Used 2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

A good buy with a few flaws
By upacrk1

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a new 2012 Kia Optima LX in Snow White Pearl back in May 2012. Originally I had an issue with the driver's seat not being very comfortable. (I didn't notice this in the short test drive.) In the 9 months I've owned it, my butt seems to have gotten used to it. The acceleration is great! So good that if the roads are slick, I have to put it in ECO mode so the tires don't slip. This may also says something about the OEM Nexen tires. I haven't been driving much so far- only 4700 miles. (Try to walk/bike as much as I can). MPG per tank is 22-27 with an avg 24.5 . As expected, mileage is lower in the cold winter months. No long trips yet - can't wait to see what I'll get then!

Favorite Features

I like the dash layout, the computer functions, the manual auto shift pattern, reasonably sized trunk, impressive pickup, styling, electric steering, handling, USB port (where I have my music on a 16GB stick), and Bluetooth w/cell phone connection.

Suggested Improvements

As mentioned by others: passenger seat is too low; a manual elevation pumpup would be an inexpensive and appreciated feature. Quality control could have been better since the driver's door needed to be adjusted for fit at the dealer. The lighter sheet metal makes the interior somewhat noisy when driving in the rain puddles. I wish it had a space saver spare. I got the beige cloth interior; it's very light, too light! I wish I had gotten the gray cloth. It would be nice if the "random" song feature would remain set. A 12V plug for the rear seat would be nice.

A very nice driving experience!
By garlin1

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I would like to reply to all those customers who are complaining about the Fuel economy of the Optima. I just bought a new 2013 Optima LX and after reading your peeves about MPG I am flummoxed as to whether or not we are driving the same model. First off, I am approaching 7000 miles and I have averaged 30 MPG. No, I do not only drive on a traffic free highway, for I happen to live in California. Also, if you have the LX or EX model in a 2.4 Litre and you complain about getting under 20 MPG there is something specifically wrong with your driving style and habits. Fuel economy relies where and how you drive. What matters is how smoothly and how often you depress the accelerator.

Favorite Features

The body design, dashboard, electronic displays, and the headroom.

Bad engine- Gas HOG! :(
By lynnedoe

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Optima in the fall of 2012. It has had engine work done 3 times. Kia refused to take the car back. Full engine was replaced on third trip in... Great looking car- but gas mileage is WAYYY lower then advertised. I got rid of my SUV to save money on gas. I'm now getting the same if not less mpg with this car. If I do not keep "ECO" option on I actually have gotten as low as just over 11 mpg. HORRIBLE. Not even a turbo... Can't say I'd recommend a Kia to anyone I know.

Favorite Features

Outside appearance. Seats are very comfortable. Roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better engines, tell the truth about the gas mileage!!

You get what you pay for
By giantsfan58

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a fully loaded 2012 Optima EX in Feb. 2012. I noticed soon after buying it that the leg room is very tight. My leg was constantly jammed up against the speaker in the driver's door. The seats are sharply molded and hard. The transmission went out at 13,000 miles. Recently, I noticed an issue with the steering. While driving down the freeway, the car would begin drifting right or left. When you go to correct it, there is a "catch" in the electronic steering. If you do a search for this you will see many others have had this problem. The real world MPG is nowhere near what thet advertise. This car has a ton of bells and whistles and is great looking, but buyer beware.

Favorite Features

Heated and cooled seats. Folding mirrors. Beautiful exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats. Better MPG. Fix the problem with the steering. Make the passenger seat height adjustable so you don't feel like you are sitting in a pit.

Good car good mpg
By cde5151

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

A great looking car with good mpg, lots of standard features, fairly good ride, average 31.7 mpg so far, 30% city 70% hwy driving. Nexen tires are average at best

Favorite Features

Style/ design, balance of power and mpg,amount of standard features

Suggested Improvements

bigger seats (I am 6'2)