Used 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

If I only knew!
By kevyn4652

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid EX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I really wanted this car. People stopped me in parking lots and at the car wash. They admired the car and asked lots of questions - I could have been a salesman! Now I have owned it for a little over 3 years and don't feel the same.
Pros: It is a beautiful design. Love the heated steering wheel/seats and the cooling seats. Glove box feature is it can keep a bottle of water cold. I'm happy with my leather seats and the sound system.
Cons: It does not live up to the MPG claims. I typically end a tank of gas with about 20.5 mpg. I have gotten up to 29 on the highway but not as often as I haven't got that. I'm a good driver and very conscious of the mileage. The passenger seat feels like I am sitting in a bucket. It should raise up and down like the driver seat. The driver's window clearance in the rear has a much too large blind spot at both corners. I should have also taken note that the battery life in the new car is only 2 years; I think that's a poor proposition. Also the tire life is only 3 years. I would advise you to negotiate both of these items plus the spare tire that isn't there.

I want to trade this model in for the past 2 years for anew or late model Sportage. But 5 e-mails to the dealer (Carson) got no answer when I wanted to negotiate via e-mail or phone. I did not want to drive all that way just to look. ow they are bombarding me with requests for a trade-in.

***REALLY AWFUL****
By NOTHAPPYCAMPER

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid EX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Prior to buying this vehicle I owned a Chevy Silverado, So obviously downgrading to a fuel efficient economical car was very appealing. The car we bought had all the bells and whistles. leather, Navigation, double sunroof, Hybrid, everything. Fully loaded. Not knowing a lot about cars I thought this would be great for my 10 year old daughter and I. I am a busy military mom and I was planning on starting school full time. Within 2 years of ownership. I've had one tire blow out, wheel bearing and cross bar replacement, dead battery, replaced 4 tires, electrical shortage, and the last thing 2 days ago the hybrid system shut down in the middle of a Highway 80 mile an hour traffic. afraid my life was over I was able to maneuver to the side of the rode. the dealership service department had the nerve to say it was the battery, turned out to be the hybrid system.

currently trying to get out of this vehicle asap. please for the safety of yourself and your family do not get a hybrid.

Kia Optima SXL 2.0 Turbo Blown Engine
By Colton Pack

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid EX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

At 80,00 miles I had to replace the engine. In total I spent $5,500 for the engine replacement at the Kia Dealership. They said the cause of it was "metal to metal rod bearings". According to kia I was to blame for not using a KIA GENUINE oil filter. Because I did not use their oil filter somehow metal got in my oil and ruined the engine. Thats a bunch of BS. I read multiple peoples accounts of the same experience with their KIA optima. I saw on the news where Hyundai recalled the same engine this car has. Clearly they need to investigate the optima engine as well. KIA doesn't care about their customers.

Traded in Optima LX non-hybrid for this
By catrose

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid LX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We purchased this hybrid after trading in the Optima LX sedan, which we found inferior in carpeting (it wore through on the driver's side within 2 months. This hybrid has far better suspension than the Optima LX of that year and there are many small build-ins that increase the comfort and reliability of the unit. We get an average of 38 mph in the city. Rarely drive on the highway so can't give you the average.

Reliable mileage, good suspension, carpet upgrade over non-hybrid models, flexible driver seat customization.

Excellent car, comfortable and quiet
By happykiadriv1

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid LX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Driven more than 30,000 miles, excellent car with no problems. Variable mpg depending on the weather...goes way down in the winter.
Comfortable ride, quiet on the highway. Lots of standard features that make the car an excellent value.

Comfort. Reliability.

Blind spots are substantial.