Used 2012 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Blown Motor with just 105,000 miles on it.
By David

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Optima LX brand new. Kept up with oil changes and used it almost exclusively for commuting on the highway. Without warning the motor started knocking and squealing on the freeway and then died. Had it towed to KIA who said that the engine needs replacement. Since I am 5,000 miles beyond the 100,000 mile warranty they will not cover anything and gave me a quote of about $7,000 to replace the motor. Although I absolutely loved this car, this is unacceptable. It appears that I am not the only person who has experienced blown engines with the Kia Optima. Now I have a car that is only half way paid for and I have to come up with 7k to fix it. I will never buy a Kia again.

Fuel Pump
By slh2

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Not too bad of a car other than road noise is pretty loud. It sounds like air leaking in the windows but they say there is nothing wrong with the windows. My fuel pump went out and it was $700 to fix (not covered under the warranty). The tires that come on the car are terrible in rain. I have had to use Synthetic oil since my 2nd oil change because it was low on oil. I am really not happy with this car. I have 80,000 miles on it now and I drive 100 highway miles a day. It doesnt seem like it is going to last as long as my 2003 Toyota Highland that has 299,000 miles on it and never replace the first think except tires, brakes and spark plugs. The toyota was an excellent vehicle!!!!

Fuel Pump, Tires, Road noise, Air noise in windows, Something wrong with using oil had to change to synthetic could explain why

so far so good
By dawoj52

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I got my kia optima 2012 LX used. I thought it would make a great commute car i drive around 80 miles per day to and from work. I currently have 80,000 miles on my kia and so far it has been a joy .I do have some minor problems like the passager and rear windows cant be rolled up or down from the driver control panel ,r/s cigarette lighter does not work,inside temperature gauge quit working ,so i have to take it back to the dealer. The tires on the kia are very cheep and need to be replaced asap upon purchase. MPG is great i drive from Chicago to Indiana all highway miles and i spend no more than $ 55 per week on gas . I get complements on a look of the car all the time !!

fun to drive, has good acceleration for a 4 cyl. great looking car .

TIRES !!!!!!

Update -- Better than Expectedd
By fixer199

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

42,000 mile update. This car has been one of the most trouble-free and enjoyable cars we've ever owned. Still don't recommend the Nav unit, but I understand Kia changed it for 2013. Nexen tires are crap! We swapped them for Michellins at 30k. HUGE improvement in handling, quiet, and wet traction. We log our fuel usage and have averaged 25.53 mpg since new. About 80% of that was metro driving. We usually get 30-33 on road trips. Dealer service has been excellent. Had one issue with a burr on the steering gear. My wife didn't even notice it, but the dealer took care of it and provided a loaner. No hassles. Wish I could say the same for my Ford truck dealer.

Love the looks - get lots of compliments on it. Comfortable, peppy, reliable. Retaining its resale better than a comparable Honda Accord, so a GREAT value. I'm surprised other reviewers complained about room. I'm 6'2" and have always been comfortable in either the front or back seat -- and we have the sun roof.

Get rid of the Nexen tires!! I didn't feel safe on them with any type of moisture on the road, and they were noisy.

Ran great for 2 years and now problems
By yogi111

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For the most part I love this car. If I keep it at 80 or under on the freeway it can get 31-33 mpg. City mpg around 22. The battery died one month after the warranty expired and my fuel pump just went out...luckily I got it to the shop before I was stranded and it is still under warranty.

The heated/cooled seats are very comfortable.

The door speakers on both sides have been replaced and the new ones still don't sound great. I don't play music loud enough to blow them out so the quality needs to be improved. The original tires looked good but bad weather performance sucked! The battery lasted less than 3 years-WTF?