Used 2013 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2013 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

If I only knew!
By kevyn4652

2013 Kia Optima EX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I really wanted this car. People stopped me in parking lots and at the car wash. They admired the car and asked lots of questions - I could have been a salesman! Now I have owned it for a little over 3 years and don't feel the same.
Pros: It is a beautiful design. Love the heated steering wheel/seats and the cooling seats. Glove box feature is it can keep a bottle of water cold. I'm happy with my leather seats and the sound system.
Cons: It does not live up to the MPG claims. I typically end a tank of gas with about 20.5 mpg. I have gotten up to 29 on the highway but not as often as I haven't got that. I'm a good driver and very conscious of the mileage. The passenger seat feels like I am sitting in a bucket. It should raise up and down like the driver seat. The driver's window clearance in the rear has a much too large blind spot at both corners. I should have also taken note that the battery life in the new car is only 2 years; I think that's a poor proposition. Also the tire life is only 3 years. I would advise you to negotiate both of these items plus the spare tire that isn't there.

I want to trade this model in for the past 2 years for anew or late model Sportage. But 5 e-mails to the dealer (Carson) got no answer when I wanted to negotiate via e-mail or phone. I did not want to drive all that way just to look. ow they are bombarding me with requests for a trade-in.

***REALLY AWFUL****
By NOTHAPPYCAMPER

2013 Kia Optima EX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Prior to buying this vehicle I owned a Chevy Silverado, So obviously downgrading to a fuel efficient economical car was very appealing. The car we bought had all the bells and whistles. leather, Navigation, double sunroof, Hybrid, everything. Fully loaded. Not knowing a lot about cars I thought this would be great for my 10 year old daughter and I. I am a busy military mom and I was planning on starting school full time. Within 2 years of ownership. I've had one tire blow out, wheel bearing and cross bar replacement, dead battery, replaced 4 tires, electrical shortage, and the last thing 2 days ago the hybrid system shut down in the middle of a Highway 80 mile an hour traffic. afraid my life was over I was able to maneuver to the side of the rode. the dealership service department had the nerve to say it was the battery, turned out to be the hybrid system.

currently trying to get out of this vehicle asap. please for the safety of yourself and your family do not get a hybrid.

Awesome Car!
By me me

Good in every way.

Not Impressed with the Optima or KIA
By Kris Parsons

2013 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought a 2013 brand new KIA Optima LX (4cyl) at Cobb County KIA in Kennesaw, GA. I came into the dealership with my own financing. The salesman suggested that I should give their credit manager an opportunity to see if he could beat my current financing rate. I acquiesced and later regretted that decision. THREE hours later and after almost walking away from the deal, we finally got the paperwork signed. Apparently Cobb County KIA uses their credit manager to try and re-negotiate the deal. Extremely frustrated with how they do business. About a year later, I'm driving down the highway when I realize I have a flat tire. No big deal...have had to deal with this several times in my life. So I pull over to the shoulder, get out, open the trunk and pull up the trunk mat to find....NOTHING...where the spare should be is a little box containing a small air compressor and a can of "Fix-a-Flat". [non-permissible content removed]?? So I call the dealer thinking that surely there's some mistake...but no, the service manager tells me that KIA doesn't put spare tires in the Optima LX. But they do give you a little air compressor and Fix a flat. Now I'm pissed...I never even thought to check and see if the car had a spare when I was buying the damn thing. Logical assumption, right? Managed to get my car over to Discount Tire where they hooked me up in replacing my tire, and gave me a great deal on a cheap rim and used tire to keep in my car as an actual spare. Take notes KIA...actual customer service. Which is why I will always go back to Discount Tire but I will never buy another KIA product. Engine light comes on yesterday. Take the Optima by an AutoZone so they could check the code. Guy tells me it's a fuel sensor code and that KIA hasn't released parts to the parts stores so I'd have to take the car to the dealer for service. Got an appointment this morning with the Cobb County KIA dealership. They take it back and after about an hour and half they call me up to tell me that the bad fuel sensor was included as part of a recall and therefore there would be no charge. Great...finally some good news. We'll drive it around front for you. While I'm waiting, he comes back and says the engine light came on again...we need to check it out. After another hour of waiting, he comes out to tell me that another fuel sensor/GDI pump is bad...but this time it's not covered by a recall or warranty (keep in mind I have 79k miles on the car and is still under the 100k warranty). $1,067!!!! Unbelievable. I express my frustration to him...less than 3 yr old car still under 'warranty' and I'm already paying over a $1,000 for repairs. Keeping in mind I can't go anywhere else since KIA has a stranglehold on their parts. This is the final straw for me. I will never own another KIA product and I will tell everyone I know not to purchase one either.

Fabulous car for money!!
By Roger

2013 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought the car Dec of 2012. Got the LX with convenience package. Out the door with remote start (added non OEM) for $19800. Very comfortable and drive it whenever I can (its the wife's car). Now it currently has 60k miles on it. Only stuff that has needed done so far is new tires at 53k and front brakes during the 60K mile maintenance service. OEM tires weren't great (horrible on snow) but the new tires have made the car even quieter and perform great on snow. Bottom line is for a brand new car with all the standard equipment it can't be beat.