Good in some aspects, still lacking in a lot more
By orleans44 on
2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Traded my '09 TSX for a '12 Optima SX. While there are tons of nice standard features, like the heated and cooled seats, the turbo, the push button start and the panoramic sunroof, it's easy to tell the trade-offs Kia sacrificed to appease the value conscious consumer. If you're a true car person who pays attention to details and spends a decent amount of time in the car, spend a little more and get a car from a manufacturer who figures out the details. The car has great power. It will go when you want it to. The tires are the weak point and you find that out with wet pavement. The mileage is less than what mfr states on the sticker and on the "ave mpg" show in the dash.
Favorite Features
Heated/Cooled seats are comfy & rear heated seats are pleasant surprises for passengers, Great exterior look (lots of rubber necks!), lots of cargo space in trunk, good infinity sound, lots of power under the hood and great highway acceleration when needed, streaming music or phone conversation is really nice. closed panoramic moonroof. Steering wheel control is ok for radio but not useful for the phone, although once connected, the hands free is nice. Folding mirrors are a nice touch, too.
Suggested Improvements
Wind/Road noise are excessive, iPod/phone user interface is terrible even with the factory iPod cable - hard to navigate menus and playlists, also would have been nice to hide the wires like Acura! Gauge panel cluster is lacking (better info would be nice - some nav or temp info like audi), navi screen is cluttered with menu icons, and navi rarely recognizes a named destination, voice recognition is awful and voice dial is cumbersome, sunroof operation is not intuitive and is accompanied by sound wave buffeting behind another vehicle! Cheap materials in the buttons and poor button placement. Kia just didn't think through on a lot of things and cut corners on quality to provide features.
By imac7
on 06/19/13 14:21 PM (PDT)

I too have the 2012 SX and MPG is POOR and I drive mostly on highways. Also I have intermittent wind noise (top driver door and I think passenger too - heard on windy days). Tires are horrible. I had to replace my tires - could not stand the road noise. Better now but still excessive compared with other cars I owned.