Used 2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Nice car but......
By sassy1866

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

So far I really like this car. Handles great, no lack of speed and enjoy the interior. A couple of negatives are gas mileage, wind noise and the passenger seat feels like you're sitting on the floor.

Favorite Features

I love the interior. The heated and cooled seats are great. The folding mirrors are a great feature.

Suggested Improvements

Make the passenger seat adjustable as well. You feel like you're sitting on the floor. The wind noise is annoying. I know part of the noise is the tires. The gas mileage needs to be better. I really wish they gave the car V6 rather than turbo. Engine is a bit noisy too.

Used To LOVE My 2012 Optima - Now I HATE It!
By imac7

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2012 Optima looks great; however, on the first day after I bought it, I was driving on freeway (regular freeway speed) and I noticed intermittent wind noise coming in by the top of driver door. I hope it was something that could be fixed. Three dealer appointments (time wasted) one which was arranged by Kia Corporate their bottom line was "normal noise." I owned a Sentra, Accord, Maxima, Camry, and a Pathfinder (which am not counting) and NONE of the cars had this issue. Also, my MPG average is about 22 (Last tank - no change in driving conditions - I got 19+)... MPG was a major factor when I decided to buy this car.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks but front too low.

Suggested Improvements

Intermittent WIND noise when driving. MPG! Seats, especially headrest. Head room. I drive mostly highway and traffic has been good lately but my MPG hasn't improved with mileage as dealer kept telling me.

2012 Kia Optima Amazing Value for the Money
By botoboto

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2012 Optima last year. I love this car! There is no need, I feel, for spending $$$ on a luxury sedan. The car is very comfortable, sporty, fun to drive, and the Gas Mileage is what the sticker says. Actually I can get 37 on highway trips. I even used the Progressive drive module for a month and had a poor rating because of my acceleration habits. Now there are some things I do not like. The side mirrors are NOT connected to the seat memory. If I had known this, I wouldn't have purchased the car. My last 3 cars had this feature and I am very used to it. Also the passenger seat will not raise and my wife says its like sitting in a hole. Road noise is louder than I like.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel. Engine power and smooth shifting. Great styling. Great Interior luxury and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely link the memory seats with the power mirrors. If they have to eliminate the power roof system to do this it would be fine with me. I never use it and yet it is not an option on the EX. The tires are quite noisy. Too much road noise.

Good car for the money!
By sabz

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Originally had the 2011 Optima, but after having the same problem 6times with the brake pedal getting stuck, and not being able to start the car, the dealer bought it back from us, and we traded up to the 2012. We've had the car since about this time last year. Really impressed with the difference. Seats are significantly more comfortable, and interior quality is also improved. Performance is adequate, and so is interior and trunk space. However, we aren't able to get the MPG's that are predicted to get, about an average of 26. Overall, we're really happy with the car, and hope to get many miles out it.

Favorite Features

The heated front and rear seats, as well as the steering wheel are nice on cold Wisconsin mornings. The panoramic sunroof is also a nice feature. The rear outward visibility isn't the best, but having the rear-view back up camera makes up for it. The ride is surprisingly comfortable on the highway, and the Bluetooth phone connectivity is flawless.

Suggested Improvements

Very short list. One thing is the road noise. Quieter tires, or better interior sound insulation would help make the car more refined and enjoyable on the highway. Other than the rear outward visibility, can't think of anything else wrong with the car. Really impressed for the car we got for the money.

Good in some aspects, still lacking in a lot more
By orleans44

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded my '09 TSX for a '12 Optima SX. While there are tons of nice standard features, like the heated and cooled seats, the turbo, the push button start and the panoramic sunroof, it's easy to tell the trade-offs Kia sacrificed to appease the value conscious consumer. If you're a true car person who pays attention to details and spends a decent amount of time in the car, spend a little more and get a car from a manufacturer who figures out the details. The car has great power. It will go when you want it to. The tires are the weak point and you find that out with wet pavement. The mileage is less than what mfr states on the sticker and on the "ave mpg" show in the dash.

Favorite Features

Heated/Cooled seats are comfy & rear heated seats are pleasant surprises for passengers, Great exterior look (lots of rubber necks!), lots of cargo space in trunk, good infinity sound, lots of power under the hood and great highway acceleration when needed, streaming music or phone conversation is really nice. closed panoramic moonroof. Steering wheel control is ok for radio but not useful for the phone, although once connected, the hands free is nice. Folding mirrors are a nice touch, too.

Suggested Improvements

Wind/Road noise are excessive, iPod/phone user interface is terrible even with the factory iPod cable - hard to navigate menus and playlists, also would have been nice to hide the wires like Acura! Gauge panel cluster is lacking (better info would be nice - some nav or temp info like audi), navi screen is cluttered with menu icons, and navi rarely recognizes a named destination, voice recognition is awful and voice dial is cumbersome, sunroof operation is not intuitive and is accompanied by sound wave buffeting behind another vehicle! Cheap materials in the buttons and poor button placement. Kia just didn't think through on a lot of things and cut corners on quality to provide features.