Used 2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Transmission went out at 60,400 miles!
By Tim

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We've have had this car since new, and didn't have any issues until it was out of manufacturers warranty. While driving approximately 55mph the vehicle went into "limp mode" and told us to "pull over and safely exit the vehicle" (this was displayed on the dash). If I tried to put it in drive it would make a very hard jump, and would not accelerate. Upon contacting Kia I was told that there was no road side assistance because our car was out of warranty. So we loaded the vehicle up on my parents flat bed and hauled it to the dealership it was purchased from in Ocala, Fl (we were in Jax, Fl and insurance wouldn't transport it that far). Thank God for the extended warranty! Because after sitting in the dealership for over two weeks while they were "waiting to hear back from Korea, because we've never seen this problem" the car needed a new transmission and new electric motor. If we wouldn't have had the extended warranty I would have set the damn thing on fire because I can't imagine what the cost of that was (our repair bill did not give a price). On top of the transmission and electronic motor going out, the buttons to change the station on the steering wheel do not work properly, and the steering wheel itself is peeling apart. Front air damn fell off going down the road. According to Kia it was because my wife couldn't park, but I think it was never put on properly. Steering wheel makes a clicking noise if you barely turn it while the vehicle is stopped. I'm sure it will break while we're on the highway. Fit and finish are decent but the car does not live up to its price tag or its estimated fuel economy. Our warranty goes out at 100k so at that time we'll trade it in for $1,500 and put that towards a Honda.

No issues after 3.5 years and 74k miles
By Tracy Payne

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This has been an excellent car. There have been no repairs required and fuel economy is 32-34 mpg for highway. OEM tires were poor, but replaced with Michelins and car drives and handles well.

Blown Motor with just 105,000 miles on it.
By David

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Optima LX brand new. Kept up with oil changes and used it almost exclusively for commuting on the highway. Without warning the motor started knocking and squealing on the freeway and then died. Had it towed to KIA who said that the engine needs replacement. Since I am 5,000 miles beyond the 100,000 mile warranty they will not cover anything and gave me a quote of about $7,000 to replace the motor. Although I absolutely loved this car, this is unacceptable. It appears that I am not the only person who has experienced blown engines with the Kia Optima. Now I have a car that is only half way paid for and I have to come up with 7k to fix it. I will never buy a Kia again.

Fuel Pump
By slh2

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Not too bad of a car other than road noise is pretty loud. It sounds like air leaking in the windows but they say there is nothing wrong with the windows. My fuel pump went out and it was $700 to fix (not covered under the warranty). The tires that come on the car are terrible in rain. I have had to use Synthetic oil since my 2nd oil change because it was low on oil. I am really not happy with this car. I have 80,000 miles on it now and I drive 100 highway miles a day. It doesnt seem like it is going to last as long as my 2003 Toyota Highland that has 299,000 miles on it and never replace the first think except tires, brakes and spark plugs. The toyota was an excellent vehicle!!!!

Fuel Pump, Tires, Road noise, Air noise in windows, Something wrong with using oil had to change to synthetic could explain why

so far so good
By dawoj52

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I got my kia optima 2012 LX used. I thought it would make a great commute car i drive around 80 miles per day to and from work. I currently have 80,000 miles on my kia and so far it has been a joy .I do have some minor problems like the passager and rear windows cant be rolled up or down from the driver control panel ,r/s cigarette lighter does not work,inside temperature gauge quit working ,so i have to take it back to the dealer. The tires on the kia are very cheep and need to be replaced asap upon purchase. MPG is great i drive from Chicago to Indiana all highway miles and i spend no more than $ 55 per week on gas . I get complements on a look of the car all the time !!

fun to drive, has good acceleration for a 4 cyl. great looking car .

TIRES !!!!!!