Used 2012 Kia Optima SX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Ran great for 2 years and now problems
By yogi111

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For the most part I love this car. If I keep it at 80 or under on the freeway it can get 31-33 mpg. City mpg around 22. The battery died one month after the warranty expired and my fuel pump just went out...luckily I got it to the shop before I was stranded and it is still under warranty.

The heated/cooled seats are very comfortable.

The door speakers on both sides have been replaced and the new ones still don't sound great. I don't play music loud enough to blow them out so the quality needs to be improved. The original tires looked good but bad weather performance sucked! The battery lasted less than 3 years-WTF?

UPDATE: review 2012 Kia Optima SX
By cdh906

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is an update to my past review. I have 67,000 (2.5 yrs old) miles on my car- and I want to get rid of it now. I'm very disappointed in this car now. (I previously gave it 4 stars) but reliability trumps here. This car has now left me stranded in a parking lot twice because it wouldn't start. Stuck on the side of the freeway due to a failed fuel pump which is apparently common, but Kia won't pay for the replacement. Without a working turbo more than a few times. The leather is not real - and has started cracking despite meticulous care. Battery died at 2.25 yrs and this is also "the norm" for this car. Having to tow my 'new' car to the dealership on a flatbed was less than fun.

Good aesthetics

They made a pretty car but it's poorly done and won't last. Rebuild the whole car with quality parts.

12 SX Turbo
By sxturbo12

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned the 12 SX Turbo for about a week now. I just traded in a 10 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5 due to early trans failure :(. it killed me. However, i am LOVING the Optima SX TURBO.. very good MPG's for a turbo engine. I do about 90% city driving and I average about 25.5 MPG's. Going from a charger to an optima is quite a large jump but I couldn't be happier. I am still on my first tank of cause. With the calculations, I should end up with about 415-420 on this tank. I do not drive like a grandma either .. lol.

Love the exterior sport appearance. Comfort in the seating. Spacious for tall people like me. 2.0 TURBO with good pickup. MPG's. Low cost.

I do enjoy a bigger steering wheel. That is probably my only suggestion... a steering wheel more thick and slightly large in size for easy to grip and handle.

Used To LOVE My 2012 Optima - Now I HATE It!
By imac7

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2012 Optima looks great; however, on the first day after I bought it, I was driving on freeway (regular freeway speed) and I noticed intermittent wind noise coming in by the top of driver door. I hope it was something that could be fixed. Three dealer appointments (time wasted) one which was arranged by Kia Corporate their bottom line was "normal noise." I owned a Sentra, Accord, Maxima, Camry, and a Pathfinder (which am not counting) and NONE of the cars had this issue. Also, my MPG average is about 22 (Last tank - no change in driving conditions - I got 19+)... MPG was a major factor when I decided to buy this car.

Exterior looks but front too low.

Intermittent WIND noise when driving. MPG! Seats, especially headrest. Head room. I drive mostly highway and traffic has been good lately but my MPG hasn't improved with mileage as dealer kept telling me.

Good in some aspects, still lacking in a lot more
By orleans44

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded my '09 TSX for a '12 Optima SX. While there are tons of nice standard features, like the heated and cooled seats, the turbo, the push button start and the panoramic sunroof, it's easy to tell the trade-offs Kia sacrificed to appease the value conscious consumer. If you're a true car person who pays attention to details and spends a decent amount of time in the car, spend a little more and get a car from a manufacturer who figures out the details. The car has great power. It will go when you want it to. The tires are the weak point and you find that out with wet pavement. The mileage is less than what mfr states on the sticker and on the "ave mpg" show in the dash.

Heated/Cooled seats are comfy & rear heated seats are pleasant surprises for passengers, Great exterior look (lots of rubber necks!), lots of cargo space in trunk, good infinity sound, lots of power under the hood and great highway acceleration when needed, streaming music or phone conversation is really nice. closed panoramic moonroof. Steering wheel control is ok for radio but not useful for the phone, although once connected, the hands free is nice. Folding mirrors are a nice touch, too.

Wind/Road noise are excessive, iPod/phone user interface is terrible even with the factory iPod cable - hard to navigate menus and playlists, also would have been nice to hide the wires like Acura! Gauge panel cluster is lacking (better info would be nice - some nav or temp info like audi), navi screen is cluttered with menu icons, and navi rarely recognizes a named destination, voice recognition is awful and voice dial is cumbersome, sunroof operation is not intuitive and is accompanied by sound wave buffeting behind another vehicle! Cheap materials in the buttons and poor button placement. Kia just didn't think through on a lot of things and cut corners on quality to provide features.