner, stopping at 4 stoplights . Average 34.7 mpg, average speed 49 mph for total trip . General driving trip to town driving 26 miles through steep hills on winding road and town driving, average 29.3 mpg. For anyone getting terrible mileage with this engine, try Star Tron add to clean water/crbn from fuel, etc.

Optima SX 14,000
By dlehnhoff on 04/01/13 16:12 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For me the car is fun to drive and I've had a lot of high end German cars along with their high end service and many repair costs. With the SX,enjoy the horsepower and all the amenities inside. Get 23-24 mpg in city, 28 to 31 at 70 mph on freeway. My only complaint is the passenger seat not able to raise. Had a seat heater on front passenger go kaput took awhile to get a new one. Dwight Lehnhoff

Nearly the perfect balance of performance/economy/price.
By steve63_10 on 03/28/13 23:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The key to this car is measuring the overall value in a car of this class. Kia has done a great job with a car that has more than adequate performance, a host of standard features, a very roomy and stylish interior, striking looks and the best fuel economy of any car I've owned. I've HAD it with paying for $4/Gal gas and getting 13 mpg's in SUV's and trucks etc. Although I've never gotten 35 mpg as advertised, I have averaged 28.5 in mixed driving. Quite good for a car of it's size and performance level. The LX has all the features we wanted and kept the price very reasonable. Is this the perfect car? No. (see suggested improvements) However, it is quite good at just about everything.

Kia Optima
By jshafto on 03/27/13 14:50 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2013 Kia Optima - Absolutely love it!! The salesperson at Young Kia was very knowledgable and was not pushy at all.

major disappointment
By johnlmn on 03/24/13 18:11 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

While it is a very good looking car, with a reasonable ride and handling. The gas mileage is a major disappointment. I would not have even considered the car if I knew its true gas mileage. My previous car had EPA numbers of 19/24/30 and I normally got about 28 mpg. The optima has EPA numbers of 24/28/34 and I get about 25-26 mpg. So with a car with 4mpg better EPA numbers I am getting 2mpg worse gas mileage??? I have had the car into 2 different dealers, both of which say the car is running to spec. The other major disappointment is the UVO sound system. It is fine as long as you use only the radio or CD, but the USB connection is very buggy. When connecting the USB to either a thum

Buyer Beware
By funkster01 on 03/21/13 18:05 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The KIA optima is pretty on the outside, but the quality will leave you stranded on the side of the road. I had a brake warning light issue since I bought the car and KIA tried 7 times to fix it. They finally replaced the entire front wiring harness. Two weeks later the car won't start sometimes (it may or may not start). KIA has been unable to repair the problem ( 2 and 1/2 weeks of diagnosing). They are giving me my broken car back to drive until they get an expert flown in (time unknown) to look at the car. They are also trying to blame the problem on an auto accident that was sheet metal only damage and to the trunk. Avoiding their warranty claims (In My Opinion). Run Away from this car.

GORGEOUS!
By funruffian on 03/18/13 21:04 PM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car 7 months ago and I am so happy to drive and step into it every day. The looks are Drop dead Gorgeous. The comfort is similar to sitting in your living room. The interior is High-end and state of the art. The drive is smooth and luxurious and I feel as if I'm driving a $40,000 car.

Best Kept Secret on Highway
By jimbojjm on 03/16/13 07:03 AM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I'm shocked at some reviewers complaint about poor gas mileage. I bought a 2013 EX with premium package two weeks ago and can't say enough good things about the car. It receives wow comments from passersby and I'm asked over and over again "How do I like it and how much does it cost?" I got mine for less than $24,000. Sound good to you? I average over 30 mpg in 50/50 city highway driving. When I drive at 65-75 on the hwy I at get about 37 mpg. If you want good mileage you have to learn to and use good green driving habits. There are plenty of articles on the internet on how to get the best mileage out of your car. This car looks great , drives nice, is comfortable and a bargain.

My First KIA and car in a long time
By shoxxaholix on 03/12/13 10:14 AM (PDT)

2013 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Ok, typcially i am a SUV truck\guy. I got this car based on gas mileage and looks. It is like any other car, you drive it hard.. burns gas.. drive it nice.. it does pretty decent.. anything to me was better than 12-17mpg i was getting with my older suv. Its roomy for 7 yr old triplets... driving is a pleasure even though im on the ground again.. even the passenger size has room for my 6.8 friend who fits in it. Overall i am satisfied with it. The dash is nice, performance feels right for a 4 banger... and gas when going from what i was to what i am ..awesome.. i mean.. if i get over 200 miles on a half tank.. and 400 on a full tank.. and im not the nicest of drivers.car is good for me

Mileage Claims
By jake809 on 03/04/13 11:25 AM (PST)

2013 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Don't know how heavy footed some of the reviewers are, but I'm averaging about 32.5mpg combined. My commute is 35 miles each way, about 1/3 suburban, 1/3 highway and 1/3 city. I regularly use cruise control on the highway, but do not use the ECO control (doesn't seem to help). I used to use my wife's Grand Cherokee on the weekends when I had my Honda Civic, but this one is too comfortable to give up on those 2 days.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Kia Optima in VA is:

$161 per month*