2012 Kia Optima Consumer Review: Optima Hybrid Great Value all

2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Review

Hybrid Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic)

Optima Hybrid Great Value all Around
By ennui5000 on

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I chose the KIA Optima Hybrid because these were the hybrids dealers were willing to negotiate lower and KIA offered additional incentives. From what I understood, it was the same system as the Sonata. 2010s KIA seems to be the great deal like their cousins unknown cousins were in the early 2000s. I am learning the car. Mostly, I keep it in cruise control as the EVO best monitors the performance. This works well. If you drive in EVO on your own, their is slight hesitation (why I gave it 4). EVO off and you feel the 200 HP and it moves without hesitation!! Lots of room, quiet, smooth ride, panoramic sunroof has wind shield. Tons of features. Handles well.

I think the styling is sharp. LED Lights! It cruises nicely on a cushion of air. I got the premium package and it is amazing as it feels like a luxury car. I like the push-button retractable mirrors (for the neighbors). The dash is well designed and much better than the Sonata and 1000 times better than the Fusion. And it is a Touch screen dash. I am enjoying the 37 MPG average. This is my first Hybrid. To get a midsize cars with economy size fuel efficiency is great. Room for rear facing car seats without the passenger sitting on the dash. Value. Almost anything you can imagine is on the car!

It does not come with the unlimited miles battery replacement that the Hyundai Sonata (with same system) does, but prices are much lower. It takes about 2-5 minutes to charge the battery when driving. It would not be bad if you jump straight on the freeway, but if you do stop an go for the first 5 minutes, it takes the next 20 minutes of great MPG to raise avg. Not for people with less than 10 min commutes. Smarter system. When I am at the infinite stoplights, I want battery only. Don't cylce the engine on until I press the gas to move forward. Cruise control varies +/-5 MPG.