Used 2012 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Fuel Pump
By slh2 on 03/09/15 13:07 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Not too bad of a car other than road noise is pretty loud. It sounds like air leaking in the windows but they say there is nothing wrong with the windows. My fuel pump went out and it was $700 to fix (not covered under the warranty). The tires that come on the car are terrible in rain. I have had to use Synthetic oil since my 2nd oil change because it was low on oil. I am really not happy with this car. I have 80,000 miles on it now and I drive 100 highway miles a day. It doesnt seem like it is going to last as long as my 2003 Toyota Highland that has 299,000 miles on it and never replace the first think except tires, brakes and spark plugs. The toyota was an excellent vehicle!!!!

so far so good
By dawoj52 on 12/02/14 07:53 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I got my kia optima 2012 LX used. I thought it would make a great commute car i drive around 80 miles per day to and from work. I currently have 80,000 miles on my kia and so far it has been a joy .I do have some minor problems like the passager and rear windows cant be rolled up or down from the driver control panel ,r/s cigarette lighter does not work,inside temperature gauge quit working ,so i have to take it back to the dealer. The tires on the kia are very cheep and need to be replaced asap upon purchase. MPG is great i drive from Chicago to Indiana all highway miles and i spend no more than $ 55 per week on gas . I get complements on a look of the car all the time !!

Update -- Better than Expectedd
By fixer199 on 11/23/14 20:50 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

42,000 mile update. This car has been one of the most trouble-free and enjoyable cars we've ever owned. Still don't recommend the Nav unit, but I understand Kia changed it for 2013. Nexen tires are crap! We swapped them for Michellins at 30k. HUGE improvement in handling, quiet, and wet traction. We log our fuel usage and have averaged 25.53 mpg since new. About 80% of that was metro driving. We usually get 30-33 on road trips. Dealer service has been excellent. Had one issue with a burr on the steering gear. My wife didn't even notice it, but the dealer took care of it and provided a loaner. No hassles. Wish I could say the same for my Ford truck dealer.

Ran great for 2 years and now problems
By yogi111 on 10/30/14 21:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For the most part I love this car. If I keep it at 80 or under on the freeway it can get 31-33 mpg. City mpg around 22. The battery died one month after the warranty expired and my fuel pump just went out...luckily I got it to the shop before I was stranded and it is still under warranty.

UPDATE: review 2012 Kia Optima SX
By cdh906 on 10/28/14 22:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is an update to my past review. I have 67,000 (2.5 yrs old) miles on my car- and I want to get rid of it now. I'm very disappointed in this car now. (I previously gave it 4 stars) but reliability trumps here. This car has now left me stranded in a parking lot twice because it wouldn't start. Stuck on the side of the freeway due to a failed fuel pump which is apparently common, but Kia won't pay for the replacement. Without a working turbo more than a few times. The leather is not real - and has started cracking despite meticulous care. Battery died at 2.25 yrs and this is also "the norm" for this car. Having to tow my 'new' car to the dealership on a flatbed was less than fun.

12 SX Turbo
By sxturbo12 on 10/07/14 18:22 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned the 12 SX Turbo for about a week now. I just traded in a 10 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5 due to early trans failure :(. it killed me. However, i am LOVING the Optima SX TURBO.. very good MPG's for a turbo engine. I do about 90% city driving and I average about 25.5 MPG's. Going from a charger to an optima is quite a large jump but I couldn't be happier. I am still on my first tank of cause. With the calculations, I should end up with about 415-420 on this tank. I do not drive like a grandma either .. lol.

What else did KIA decide to go cheap on??
By robs777 on 09/11/14 14:28 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We leased this car in 2012 and as of 2014 we find out that KIA decided to make OE tires that are only 30k tires! So now we have a leased car that we are having to replace the tires on before we return the lease. What are your thoughts America? Would you buy a car from a company that has no more concern for their customers than that? Also I am wondering what else KIA decided to cut corners on??

Kia Optima 2012 review update
By soxfan99 on 08/23/14 09:56 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wanted to write an updated review on my Kia Optima 2012 EX. As far as the vehicle itself, starting to show wear at 32k miles on the interior and exterior with light use (car is garaged daily). Arm rest is peeling. Carpet on rear deck is discoloring. "Leather" seats are starting to break down. Mileage has not changed or improved still averaging around 23mpg C-H driving. Tires that Kia is equipping the Optima with - horrible. Have the alignment checked (this is a known problem). This Optima has gone out 2 times. So in all not a horrible car, but cheaply made - we are glad it's a lease. We will be turning in and not looking back.

Replaced trans at 18k
By sassy1866 on 10/17/13 14:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love this car but at 18k miles I've had to have the transmission replaced already. As soon as I pay the car off I'm getting rid of it. It's fun to drive and looks great inside and out. But to have a major part of the replaced so soon is unacceptable. I had high hopes for Kia but it seems they have a long way to go in reliability.

Nice car but......
By sassy1866 on 07/15/13 16:34 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

So far I really like this car. Handles great, no lack of speed and enjoy the interior. A couple of negatives are gas mileage, wind noise and the passenger seat feels like you're sitting on the floor.