4000 mile update - Wow!- keep being impressed
By fixer199 on
2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
After 3 months & 4000 miles we like this car -- and Kia, more and more. As previously posted, the amplifier was replaced under warranty. I complained to Kia, the found the problem, & took care of it. Last week we received a gift card from Kia apologizing that we had experienced a problem with our Kia. Wow!! What a nice experience compared to my dealings with Ford on our other car! We get so many compliments on this car. Love driving it. Really like the 2.4L engine. The only thing we would do differently is not buy the Infinity NAV system. My $150 Garmin is a much better nav, & you give up the HD radio. Controls are frustrating!
Favorite Features
Styling, handling, ride, good fuel mileage, good leg room, outstanding value. Kia was such a pleasant surprise on the one warranty repair. No defects other than the bad amplifier. Quality is great! Transmission always seems to have the right gear and is so smooth. Cruises effortlessly at 75. Doesn't act like a 4 cylinder.
Suggested Improvements
Infinity Nav & sound system needs signficant improvement. The sound is good but it's programmed to make you do things IT's way. You have to touch the screen to accept their legal mumbo jumbo EVERY time you start the car. The Nav doesn't work as well as my dashtop Garmin. The screen is too bright at night even on its lowest setting. You can turn the screen off, but it pops back on if you change anything such as the radio channel -- and STAYS on. You also give up HD radio and the UVO system for this 'upgrade'. Consider an extended warranty if you do get this system. Just the amplifier cost $1700 to replace.
By cecmazda6
on 03/28/12 09:57 AM (PDT)

Great that you keep posting updates! Very nice to hear Kia sent you a gift in return for your hassle - sounds like something Saturn used to do! At least it looks like they're willing to please and resolved your amp issue I have the EX in Satin Metal... beautiful pale champagne-silver that's easy to clean yet looks very rich... I particularly like your comment about the tranny! It's one of my favorite aspects of the car... To me it shifts almost effortlessly without annyoing lurches, which only makes the car feel that much faster and more responsive. I don't think the professional reviews mention that enough, because that makes a car so much more fun to drive. As you said, it flies on the highway more like a 6 than a 4 and I usually leave other cars in my mirror when the light turns green... I've read a few comments about the steering being 'numb' but I don't feel that to be true. It's light as a feather when you're parking and tightens up just enough when cruising... I have never gotten so many compliments and inquiries from strangers about any other car... Hopefully your amp will be the only issue aside form normal wear and tear...