2012 kia optima SX Turbo Very, Very bad gas mileage
By jiebew on
2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Poor gas mileage. only getting about 21 MPG I drive mostly freeway and can't get any more than that. took it to the dealer and they did nothing about it. Seriously thinking about a lawsuit. will be soon getting some legal advise from and attorney. If other are already in this mode i would love to hear from you. Yesterday and today I couldn't get the car to go above 40 MPH. I had to pull off the road and turn the car off and restar it. It did better but something is wrong. will be taking it back to the dealer in the morning.
Favorite Features
The styling is great, interior styling and features are second to none. Hope the interior quality matches the styling quality and holds up over the long hall.
Suggested Improvements
Rough on the bumps, need to improve the supenson. A car that list at $31,500 should not fell like the bottom is fall from under it.
By slkfranklin
on 01/22/13 11:04 AM (PST)

I hear ya! Piece of junk! It is a shame to pay $31k for a car and have this many problems with it. Mine started at around 1000 miles. The car started feeling like it had a hesitation. It kind of felt like something might be going on with the turbo. So, we took the car in and of course they could find nothing wrong with it. Then one day it threw itself into limp mode and wouldn't pull itself at all. It has done that several times now. I seriously think that a Prius could have out ran me! It finally threw a code and they replaced the boost solenoid. Still had the hesitation feeling. They have "adjusted" the voltage on the turbo about 10 different times. The only answer I ever get is "It isn't throwing a code so we don't know what is wrong with it. The car seems to be perfoming correctly." BS!! This past week my gas mileage has dropped to 19-20 on the highway. I have been getting 28-34...so who knows what the heck that problem is. Finally, 18,000 miles (30 days total at dealership) later with no luck of my car being fixed, I have turned all of my info into a Lemon Law lawyer. All I can say is good luck!

By optimaowner11
on 04/06/12 17:19 PM (PDT)

i have owned my optima 2011 lx since july2007 ...i have 7500 miles on my car and get 22 MPG in strictly city and 32 MPG on the highway at 75 MPH...i am fully satisfy with my purchase...the only problem optima has is the tires...if u have nexen tires on your SX then i recommend that your inflate then to 35 PSI(TOTALLY SAFE) and drive the car in ECO MODE and see if that makes any difference ...good luck

By nayr3
on 07/22/12 20:53 PM (PDT)

I have an 2012 Kia optima sx turbo and I to drive a lot on hwy everyday going to work. I get 37 mpg like clock work and I set my cruise at 75 mph!!!! I don't know what that guy is talking about plus Kia has the best warranty out there. Sounds like he has been having problems with his car since he could only get it to 40mph. That's an safety feather that Kia has all their cars so it won't mess anything up. I have always drove Chevrolets until Kia came out with the all new Kia optima and let me tell you everytime I go to dealership they are selling a lot of Kia's and their service is the best I have ever seen.Everyone in my family now drives Kia's instead of anything else just wish with a lot of other customers they would build an Kia Truck???