2012 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
A Solid Bullseye...
By kitchendzyn on 03/16/12 10:57 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car far exceeded my expectations. I traded in my 09 Audi A4 for this car and have zero buyers remorse. It handles better on turns, takes the bumps better and accelerates as well or better than the Audi. But the most noticeable difference is the controls function easily without digging thru menus. I have owned 3 Lexu's and 1 Audi before this car and if you looking for style, function and fun to drive, this Optima SX handily beats them. Koreans are a proud people and are over achievers. They have designed and built a very good automobile. Some of my friends would never buy a Kia, not enough of a status symbol for them. They don't know what they are missing.

Very Impressive
By bambino3 on 03/02/12 20:19 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had this car for just over 3 months. After owning many VWs and Audis, I was in the market for a new Audi when I read reviews on the Optima and decided to at least have a close look and test drive. To be honest, I felt this car looked better overall than the Audi A4. Sleeker lines end to end. I know that's a personal judgment, but that was how I saw it. Next, I looked closely at the interior and features offered in the SX (to me, a turbo charged engine is a necessary performance feature). The interior, while not quite as plush as an Audi A4, was extremely nice. Leather, very stylish dash and trim. Finally, I drove the car and was very impressed with the ride and performance.

Fine car with a couple of odd quirks
By scrapalara on 02/24/12 11:02 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

600 miles into my 2012 Optima EX w/premium pkg (pano roof, UVO stereo), no NAV. First, I've read several reviews that say they upgraded to the tech pkg to get the backup camera. With the EX premium pkg, the backup camera was included. Car is quiet and responsive. I have a 60-mile daily commute (one way) and running about 69-70 with the cruise am getting about 32 mpg. Expect this to improve as the car breaks in and the weather warms. A head-turner! Trading up from a loaded '05 Sebring convertible, so, to me, road noise is quiet! Handled 8" of Illinois snow with ease and stability. Very pleased so far!

Excellent Cost / Benefit
By seson on 02/23/12 20:22 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Researched and compared to the Malibu, Camry, Accord, Altima, etc., and found this to be the best choice for me. Quiet and smooth ride, stunning looks, good interior materials, Bluetooth, USB, 10/10 drive train, 60/60 bumper to bumper (lifetime drive train from the dealer). With what Kia includes even on the LX AT, I've only added a factory spoiler and window tint. All this for under 20K after rebates..Gas mileage has been 25 around the city and up to 36 on the Hwy. Best of all, it's made here in the USA by American workers in Georgia.

Don't be fooled by the Badge
By thorlo on 02/21/12 12:04 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned Dozens of new cars, including,7/ VW's,3/BMW's,3/Audi's,2/Acura's,1/Jag& a M-B. All were special in their own way, But as far as Packaging, performance, style, funtion, and safety rating (NHTSA/IIHS), My 2012 Kia Optima SX, is by far the best car I've ever Owned. it feels as solid as any of them. And on my trip From Texas to Va. I got 33 true MPG, at speeds somewhat above those posted. so a word to the wise car shopper, Don't be fooled by the Badge.

Another satisfied customer
By hopleaf on 02/14/12 23:49 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I'm coming from an Infiniti G35x and I couldn't be happier with the overall package the Optima offers. The features, style, performance, and value is unbeatable.

2012 kia optima SX Turbo Very, Very bad gas mileage
By jiebew on 02/12/12 08:35 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Poor gas mileage. only getting about 21 MPG I drive mostly freeway and can't get any more than that. took it to the dealer and they did nothing about it. Seriously thinking about a lawsuit. will be soon getting some legal advise from and attorney. If other are already in this mode i would love to hear from you. Yesterday and today I couldn't get the car to go above 40 MPH. I had to pull off the road and turn the car off and restar it. It did better but something is wrong. will be taking it back to the dealer in the morning.

I would buy if it wasn't front wheel drive
By atx4life on 02/07/12 07:35 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Kia has done an exceptional job with the 2012 Optima. I had a chance to test drive one and it was very surprising. I did enjoy driving it, however, all that horsepower is wasted b/c it's no fun driving a front wheel drive car. You cant drift and there is under-steer if you get on the gas too hard. Being front wheel drive is a major deal breaker for me. If they get smart and make a rear wheel drive or even an all-wheel drive model, I will buy one.

Honda, Toyota, and Nissan-----LOOK OUT!!!
By mojonphx on 01/31/12 21:36 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car is amazing, after dismal repairs on my 2009 Honda Accord EX-L, I gave in on my frustrations and traded in the car for a brand new 2012 Kia Optima EX with Tech and Prem packages. The car is so much nicer than the Accord and a pleasure to drive. I have already put 3k miles on the car in one month because it is so addicting to drive and it turns heads wherever I go and people always ask "That's a KIA?" I highly recommend it and don't pass it by because it is a KIA, the brand has made drastic changes and it definitely shows. My Honda Accord was my third and last Honda and I will not be going back.

Update on Infinity Sound quality
By fixer199 on 01/30/12 20:58 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I posted in early January about the center dash speakers overpowering the rest. Turns out it was a bad amplifier. Got it replaced today under warranty. Now the Infinity system sounds like something Harmon Kardon can be proud of! We now have 1600 miles on the car and like it more all the time. That amplifier is the only defect we've found. We carefully log our gas use & got 25.06 mpg for the first 1,066 miles of 100% city driving. Only one trip out of town & got 31.9 mpg with lots of hills and slow downs for small towns.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Optima Sedan in WA is:

$186 per month*