Used 2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Most Helpful|
12 SX Turbo
By sxturbo12

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned the 12 SX Turbo for about a week now. I just traded in a 10 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5 due to early trans failure :(. it killed me. However, i am LOVING the Optima SX TURBO.. very good MPG's for a turbo engine. I do about 90% city driving and I average about 25.5 MPG's. Going from a charger to an optima is quite a large jump but I couldn't be happier. I am still on my first tank of cause. With the calculations, I should end up with about 415-420 on this tank. I do not drive like a grandma either .. lol.

Favorite Features

Love the exterior sport appearance. Comfort in the seating. Spacious for tall people like me. 2.0 TURBO with good pickup. MPG's. Low cost.

Suggested Improvements

I do enjoy a bigger steering wheel. That is probably my only suggestion... a steering wheel more thick and slightly large in size for easy to grip and handle.

Fuel Pump
By slh2

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Not too bad of a car other than road noise is pretty loud. It sounds like air leaking in the windows but they say there is nothing wrong with the windows. My fuel pump went out and it was $700 to fix (not covered under the warranty). The tires that come on the car are terrible in rain. I have had to use Synthetic oil since my 2nd oil change because it was low on oil. I am really not happy with this car. I have 80,000 miles on it now and I drive 100 highway miles a day. It doesnt seem like it is going to last as long as my 2003 Toyota Highland that has 299,000 miles on it and never replace the first think except tires, brakes and spark plugs. The toyota was an excellent vehicle!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Pump, Tires, Road noise, Air noise in windows, Something wrong with using oil had to change to synthetic could explain why

Nice car but......
By sassy1866

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

So far I really like this car. Handles great, no lack of speed and enjoy the interior. A couple of negatives are gas mileage, wind noise and the passenger seat feels like you're sitting on the floor.

Favorite Features

I love the interior. The heated and cooled seats are great. The folding mirrors are a great feature.

Suggested Improvements

Make the passenger seat adjustable as well. You feel like you're sitting on the floor. The wind noise is annoying. I know part of the noise is the tires. The gas mileage needs to be better. I really wish they gave the car V6 rather than turbo. Engine is a bit noisy too.

Disappointed
By swkia

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Poor gas mileage especially in the city. Under 16 mpg avg(mostly city) Never been gentler on a car(BORING) can't get it get anywhere near rated mileage. Dealer no help. Sirrus radio sounds awful when using Sirrus. I leased this vehicle expecting to save on fuel consumption. This low mileage is hitting hard at $4 a gallon. When researching I saw the low mileage warnings and bought into break in in period malarkey. Not true, got worse. If it weren't for the poor gas mileage. I would give it high ratings. I like most everything else.

Favorite Features

Roomy, easy to drive, great lines. Big trunk. Nice ride. Great price for all the features. Many imports charge a lot for all the extra(should be standard) features. Good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Get a spare tire designed into this thing. This is a major safety risk. Cell phones don't work everywhere. Stiffen the sheet metal on the doors, every time the kids shut the door you can hear it warbling. Adjust the tranny so when you ease up on the gas it doesn't feel liked you tapped on the brakes, it needs to coast. Get your radio from another supplier I would never ever buy satellite radio if they all sounded that awful. Use a better quality of paint. It takes way to much work to bring the richness back out of the ebony paint. It looks dull if I don't Carnuba wax it once a month. Oh Yeah one more thing Fix the Mileage problems many people seem to be having. About half the cars out ther

Extremely Satisfied
By bambino3

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car new in November 2011 and now have just over 12,000 miles on it. It's been flawless so far. Not a single issue. Averaging 30mpg under all conditions. I can't say that about any of the previous Audi A4's I've owned--which were far more costly when comparing feature for feature. Great performance with the 2.0 turbo, plus excellent fuel economy for a sedan of this size--on regular unleaded.

Favorite Features

Style; vehicle performance; fuel economy; passenger room, front and back; excellent seats; large trunk; heated front and rear seats; panoramic moon roof; voice activated phone; great nav system; best manufacturer new car warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Too much wind noise from the side view mirrors; some road noise in the passenger compartment (probably from a combination of tire tread, road surface, and a lack of insulation); a good infinity stereo, but not great (woofer in the rear shelf vibrates when the bass is turned up); front passenger seat has no vertical adjustment; no 12V DC access in the rear pax area or in the trunk. All of these issues are minor compared with the overall excellent features, performance, competitive cost, and outstanding factory warranty.