2012 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Stay Away from Kia Optima unless you like noise
By 2012kia on 06/09/12 13:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased this car May 9, 2012. After a few days, I noticed a creaking noise every time I turn left or right. Took the car into the dealership and was told the clock spring needed to be replaced. I've only had this car 7 days, and something already has to be replaced. Also, the engine or transmission is really loud when accelerating from 0-40. After I reach 40mph or higher, this noise goes away (not sure if that's a normal noise or not, my 2005 Honda Accord was never this loud!). Engine makes a pinging noise when engine is turned off. Looking to trade this car in really soon. This dealership, Crain Kia in Sherwood, Arkansas is not very customer friendly after the sell.

Great car for the money hands down
By sassy1866 on 06/03/12 18:09 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just bought a 2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo. Spicy Red with Beige interior. Absolutely love it. You can't find any other car with the amount of options at the Kia price. I bought the tubo because the regular 4 seemed noisy. Plus I love the power. Only two complaints I have are the wind noise around the windows when driving on the highway and the passenger seat is too low.

Short-Term Review (5k Miles) SX Premium Touring
By cura04 on 06/01/12 22:41 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Currently owned for 3 months (my last car was an Acura TSX). I researched like hell because I never thought that I would purchase a KIA in the near-future. Overall, I am in love with the vehicle. I mainly purchased the vehicle because of the appeal, features, performance/fuel efficiency, and size (in order of whats important to me). I like to point out the price point- Retail $30,395. No car in the mid-size region offers every option as the optima SX for that price. Of course, pending where you live, incentives and supply/demand will dictate the final price. I couldn't be happier with my purchase and I feel like a million bucks (as I drive down the street knowing what I actually paid for it)

6-months and counting...
By t1000 on 05/25/12 18:10 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The build quality, I rated a 3. Here's why: the body material is quite flimsy. Very light actually compared to previous cars I owned (Honda, Lexus, Toyota, Nissan). As I wash my car, I can feel how easily the hood can collapse under your hands, the rear fenders are plastic like and feels like I can bend it all the way to the back. However, it does have a 5-star crash safety rating. Go figure.... The comfort, I will never give a 5-rating because I haven't found a seat that I like. Overall, this car has excellent acceleration, very sporty looking, head turner, excellent warranty, high tech features and a lot of them for such a low price.

The Power to Surprise. This is a Kia?!
By dratsu on 05/23/12 06:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

with Premium Package. I wasn't this excited about my wife's '07 Infiniti G35x, an incredible car. I expected that to be great. The 7 midsize sedans I tested now should be solid, affordable family cars. I got so much more. 4700 miles, 4 months. First impressions are lasting; still loving it. Unequaled luxury & value - the style, features, and attention to detail are unmatched at this price point. Some cars costing $10K more lack this level of sophistication. How many cars light up for you as you approach, inviting you back? With this amazing car, Kia hasn't just arrived to the midsize sedan competition, it's taken the category by storm. The Power to Surprise, indeed.

Holy Smokes - This is NOT ur Mother's KIA!
By jerryk007 on 05/21/12 15:58 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

A bit apprehensive at first! After researching and viewing the Hyundai products i.e. Sonata, Elantra & KIA I became convinced that the KIA was amazing! The value for the $$$ was almost unbelievable. Current incentives also played a roll. But after 10 1/2 years with a Nissan Maxima that served me very well at 101K Miles this cars design and finish compared to the Sonata, Camry, Altima & Honda won hands down. The leather interior is the best in class! I am a huge fan and the creature features are just enough! Also ride is very responsive and pretty damn quiet for its' cost!

update on my previous review
By arubin on 05/21/12 08:00 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am now at 4300 miles on my Kia optima ex turbo and it still a great trill to drive it as it was during my first few weeks of driving the Kia.Furthermore once this car really breaks in and you totally know what to expect on your driving experience, I feel even more confidence when driving at higher speeds.Still very solid and a ride without any rattles no matter how bad the road surface might be.I could not be happier with this car and hope this experience continues.

Not all That....
By torch1342 on 05/13/12 07:18 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Seriously, you all need to get over yourselves with this car. The interior is cramped and the interior is one giant piece of hard plastic. The headroom up front is not good if your over 6ft. The 2.4l engine makes a loud buzzing noise when you hit the gas. Overall I am pretty dissapointed with my purchase. If you read the reviews you would think that the Optima is a Mercedes, well sir it is not....

Could not beat this value anywhere...
By astrol on 05/07/12 14:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My wife's new car is a Satin Metal SX w/tour and tech pkgs. and trimmings. She drove both the 2.4 EX and the 2.0T SX and preferred the latter hands down driving the same exact test route and road irregularities. She didn't feel the need to drive the EX w/Turbo after that. For some reason the SX with the Sport tuned suspension actually feels more refined. The car is very new so no long term data from me as of yet but I cannot imagine getting more for your money than what KIA is now offering with the Optima. The overall level of refinement more than makes up for the few hard plastic bits found in parts of the interior. The 2.0T has amazing torque from 1250rpm with no lag. Yikes! Avg. 28 mpg.

WOW!! It is a KIA!!!!
By mrvega on 04/19/12 14:46 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my 2012 SX 3 weeks ago and I am truly amazed. It doesn't feel or look like a KIA. The ride is very smooth yet sporty. Quieter and more stable at speed than my mother's 2009 Camry SE V6 even though the SE V6 feels like it accelerates quicker yet handles and feels better than the Camry. The style is elegant yet sporty (Many people compliment the exterior and interior). Even though it is a 4 cylinder, because of the turbo, it doesnt feel sluggish especially at slower speeds. Gas mileage could be better. It is returning 18-19 City hwy around 28 The style in my opinion looks much better than the Mazda 6, New Camry, Sonata, Accord, Malibu, and more expensive cars.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Optima Sedan in NJ is:

$250 per month*