Love the car - hate the Infinity NAV
By fixer199 on
2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
Just bought a new EX with Premium & Tech packages last week. More we drive it, the more we like it -- except for the Infinity audio/NAV. The center channel dash speakers overpower all the others. it's almost like driving a car from the 50's with one dash speaker. I thought I didn't have it adjusted right, but you can't adjust it away and the Kia forums have lots of the same complaint from other owners. You also give up HD radio when you 'upgrade' to the $1400 Tech Package. Don't do it unless you MUST have the backup camera! Harmon Kardon make this system and they should be ashamed! We would buy the car again -- but without the Tech Package.
Favorite Features
Same chassis & drivetrain as a Hyundai Sonata Limited with sportier looks, very comfortable, peppy performance (2.4L), nice handling without being harsh, quiet on the highway, great value, great warranty. The computer shows we averaged 26.4 mpg on the first tank of gas in metro driving. We keep a log of our fuel, so I'll report back later on how accurate that is.
Suggested Improvements
Audio/NAV system sucks! The components are good but the factory programming is bad. Must agree to their legal garbage EVERY time you start the car. If you turn the display off because its too bright at night, it comes back on when you change the channel -- and stays on even though i turned it off. It does things the way IT wants and the owner can't change them. Dealer doesn't tell you you're giving up HD radio in the "upgrade". My cheap Garmin GPS is MUCH better. The only good thing about it is the backup camera.
By fixer199
on 01/30/12 20:34 PM (PST)

Please see my update. It was a bad amplifer. Fixer199