2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Kia Optima 2012 Excitement gone
By nccarowner on 09/09/12 10:03 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the Optima EX after looking around for months. My excitement of owning the car is down now. I do not get the advertised mpg even if I coast & go just under the speed limit. The dealers have given me the same rehearsed response about MPG. My 2000 accord could hold the road better & get better gas mileage. I only get 28-29 on the highway at 65 mph. The onramp I have to wait to accelerate compared to my 12yr old honda accord. I have to go a min of 5mph slower or there is huge oversteer. The paint on the car is easily chipped off. I get compliments on the looks but I'm stuck in the car. Charger has a better ride but seats aren't as nice & it got 32mpg when I tested it for 2 days

So far so good...
By bykdude on 09/08/12 14:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Great car and great value. First 1000 miles ok. Only complaint would be the seats. Dude...you might as well be seating on a park bench. Other than that, this vehicle has all the features of any other luxury car. We'll just have to see how it stands up over time.

Really Fun To Drive
By mswhitfield on 08/15/12 19:23 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2.5mths and almost 3k miles, I am still enjoying my Spicy Red Optima. (Midlife crisis? Maybe) After over 7yrs in a Chevy Equinox, off the showroom floor, that I soon came to loathe, that's an understatement. I had a Lexus in mind, but the SX blew me away. Kia has come a long way from their 'buy one get one free days'.

Fun car to drive
By robert202 on 08/15/12 19:17 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Pros: Fun to drive with great performance Outstanding appearance inside and out Love the UVO system, especially the back up camera, large interior and trunk for a small car, Cartersville, GA. Kia dealer was good to work with and treated us well. Good value. Cons: Seat cushion could use more padding, becomes uncomfortable after 2 hours of driving, gas mileage overstated my best is 30 MPG but average 27 - could be my foot in the Turbo, road noise on rough roads transmits into the interior excessively. Bought the car in December 2011 it now has over 9K miles on it. All in all, I'm happy with the purchase.

Nice car, Good dealership experience
By roop07 on 07/31/12 17:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the Optima 2 weeks ago. Very nice car with lots of luxury features for the price. Good power and handles well on the road. Had a wonderful experience at Hollwood Kia in Broward County. No hassle.

A little disappointed
By pinkcar on 07/29/12 09:09 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my 2012 Kia in Feb of this year. I was surprized I never had a follow up contact from the dealer - like "how are things". Have been, for the most part very happy with the Kia other than the wind shield wiper. Not enough power and have found my self twice in pooring rain, on a three lane highway at 70 mph and cannot see a thing. I have had 5 maybe 6 new cars -- I have never once in my driving life had to pull over because the wipers didn't keep up with the rain. I would let Kia know, but when I tried to locate how to contact customer service corporate-wise, found this is non-existant for the customer. Another example of how they are all over you during the sale and drop you after

Just OK
By soadokdls on 07/25/12 09:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I really like the way the car looks and some of the great features you would never get with a similar car but there are definitely things that I am not impressed with. The UVO system they have works well intermittantly and they claim the issues I have with the phone is bc I'm using my iPhone cable instead of their $40 cable which is total BS. Also, I had a 2010 Toyota Camry V6 prior to this so the HP is the same, but since the Kia is a 4 cylinder the power just isn't as good. Oh, and my insurance also doubled!!!! My insurance company claims the Kia's ISO rating is 30 and my Camry, which was $2k more, was a 16. How is that freakin possible?? Has anyone else experienced that?

Amazing value for the money
By mustrockon on 07/21/12 22:32 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

When we were looking for a car in the 30Ks range I have to admit Kia was not on the short list. After talking with two family friends, one with a BMW and another with a Mercedes both purchased within the last 3 years we began to broaden our search. Not only were the repair bills outrageous for even the smallest of fixes, but the features for the "lower priced" models were lacking compared to the Optima. We ended up getting a pearlized white with leather interior and a turbo 2.0 getting 275 horsepower. It has no problem getting up to speed and rides like a dream. Not only is this the best car we have owned for this price, but our family friend with the Mercedes is trading in for an Optima!

All MPG Advertizments are Lies!!!
By kirk700 on 07/20/12 06:52 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have logged 17,000+ miles on my 2012 KIA Optima. I love the car, 100% reliable and very comfortable. I'm glad I chose it over the Accord and Fusion. That said, the window sticker read 26 city, 36 Hwy MPG. I am in sales and travel between 100 to 400 miles a day. 30% city and 70% Hwy. The best I have ever recorded is 30mpg. The worst is 24 mpg. My opinion, these figures are closer to what should be printed on the window sticker.

The Shadow knows...
By emeraldsky on 07/16/12 10:15 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought this Blk Cherry 2012 Optima-and I'm feelin' fine on a dime with purple all mine. An extremely good value. This is a sweet dream. Seriously rides like velvet. Lovin the extras-Bluetooth, etc, ETC. Seats extremely comfortable in soft leather with plenty room for this 5'10' frame of mine. I feel like I'm riding a La-z-boy down the road! But there's nothing lazy about this boy! Even w/o the turbo this car has quick, smooth response. You won't be left pounding the wheel for anything...save gas milage...I give high marks for it, but it has yet to break the 30 mph mark and KIA has to advertise truer data here. Oh well, my car is new and not on the Hwy much-maybe get there.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Optima in VA is:

$152 per month*