The Power to Surprise. This is a Kia?!
By dratsu on
2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
with Premium Package. I wasn't this excited about my wife's '07 Infiniti G35x, an incredible car. I expected that to be great. The 7 midsize sedans I tested now should be solid, affordable family cars. I got so much more. 4700 miles, 4 months. First impressions are lasting; still loving it. Unequaled luxury & value - the style, features, and attention to detail are unmatched at this price point. Some cars costing $10K more lack this level of sophistication. How many cars light up for you as you approach, inviting you back? With this amazing car, Kia hasn't just arrived to the midsize sedan competition, it's taken the category by storm. The Power to Surprise, indeed.
Favorite Features
Standout styling - chiseled, athletic. A head-turner. Heated steering wheel! Keyless entry/ignition Panoramic dual sunroof Front (2-stage) & rear seats heated. Front seats cooled. Rearview camera Premium stereo sounds magnificent, especially with the HD radio. UVO voice control, Bluetooth & Sirius, too. Excellent fit/finish. Classy looking and feeling materials throughout. Solid build quality - nary a squeak or rattle. Easily a cut above in its category for handling and acceleration. Ride quality is a nice balance between comfort and sportiness. Admirable fuel economy, 28.5 mpg combined (calculated), but plenty enough oomph if I put my foot down.
Suggested Improvements
Inaccurate trip computer average fuel economy, 1.5 - 2.0 mpg off. I see this as a "make 'em feel better" fudge. Almost insulting, especially because the real mpg is so good. I love the ride, but I suspect it could be a little firm for some. Premium touch screen understandably smaller; I didn't pay for the NAV. But could be better utilized for function and info. e.g., why don't I have full track info displayed w/ ability to FF or rewind when using my bluetooth device? UVO commands should be expanded. If you want NAV, it deletes UVO and HD radio!? Headroom might be an issue for taller folks > 6' Large trunk, but slightly narrow opening. A minor inconvenience with larger items.