2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
WOW!! It is a KIA!!!!
By mrvega on 04/19/12 14:46 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my 2012 SX 3 weeks ago and I am truly amazed. It doesn't feel or look like a KIA. The ride is very smooth yet sporty. Quieter and more stable at speed than my mother's 2009 Camry SE V6 even though the SE V6 feels like it accelerates quicker yet handles and feels better than the Camry. The style is elegant yet sporty (Many people compliment the exterior and interior). Even though it is a 4 cylinder, because of the turbo, it doesnt feel sluggish especially at slower speeds. Gas mileage could be better. It is returning 18-19 City hwy around 28 The style in my opinion looks much better than the Mazda 6, New Camry, Sonata, Accord, Malibu, and more expensive cars.

Exterior matched the interior
By bradwoods on 04/16/12 07:48 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Classic body style matches the luxury interior. Completely blown away with what this car offers. I was hesitant going in because I didn't know what to expect from a brand of car that people considered less than desirable. Kia is on the move baby! It's an head turner. So far so good on gas. Plenty of power. A 4 cylinder w/dual exhaust...KOOL. This car has all the bells and whistles. It fits to your comfort. You'll understand after you check it out. Go see Greg Kelly at Kia East. Great guy, not pushy and he owns an Optima too. Believes in what he says and says what he believes.

Best Car Ever
By schadaz on 04/08/12 18:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very impressed with gas mileage and safety features.

2012 Kia Optima SX
By cdh906 on 04/02/12 11:32 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have now had my SX for a little over a month, its a big step up from my '96 Camry. I wanted a fun, reliable car that was comfortable with luxury amenities that could handle my 90 mi round trip commute, yet was fun. I looked at Audi A3 (D), Ford Fusion, Focus, VW Golf (D) and decided the best bang for my buck was the Kia Optima. I got leather, fun, outstanding warranty, great design, all the fancy features I wanted, none of the add ons I didn't want. I paid $29,200 out the door for a white 2012 Kia Optima with Touring and Premium Package (no nav), I talked them down by using email, it helped a lot rather than on the phone or in person, allowed me time to choose words carefully.

update* reaching about 13000 on my 2011 SX
By acerava on 03/30/12 10:04 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

so far no problems! I must agree with the road noise though. I never owned a Kia before, but if they just get the wheels/road noise and (my preference, wheel well gap shortened) it would be nearly perfection. On soft pavement its extremly quiet, on rough/normal pavement it really makes me consider buying some better tires and im leasing it :/... Anyway, fuel economy no matter how much i try i cant seem to do 22 city (LA stop go traffic: 15-18 :( but on the dealer paper it states actual milage may be 18 in fine print) but i can definitly do 34+ highway. Overall, not upset everything works well, still get compliments and stares every day Wish the logo changed w the designs! i'll update at 25k.

BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!!!
By mrcwby on 03/27/12 08:08 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am 56 and have owned many a vehicle but i have never, ever, had anyone walk up to me and admire my vehicle on atleast 4 different occasions. I even had one take a picture. I am 6'6" and this car even fits me with the panoramic sunroof. I really enjoy driving this vehicle every day and currently i am getting 30.2 mpg going back and forth to work. Granted it is mainly highway until i reach the city but i did take a jaunt to PA and that was two months ago and i was getting 35.1 mpg. I purchased this vehicle in Oct 11 and i currently have 10k miles on her.

Kia has come a long way
By molina67 on 03/26/12 19:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is awesome. I admit it was hard wrapping my brain around buying a Kia, but I am sure glad I did. This car is not only sexy it 174 hp when you need them. Only downside I have yet to see 34 mpg as advertised. The highest I've gotten in 5 months and 6000 miles is 31 mpg, still better than my previous car which was the 6 Cylinder Pontiac G8. That only got 24 mpg and only had 254 hp and after 28000 miles I started having engine problems.

4000 mile update - Wow!- keep being impressed
By fixer199 on 03/24/12 20:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After 3 months & 4000 miles we like this car -- and Kia, more and more. As previously posted, the amplifier was replaced under warranty. I complained to Kia, the found the problem, & took care of it. Last week we received a gift card from Kia apologizing that we had experienced a problem with our Kia. Wow!! What a nice experience compared to my dealings with Ford on our other car! We get so many compliments on this car. Love driving it. Really like the 2.4L engine. The only thing we would do differently is not buy the Infinity NAV system. My $150 Garmin is a much better nav, & you give up the HD radio. Controls are frustrating!

Beautiful, great performance, awesome value BUT poor "actual" fuel econmomy
By travelingwave on 03/22/12 21:44 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a black on black fully loaded 2012 SX. I paid $30k. I have had about 3 months with 3500 miles on it( I don't drive it when there is snow, sand, etc. on the road) Great: Awesome exterior look, a real eye turner. It looks like Audi BMW, but $20k less. Performance-unbelievable - corners on rails, and there is no turbo lag. Bad Horrible actual( total miles/ gallons use) fuel economy compared what is advertise 24/34. I actual get about 24MPG ALL highway driving like a grandma. Fuel economy computer is not accurate. Narrow bucket seats, slightly tight on my shoulders Poor wheel well insulation. When driving on snow, gravel, sand, it very loud inside

WOW WHAT A CAR!
By beafantoo on 03/21/12 09:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am 6'2' weigh 315 lbs and this car wow's me to no end. Great looking car, great comfortable car, very nice styling. My car has the tech package and nav..I would recommend this car to everybody.. I am getting about 27.8 mpg with most of my driving in the city, I purchased the car 3 weeks ago and have put 1000. miles on it already, very responsive around turns with great handling. Very fast for a 4cyl. you wont go wrong buying this car..

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Optima in VA is:

$152 per month*