Used 2012 Kia Optima SX Sedan Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Great deal and ride!
By Don Heisler

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I got mine way below book and it was one time lease owner so it was taken care of. If you find one treated write it should last. In all makes of vehicles there are bad apples so get an extended warranty because any used car will have parts that fail. Mechanic friends said that kia has come along way and I couldn't be happier. Great sporty luxury car for low price.

Terrible - Upset
By Brandon

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 2012 Kia Optima SX in October of 2014 with 42,000 miles. Now...November of 2015, I hit 63,000 miles and the engine just blew on the expressway. No Kia warranty as it expired, relying on a 3rd party warranty group. I provided the warranty company with all my service, oil change and maint records. It's taking a while to get updates. Future Kia buyers, ensure you do ample research and read owner reviews. I will never buy Kia again due to the fact that my model was very well maintained with Kia service dept and general car owner maintenance duties. I have friends who own Kia model between 2012-2014 and they to have had engine blew... One model Being Kia Soul. Very disappointed.

Ran great for 2 years and now problems
By yogi111

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For the most part I love this car. If I keep it at 80 or under on the freeway it can get 31-33 mpg. City mpg around 22. The battery died one month after the warranty expired and my fuel pump just went out...luckily I got it to the shop before I was stranded and it is still under warranty.

The heated/cooled seats are very comfortable.

The door speakers on both sides have been replaced and the new ones still don't sound great. I don't play music loud enough to blow them out so the quality needs to be improved. The original tires looked good but bad weather performance sucked! The battery lasted less than 3 years-WTF?

UPDATE: review 2012 Kia Optima SX
By cdh906

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is an update to my past review. I have 67,000 (2.5 yrs old) miles on my car- and I want to get rid of it now. I'm very disappointed in this car now. (I previously gave it 4 stars) but reliability trumps here. This car has now left me stranded in a parking lot twice because it wouldn't start. Stuck on the side of the freeway due to a failed fuel pump which is apparently common, but Kia won't pay for the replacement. Without a working turbo more than a few times. The leather is not real - and has started cracking despite meticulous care. Battery died at 2.25 yrs and this is also "the norm" for this car. Having to tow my 'new' car to the dealership on a flatbed was less than fun.

Good aesthetics

They made a pretty car but it's poorly done and won't last. Rebuild the whole car with quality parts.

12 SX Turbo
By sxturbo12

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned the 12 SX Turbo for about a week now. I just traded in a 10 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5 due to early trans failure :(. it killed me. However, i am LOVING the Optima SX TURBO.. very good MPG's for a turbo engine. I do about 90% city driving and I average about 25.5 MPG's. Going from a charger to an optima is quite a large jump but I couldn't be happier. I am still on my first tank of cause. With the calculations, I should end up with about 415-420 on this tank. I do not drive like a grandma either .. lol.

Love the exterior sport appearance. Comfort in the seating. Spacious for tall people like me. 2.0 TURBO with good pickup. MPG's. Low cost.

I do enjoy a bigger steering wheel. That is probably my only suggestion... a steering wheel more thick and slightly large in size for easy to grip and handle.