2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
All MPG Advertizments are Lies!!!
By kirk700 on 07/20/12 06:52 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have logged 17,000+ miles on my 2012 KIA Optima. I love the car, 100% reliable and very comfortable. I'm glad I chose it over the Accord and Fusion. That said, the window sticker read 26 city, 36 Hwy MPG. I am in sales and travel between 100 to 400 miles a day. 30% city and 70% Hwy. The best I have ever recorded is 30mpg. The worst is 24 mpg. My opinion, these figures are closer to what should be printed on the window sticker.

The Shadow knows...
By emeraldsky on 07/16/12 10:15 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought this Blk Cherry 2012 Optima-and I'm feelin' fine on a dime with purple all mine. An extremely good value. This is a sweet dream. Seriously rides like velvet. Lovin the extras-Bluetooth, etc, ETC. Seats extremely comfortable in soft leather with plenty room for this 5'10' frame of mine. I feel like I'm riding a La-z-boy down the road! But there's nothing lazy about this boy! Even w/o the turbo this car has quick, smooth response. You won't be left pounding the wheel for anything...save gas milage...I give high marks for it, but it has yet to break the 30 mph mark and KIA has to advertise truer data here. Oh well, my car is new and not on the Hwy much-maybe get there.

Excellent Car
By jsap123 on 07/13/12 12:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought a 2012 EX in October 2011; 10,500 miles on it now. I was looking for a car that had good visual design inside and out, better gas mileage and more power than my previous car [2006 Mazda 3S 2.3L]. Fell in love with the interior and exterior styling, love the driver-centric interior, I like how everything is angled towards me. Was very impressed with the quiet cabin, smooth ride, and nice seats. The Optima, however, doesn't handle like my Mazda did, but I would say that's the only thing the Mazda comes out on top in. The car feels very refined, engine is plenty fast and I've been enjoying 28-34mpg on mixed driving [I'm not a lead foot and it's flat in FL]. I also like the ECO button.

First LX Manual Review
By trusko on 07/03/12 23:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I owned 1997 Acura Integra GS-R for 13 years and it was time to say good buy. With 3 kids and two of them playing hockey I was looking for a car that I can drive to work on daily basis and it can still fit two hockey bags. Optima handling is quite impressive, engine is very responsive. I like driving manual transmission and was quite impressed with Optima's responsiveness. I had to go with LX base since this was the only model that comes with manual. However, car is already loaded with all options I really wanted so no big deal. Gas mileage is pretty good - I am averaging 8.5L/100KM (mixed 50% highway), gets better on highway I could easily get 7L/100km.

Does Kia really listen to it's customers?
By dbenson62 on 06/30/12 15:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just purchased a 2012 SX Turbo in Corsa Blue. I have already had people pull up next to me and tell me what a beautiful car it is. I love the power, styling, all the controls and more. I had a 07' Impala and the leg room in the back seat was awful. power was sluggish and not many options. I was pleasantly surprised to find plenty of leg room in the Kia along with all the goodies to play with. I only have 175 miles on it so far, just breaking it in so I can't say much about the gas mileage. It is quiet on the road and down the freeway. It is just a fun car to drive. We use to laugh at people that drove Hyundai and Kia, you can't afford a real car? Now we own one and love it! It's rated well

3000 miles and running
By mrvega on 06/29/12 15:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

3000 miles later and I am still impressed with my Optima sx turbo. Driving a bit faster than Highway speeds 80-90mph it feels very stable, relatively quiet, it feels like you are doing 20-25 mph slower. If you hit the gas from 75-100 it feels like its running out of steam. Sound system- Very good (however streaming is poor) Bluetooth- Poor (my 2011 Camaro BT was thousand times better) This cuts out and I have to reconnect. Sirius Satelite radio still stops working under bridges and gas station where my xm in my camaro never failed. Suspension-Feels great, not floaty It was a great purchase. I would like to see a future comparision with the 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 and the next Mazda 6

No Spare Tire!!
By alanbala on 06/27/12 10:10 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I had to purchase a new car, after our less than two year old car was totaled. After ruling out several cars, we decided we really liked the 2013 Kia Optima EX with the Premium Package. We got a really good price considering it is a 2013 model, and as we were settling on the sale, we discovered the car comes with NO SPARE TIRE!!. Instead, you get some kind of hinky tire inflation kit good for one use. We bought the car anyway. Now we have to go out and buy a space saver spare, a jack and a lug wrench. The jack and lug wrench are easy to find. Not so the spare. Chevy started this stupid trend. it's a shame all the other manufacturers are following suit.

6000 mile update
By scrapalara on 06/23/12 17:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Posted a review shortly after I purchased this EX with Premium (no turbo, no nav). Love this car more every day. Just back from a 3-day road trip; mostly highway miles - averaging 36.3 mpg. Woo hoo! Front driver's seat is SO comfy, love the stereo and a/c and the pano roof. Lost a star for comfort only because the front passenger seat is SO low (I feel like "Kilroy was here" when I ride on the passenger side). Otherwise, loving this car.

Very pleasantly surprised
By country6543 on 06/22/12 06:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My wife totalled her 300C and we looked at new cars for almost 8 months. With the way the economy was I wanted fuel efficient but she wanted sporty and fun to drive. Looked at all the different family cars out there and then drove the optima SX turbo. The features that set the Optima apart was the very roomy back seat for the kids, Great looks and fuel economy. We have around 8,000 miles on the vehicle and still love it. No problems, No noises and she gets raving compliments everywhere she goes. She drives mostly city with a little highway driving. City mpg is about 19-21 but highway mpg is right on the button at 33. I am 6'2" and have no problem with comfort, front or back.

Great Value and fun with a few caveats
By willj69 on 06/21/12 14:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

A really fun car to drive with great looks. Absolutely love the inside and every feature, especially the cooling seats and keyless entry/startup. Disappointed in the paint as I have at least a dozen chips. Any little thing causes a chip or scratch. If this car had AWD, blind spot info, and a hard drive, it would be THE PERFECT CAR. It is pretty damn good as is.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Optima in VA is:

$152 per month*