2012 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Best car ever
By turbo25 on 01/24/12 15:40 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The 2012 kia optima is the best ive ever driven after owning a 2007 hyundai elantra which has no power or pick up the kia is the total opposite i love it

Skeptical on EPA
By kbsmith on 01/23/12 11:53 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have recently come off an Acura TSX, rated lower EPA, while in reality gets much higher than the estimates. My Kia gets around town less than 22mpg and on the highwaqy about 29. Those numbers plummet as soon as you get off the highway to an overall 23. My Acura was 25 and didn't plummet so quickly. This is my only disappointment with the car, but it is a big one. The engine seems to miss as I start out, in the 1400-1800 RPM range. I haven't checked this out at the dealer yet because there are NO loan cars provided---only expensive Enterprise rentals at about $55/day. Acura and other upscale models have spoiled me---you get what you pay for, folks. No doubt here. Great value!

Love the car - hate the Infinity NAV
By fixer199 on 01/06/12 19:38 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought a new EX with Premium & Tech packages last week. More we drive it, the more we like it -- except for the Infinity audio/NAV. The center channel dash speakers overpower all the others. it's almost like driving a car from the 50's with one dash speaker. I thought I didn't have it adjusted right, but you can't adjust it away and the Kia forums have lots of the same complaint from other owners. You also give up HD radio when you 'upgrade' to the $1400 Tech Package. Don't do it unless you MUST have the backup camera! Harmon Kardon make this system and they should be ashamed! We would buy the car again -- but without the Tech Package.

it does'nt get much better
By arubin on 01/03/12 19:34 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have my Optima ex turbo for a week, I already have driven 425 miles, mixed city and highway.The car is solid, quiet and has a very nice combination of ride and handling.Very comfortable seats front and rear, great sound from the Infinity stereo, and very good controls.So far my gas mileage overall mix is 27,28 mpg.I can't say enough how much I love this car.The only negative is the choice of tires ,Nexens are very bad on wet roads.I hope Kia will realize a car as good a the Optima deserves better performing tires.

My 2012 Kia Optima
By kirk700 on 12/17/11 10:08 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've put 4000 miles my Optima, there are a few minor irritations and one let down. 1st the car comes with one smart key. All new cars come with a 2 keys. An additional key is $200.00. 2nd, getting out of the car while its running the car beeps at you like you are doing something morally wrong. 3rd and not so minor, the Nav system is terrible. My 4 year old TomTom that has never been upgraded is much better. Last minor irritation: Can't turn the radio off when the car is in reverse. Now for the let down: the MPG comes no where close to the advertized MPG. Best I've recorded is 28 MPG and that was all Highway. The on-board MPG readout of ave. MPG is 2 to 4 mpg optimistic.

KIA is the brand to watch!!!
By karkonnoisseur on 12/13/11 17:13 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have 374 miles on my Spicy Red KIA Optima SX T-GDI with premium/technology packages. This car not only draws constant stares and looks of admiration but I had someone at the Gas station who was driving a brand new BMW Xdrive 3 series coupe tell me he had to look twice because he couldn't believe the car was a KIA. Segment leading performance, styling, and value! I've never felt so great about owning a new car. I traded in my 2009 Audi A5 for this car. I DO NOT regret it. I needed a sporty family car and KIA DID NOT disappoint!

Changing My Mind About Kia
By amandal0514 on 11/28/11 12:08 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my 2012 Kia Optima EX (with Premium Package and Navigation) for a little over a week now. I traded in my 2008 Honda Accord for it because I was looking for something a little more "fun" with more options but needed the same size. I owned a 2002 Kia Sportage and it lost $10k in value in 1 year so Kia has always left a bad taste in my mouth. Since 2003 I've been with Honda but a new Kia Optima caught my eye not too long ago and I was surprised to see it was rated the #1 sedan under $25k on this site. I started checking into it and really liked what I read about it. It's only been 500 miles but I love all the features! My daughter and I adore the car!

Great Family Car With Lots of Goodies
By nomis68 on 11/24/11 06:29 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I came to this 2012 Optima from a 2010 Mazdaspeed3. With a new son the Speed3 just wasn't doing it. This Optima is the real deal! The ride is smooth in my opinion and the handling is tight. The cabin looks great in the SX. I love the Infinity sound system, it sounds GREAT for a factory system. The iPod interface works great and the Nav. system is about as good as it gets. The panoramic sunroof is just plain cool. The heated and cooled front seats will come in real handy here in St. Louis. The backseats are almost as comfy as the front ones, back seats being heated is pretty sweet. The style of the exterior is awesome, slick lines, LED taillights, xenon headlights. This car ROCKS!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Optima Sedan in WA is:

$186 per month*