2012 Kia Optima Sedan 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SX Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Used To LOVE My 2012 Optima - Now I HATE It!
By imac7 on 06/19/13 14:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2012 Optima looks great; however, on the first day after I bought it, I was driving on freeway (regular freeway speed) and I noticed intermittent wind noise coming in by the top of driver door. I hope it was something that could be fixed. Three dealer appointments (time wasted) one which was arranged by Kia Corporate their bottom line was "normal noise." I owned a Sentra, Accord, Maxima, Camry, and a Pathfinder (which am not counting) and NONE of the cars had this issue. Also, my MPG average is about 22 (Last tank - no change in driving conditions - I got 19+)... MPG was a major factor when I decided to buy this car.

Good in some aspects, still lacking in a lot more
By orleans44 on 03/30/13 17:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded my '09 TSX for a '12 Optima SX. While there are tons of nice standard features, like the heated and cooled seats, the turbo, the push button start and the panoramic sunroof, it's easy to tell the trade-offs Kia sacrificed to appease the value conscious consumer. If you're a true car person who pays attention to details and spends a decent amount of time in the car, spend a little more and get a car from a manufacturer who figures out the details. The car has great power. It will go when you want it to. The tires are the weak point and you find that out with wet pavement. The mileage is less than what mfr states on the sticker and on the "ave mpg" show in the dash.

Wish I Wouldn't Have Leased So I could Sell It!
By bjk2 on 01/09/13 20:30 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If I had bought this car I could sell it & cut my losses on gas. Most everything is great about my 2013 Optima SXL 2.0 Turbo except that I average 16 mpg. No I don't drive it hard or fast. I get better mpg in my Chevy HD2500 4x4, 4gr, long bed diesel. If I was getting the advertised 22 mpg city I'd be happier. I hope there is such a thing a a break-in period to get the advertised mpg. I'd rather have my gutless 1.8L Toyota Matrix that gets great gas mileage at this point in time. The low ratings are all about the mpg.

Extremely Satisfied
By bambino3 on 10/28/12 19:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car new in November 2011 and now have just over 12,000 miles on it. It's been flawless so far. Not a single issue. Averaging 30mpg under all conditions. I can't say that about any of the previous Audi A4's I've owned--which were far more costly when comparing feature for feature. Great performance with the 2.0 turbo, plus excellent fuel economy for a sedan of this size--on regular unleaded.

Great 4 door sports car
By david_h on 10/24/12 07:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had 3 Land Rovers in a row and was tired of 12 - 14 mpg fuel economy in the city. This Kia Rocks on mileage, I average 22- 24 mpg in the city and 35 mpg or even higher on the highway. I live in Texas so it's very flat here and I'm sure that helps. At first I would do my own calculations for fuel economy bu ditched that after I realized dash computer was on the money. I have two children, both in car seats and there is plenty of room in the back seat for them. The doors open very wide so it's easy to get them in and out. I love all the features, the seats are comfortable, and the price is outstanding for all that you get. I got a loaded one for under $30k after lots of negotiation.

Really Fun To Drive
By mswhitfield on 08/15/12 19:23 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2.5mths and almost 3k miles, I am still enjoying my Spicy Red Optima. (Midlife crisis? Maybe) After over 7yrs in a Chevy Equinox, off the showroom floor, that I soon came to loathe, that's an understatement. I had a Lexus in mind, but the SX blew me away. Kia has come a long way from their 'buy one get one free days'.

Just OK
By soadokdls on 07/25/12 09:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I really like the way the car looks and some of the great features you would never get with a similar car but there are definitely things that I am not impressed with. The UVO system they have works well intermittantly and they claim the issues I have with the phone is bc I'm using my iPhone cable instead of their $40 cable which is total BS. Also, I had a 2010 Toyota Camry V6 prior to this so the HP is the same, but since the Kia is a 4 cylinder the power just isn't as good. Oh, and my insurance also doubled!!!! My insurance company claims the Kia's ISO rating is 30 and my Camry, which was $2k more, was a 16. How is that freakin possible?? Has anyone else experienced that?

Does Kia really listen to it's customers?
By dbenson62 on 06/30/12 15:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just purchased a 2012 SX Turbo in Corsa Blue. I have already had people pull up next to me and tell me what a beautiful car it is. I love the power, styling, all the controls and more. I had a 07' Impala and the leg room in the back seat was awful. power was sluggish and not many options. I was pleasantly surprised to find plenty of leg room in the Kia along with all the goodies to play with. I only have 175 miles on it so far, just breaking it in so I can't say much about the gas mileage. It is quiet on the road and down the freeway. It is just a fun car to drive. We use to laugh at people that drove Hyundai and Kia, you can't afford a real car? Now we own one and love it! It's rated well

3000 miles and running
By mrvega on 06/29/12 15:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

3000 miles later and I am still impressed with my Optima sx turbo. Driving a bit faster than Highway speeds 80-90mph it feels very stable, relatively quiet, it feels like you are doing 20-25 mph slower. If you hit the gas from 75-100 it feels like its running out of steam. Sound system- Very good (however streaming is poor) Bluetooth- Poor (my 2011 Camaro BT was thousand times better) This cuts out and I have to reconnect. Sirius Satelite radio still stops working under bridges and gas station where my xm in my camaro never failed. Suspension-Feels great, not floaty It was a great purchase. I would like to see a future comparision with the 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 and the next Mazda 6

Very pleasantly surprised
By country6543 on 06/22/12 06:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My wife totalled her 300C and we looked at new cars for almost 8 months. With the way the economy was I wanted fuel efficient but she wanted sporty and fun to drive. Looked at all the different family cars out there and then drove the optima SX turbo. The features that set the Optima apart was the very roomy back seat for the kids, Great looks and fuel economy. We have around 8,000 miles on the vehicle and still love it. No problems, No noises and she gets raving compliments everywhere she goes. She drives mostly city with a little highway driving. City mpg is about 19-21 but highway mpg is right on the button at 33. I am 6'2" and have no problem with comfort, front or back.