Used 2013 Kia Optima SX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

2013 KIA Optima SX after 12000 Miles
By achero1

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is a follow up review on my KIA Optima SX after 12000 miles. I purchased my 2013 Optima SX in July of 2013 new after trading out of an Infiniti M35X. The Optima has been a great car. I still can't get over how great the car looks. I commute 80 miles a day round trip to work. After 6 months I have 12000 miles on my Optima. The only issue I have had is the gasket around the moon roof which was replaced by the dealer. I have been averaging with the turbo and running high test (my choice,) on the average 25 miles per-gallon. That is apox. 425 miles on a tank of gas.Living in NH and commuting to Mass the Optima is pretty decent in the snow. Great car all around.

Favorite Features

favorite features are: 4 heated seats, infiniti stereo, 18 inch low profile tires, vented front seats, fit and finish both interior and exterior, UVO system, 2.0 Liter turbo, memory seats, great warranty. KIA has provided great service especially from the dealership (TEAM KIA in Concord NH-Alan and Jonathan are exceptional)

Suggested Improvements

I don't understand why KIA hasn't made the passenger seat height adjustable. Passengers complain the seats sits on the low side. Even on the new cadenza the passenger seat has no adjustments for the height. Rear center seat I would like to have a headrest. Not just KIA but many car companies are no longer putting spare tires in there cars. It's an option.

Super fun SXL sport sedan connects with road in comfort and style at reasonable price!
By robberoony

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love under-rated cars, esp. ones that are transformed when you buy the top of the line model, and SX Limited sure fits this bill! 2l Turbo mill is potent, revs freely, and has a wide power band for it's size. Easily outperforms my 2011 Fusion V6. Handling is also great, very connected to the road, low body roll, wonderful automatic downshifts, quick response off-idle, and a blast to manually up or down shift at any time via the paddles. Comfort is outstanding too, I especially love the cooled seats and soft, high quality leather. Infinity audio + sub is superb! The electronics are also carefully thought out and nicely integrated - nav, phone, audio, voice control all intuitive.

Favorite Features

+Superior value! Gotta be the best sport sedan for the price. Beat 2013 Fusion Ecoboost Titanium & Lacrosse for fun! +Style inside and out! +Full black glass roof looks wicked esp. with white metallic exterior +Tons of thoughtful details in design, fit and finish +Handling and road feel are really great +Potent 2l turbo +Automatic shift points are great under heavy acceleration, but you can beat the auto via the paddle shifters when the need arrises. +Paddle shifters work all the time, no need to switch to manual on the stick. +Great cooled seats front, and four seat heat. +Quiet given suspension and connectedness to road +Folding mirrors a plus +Very cool 18" chrome wheels

Suggested Improvements

-Needs an all wheel drive option, nothing improves handling more for a given chassis than power to all four wheel and some good computer algorithms to control it all. This my Fusion AWD had down pat. -Blind spot monitors would be great option -Very little ambient lighting in cabin, a miss in this day and age. -No puddle lights on mirrors or doors, another miss for the top of the line model -Backup camera is great, but could use obstacle and cross-traffic warning -Crap Hankook tires, good only in warm dry weather, likely will replace with something sticky and versatile like the Continental PureContacts. -No text/email to voice

Best bang for the buck, hands down
By jestmaty1

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

10 months and just shy of 9,000 miles and this car is getting better every day! Quick, stylish, and just plain fun to drive

Favorite Features

panoramic sunroof, turbo spitting out 275 hp and 270 ft-lbs of torque from a 2.0l engine astounds me!

Suggested Improvements

I drive this car 99% like an old man (I'm 48) and can't get CLOSE to the 22mpg city claim. I'm struggling to maintain 19mpg in all-city driving over these last 9k miles. Only hwy trip I took was with a car loaded with 4 adults, a/c on full (summertime in Houston, Tx), and got about 24 mpg at an avg speed of +/- 65 mph

Steering and Milage are Horrible
By whd13b

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First I must start with, the car looks beautiful. Remington Red is a real show stopper. Seats are super comfortable and interior spacious. Needs more storage compartments. Gas wise, horrible. I'm averaging 23 mpg, and Eco changes nothing but the way it drives. Moving on to steering. Refuses to stay on center while driving. Pulls to the left, then when straightened out, goes to the right. Back and forth, but always over steers to the left when on a center plane surface. Very exhausting when driving on the straight run highways off highway, almost caused a few accidents veering into the opposite lane while taking my eyes off the road for a split second to turn AC on or equivalent. Bad!

Favorite Features

Exterior design, color, LED tail lights (why no LED running lights is beyond me on a $30k vehicle), seat comfort, Infinity sound system.

Suggested Improvements

There are 100's of complaints on Optima's steering issue on the internet (ARFC.org) and Kia needs to correct this dangerous defect. Advertise realistic MPG. Offer blind spot monitoring and LED running lights. Strength of rear defroster very weak. Takes over 20 minutes to defrost cool late summer morning moisture on my rear window. Improve entertainment system to offer apps like Pandora, Weather, etc.. Very basic navigation/stereo/climate system as it is now. Other vehicles entertainment systems in this category are much more feature packed.

Best value for sports sedan
By darfer19

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I spent months researching every car on the internet , taking test drives , checking out pricing ... and the Optima SXL was the absolute bext car I could find for me. It gave me exactly what I was looking for which was nice power, decent ga milage , attractive out side packaging, a lot of extra features, and an easy to use touch screen.. all for a low $30's. I drove a BMW 3 series, an Audi A4, a mazda 6, honda accord and none had a perfect blend like the Optima. The Mazda not enough HP , the Accord lacked styling in the back, the BMW nice but 40 plus grand with basic features, and the closest was the Audi which drove nice but the tech and styling also a bit dated. The Opimta SXL is great!!

Favorite Features

Exterior Styling is eye catching , cockpit driver seat, and turbo HP.

Suggested Improvements

updated tech but keep the ease of use touch screen.. nothing really in my opinion warrants much change