2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Good car good mpg
By cde5151 on 01/13/13 21:45 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

A great looking car with good mpg, lots of standard features, fairly good ride, average 31.7 mpg so far, 30% city 70% hwy driving. Nexen tires are average at best

GOOD CAR AND MPG
By cde5151 on 01/13/13 21:07 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Had the optima 1 month, have put on a 1000 miles, has total of 21432 miles now. comfort fairly good, I am 6'2. I think the car looks great. Can fit 4 adults, 5 would be a tight fit. A lot of talk about poor mpg. I drive 40 miles a day. 30 miles on hwy and 10 a day in the city(Lawrence, Ks.)I average 32 mpg so far. So no complaints here,,,...

Wish I Wouldn't Have Leased So I could Sell It!
By bjk2 on 01/09/13 20:30 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If I had bought this car I could sell it & cut my losses on gas. Most everything is great about my 2013 Optima SXL 2.0 Turbo except that I average 16 mpg. No I don't drive it hard or fast. I get better mpg in my Chevy HD2500 4x4, 4gr, long bed diesel. If I was getting the advertised 22 mpg city I'd be happier. I hope there is such a thing a a break-in period to get the advertised mpg. I'd rather have my gutless 1.8L Toyota Matrix that gets great gas mileage at this point in time. The low ratings are all about the mpg.

Decent car for the Money - Wish MPG was better
By soxfan99 on 12/31/12 11:51 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Leased car in April 2012. Wanted to give the car a few months of driving before writing a review. Rides and handles great. Great tech options. Build quaility is what you would expect in the price range - It's a 21,000 car(25,800 list) - that being said, you can tell where they cut back. Door handles are one example. As far as the stated MPG, have put 11,000 miles of combined driving, never have gotten above 23-24 mpg. Long highway trips (with cruise) 31-32 mpg. Eco or not does not matter. The dealer does know, they said, nothing they can do. Kia corporate only wants to "talk about it". I bet - now that they are giving fuel credits to some owners of other models.

Love Love Love
By uwololli on 12/07/12 21:39 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had this car (used) for nearly 3 months and I'm having a love affair! I drive almost 70 miles round trip a day and I average 36-38 hwy mpg (32 mpg overall). Anyone who says they get lower milage needs to press their "Eco" button and set their cruise control. My neighbor bought an Accord about the same time and while he gets a few more mpg, no one turns their head when he pulls into the parking lot at work. Speaking of work, we get 4 adults into my Optima when we go to lunch and no one complains about room (also can't be said for his Accord).

Extremely Satisfied
By bambino3 on 10/28/12 19:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car new in November 2011 and now have just over 12,000 miles on it. It's been flawless so far. Not a single issue. Averaging 30mpg under all conditions. I can't say that about any of the previous Audi A4's I've owned--which were far more costly when comparing feature for feature. Great performance with the 2.0 turbo, plus excellent fuel economy for a sedan of this size--on regular unleaded.

Disappointed
By swkia on 10/27/12 22:51 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Poor gas mileage especially in the city. Under 16 mpg avg(mostly city) Never been gentler on a car(BORING) can't get it get anywhere near rated mileage. Dealer no help. Sirrus radio sounds awful when using Sirrus. I leased this vehicle expecting to save on fuel consumption. This low mileage is hitting hard at $4 a gallon. When researching I saw the low mileage warnings and bought into break in in period malarkey. Not true, got worse. If it weren't for the poor gas mileage. I would give it high ratings. I like most everything else.

Great 4 door sports car
By david_h on 10/24/12 07:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had 3 Land Rovers in a row and was tired of 12 - 14 mpg fuel economy in the city. This Kia Rocks on mileage, I average 22- 24 mpg in the city and 35 mpg or even higher on the highway. I live in Texas so it's very flat here and I'm sure that helps. At first I would do my own calculations for fuel economy bu ditched that after I realized dash computer was on the money. I have two children, both in car seats and there is plenty of room in the back seat for them. The doors open very wide so it's easy to get them in and out. I love all the features, the seats are comfortable, and the price is outstanding for all that you get. I got a loaded one for under $30k after lots of negotiation.

My Kia Stinks
By sylus on 10/23/12 20:30 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a 2012 ex turbo in April 2012. from week one we could smell mold in the car. After typing in my kia smells into google it appears this is a know issue on models across the Kia range from 2011. Six months later we still can't get Kia to admit the mold problem and we are stuck with the car despite several attempts to recify it. Incredibly dissapointed in the car, getting mold into our lungs and Kia's response. No good having a warranty for 7 years if it's in the workshop all the time.

Regret?
By sdbolts on 10/19/12 15:29 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in March of 2012 with high expectations. In the beginning, I didn't notice how bad the gas mileage actually was, because I thought it was just getting acclimated with my driving. However, after a couple months, I could only muster between 23-25mpg city, and 27-29mpg highway. Also, the steering is rather lacking, it doesn't feel tight or grip the road as well as thought it would. The acceleration is weak, period. Also, the "eco" mode plays a large role in fuel economy, larger than I expected. Without the eco mode, the car handles well, more power, and a much better feel; just how I expected with about 20% worse fuel economy.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Optima in VA is:

$152 per month*