2012 Kia Optima Consumer Review: Fine car with a couple of odd

2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Review

EX Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Fine car with a couple of odd quirks
By scrapalara on

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

600 miles into my 2012 Optima EX w/premium pkg (pano roof, UVO stereo), no NAV. First, I've read several reviews that say they upgraded to the tech pkg to get the backup camera. With the EX premium pkg, the backup camera was included. Car is quiet and responsive. I have a 60-mile daily commute (one way) and running about 69-70 with the cruise am getting about 32 mpg. Expect this to improve as the car breaks in and the weather warms. A head-turner! Trading up from a loaded '05 Sebring convertible, so, to me, road noise is quiet! Handled 8" of Illinois snow with ease and stability. Very pleased so far!

8-speaker Infinity stereo system, pano roof (almost makes up for trading a convertible), looks, quiet ride, trunk space, lots of cup holders! Mileage (10+ mpg improvement over prior car). Really liking the keyless entry/start, although yesterday stood in front of my office door trying to open it without a key - hahaha!

If I have my (non-iPod) MP3 player plugged into the Aux jack, I can't also plug in the player's charger via the cigarette lighter; the sound no longer works. Odd, because this worked great in my Sebring, and our family Subaru, and I can have my cell phone charging and still talk on it. Also, after driving in rain or snow, when I open the doors, the door sill is wet/slushy from splash back. I would think the wrap of the door would keep this moisture out? This seems like a prime place for rust (lots of road salt in IL). Hope this turns out to be an unfounded worry.