Skeptical on EPA
By kbsmith on
2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I have recently come off an Acura TSX, rated lower EPA, while in reality gets much higher than the estimates. My Kia gets around town less than 22mpg and on the highwaqy about 29. Those numbers plummet as soon as you get off the highway to an overall 23. My Acura was 25 and didn't plummet so quickly. This is my only disappointment with the car, but it is a big one. The engine seems to miss as I start out, in the 1400-1800 RPM range. I haven't checked this out at the dealer yet because there are NO loan cars provided---only expensive Enterprise rentals at about $55/day. Acura and other upscale models have spoiled me---you get what you pay for, folks. No doubt here. Great value!
By cura04
on 03/05/12 00:14 AM (PST)

KBSmith- I actually traded my Acura TSX in for an SX Optima... & I also have to agree with what your post states. However, the SX has the turbo, which states that the highway MPG suffers -1 MPG (34 MPG) than the EX non-turbo. Owning the car for two weeks and logging over 1k miles over two weeks... I am only receiving 27 mpg with 75% highway driving. I'm hoping the break-in period improves slightly-keeping in mind that I drive 75(ish) mph in Pittsburgh. Even though our TSX's were valued at 20/29? when I received a combined average of 27 in my TSX. My point being, 20/29 should not equal 22/34 (Turbo--> 22/35 non-turbo). Other than that I truly love the car thus far. Nevertheless, I have received jokes from friends stating its a "KIA" but, in reality if the badge was not there, they'd think its a higher-end luxury vehicle. My only concern is the reliability in 4 years. My 04' TSX approaching 100k miles still drove as if it had 20k miles....I'm hoping the quality does not suffice after the 4 years I have stated. I questioned myself...am I really trading an Acura for a Kia? For peace of mind, I had talked to a customer after I signed papers who had traded in a Lexus ES350 for an Optima SX and came back for an Sorrento SX for a his wife (family SUV)...and he stated that he couldn't be happier. As I have previously stated, lets hope that the quality lasts-and if so I'd be concerned for other automakers.