2012 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
so far so good
By dawoj52 on 12/02/14 07:53 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I got my kia optima 2012 LX used. I thought it would make a great commute car i drive around 80 miles per day to and from work. I currently have 80,000 miles on my kia and so far it has been a joy .I do have some minor problems like the passager and rear windows cant be rolled up or down from the driver control panel ,r/s cigarette lighter does not work,inside temperature gauge quit working ,so i have to take it back to the dealer. The tires on the kia are very cheep and need to be replaced asap upon purchase. MPG is great i drive from Chicago to Indiana all highway miles and i spend no more than $ 55 per week on gas . I get complements on a look of the car all the time !!

Update -- Better than Expectedd
By fixer199 on 11/23/14 20:50 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

42,000 mile update. This car has been one of the most trouble-free and enjoyable cars we've ever owned. Still don't recommend the Nav unit, but I understand Kia changed it for 2013. Nexen tires are crap! We swapped them for Michellins at 30k. HUGE improvement in handling, quiet, and wet traction. We log our fuel usage and have averaged 25.53 mpg since new. About 80% of that was metro driving. We usually get 30-33 on road trips. Dealer service has been excellent. Had one issue with a burr on the steering gear. My wife didn't even notice it, but the dealer took care of it and provided a loaner. No hassles. Wish I could say the same for my Ford truck dealer.

Kia Optima 2012 review update
By soxfan99 on 08/23/14 09:56 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wanted to write an updated review on my Kia Optima 2012 EX. As far as the vehicle itself, starting to show wear at 32k miles on the interior and exterior with light use (car is garaged daily). Arm rest is peeling. Carpet on rear deck is discoloring. "Leather" seats are starting to break down. Mileage has not changed or improved still averaging around 23mpg C-H driving. Tires that Kia is equipping the Optima with - horrible. Have the alignment checked (this is a known problem). This Optima has gone out 2 times. So in all not a horrible car, but cheaply made - we are glad it's a lease. We will be turning in and not looking back.

Replaced trans at 18k
By sassy1866 on 10/17/13 14:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love this car but at 18k miles I've had to have the transmission replaced already. As soon as I pay the car off I'm getting rid of it. It's fun to drive and looks great inside and out. But to have a major part of the replaced so soon is unacceptable. I had high hopes for Kia but it seems they have a long way to go in reliability.

Nice car but......
By sassy1866 on 07/15/13 16:34 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

So far I really like this car. Handles great, no lack of speed and enjoy the interior. A couple of negatives are gas mileage, wind noise and the passenger seat feels like you're sitting on the floor.

Used To LOVE My 2012 Optima - Now I HATE It!
By imac7 on 06/19/13 14:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2012 Optima looks great; however, on the first day after I bought it, I was driving on freeway (regular freeway speed) and I noticed intermittent wind noise coming in by the top of driver door. I hope it was something that could be fixed. Three dealer appointments (time wasted) one which was arranged by Kia Corporate their bottom line was "normal noise." I owned a Sentra, Accord, Maxima, Camry, and a Pathfinder (which am not counting) and NONE of the cars had this issue. Also, my MPG average is about 22 (Last tank - no change in driving conditions - I got 19+)... MPG was a major factor when I decided to buy this car.

2012 Kia Optima Amazing Value for the Money
By botoboto on 06/15/13 20:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2012 Optima last year. I love this car! There is no need, I feel, for spending $$$ on a luxury sedan. The car is very comfortable, sporty, fun to drive, and the Gas Mileage is what the sticker says. Actually I can get 37 on highway trips. I even used the Progressive drive module for a month and had a poor rating because of my acceleration habits. Now there are some things I do not like. The side mirrors are NOT connected to the seat memory. If I had known this, I wouldn't have purchased the car. My last 3 cars had this feature and I am very used to it. Also the passenger seat will not raise and my wife says its like sitting in a hole. Road noise is louder than I like.

Good car for the money!
By sabz on 05/26/13 19:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Originally had the 2011 Optima, but after having the same problem 6times with the brake pedal getting stuck, and not being able to start the car, the dealer bought it back from us, and we traded up to the 2012. We've had the car since about this time last year. Really impressed with the difference. Seats are significantly more comfortable, and interior quality is also improved. Performance is adequate, and so is interior and trunk space. However, we aren't able to get the MPG's that are predicted to get, about an average of 26. Overall, we're really happy with the car, and hope to get many miles out it.

Good in some aspects, still lacking in a lot more
By orleans44 on 03/30/13 17:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded my '09 TSX for a '12 Optima SX. While there are tons of nice standard features, like the heated and cooled seats, the turbo, the push button start and the panoramic sunroof, it's easy to tell the trade-offs Kia sacrificed to appease the value conscious consumer. If you're a true car person who pays attention to details and spends a decent amount of time in the car, spend a little more and get a car from a manufacturer who figures out the details. The car has great power. It will go when you want it to. The tires are the weak point and you find that out with wet pavement. The mileage is less than what mfr states on the sticker and on the "ave mpg" show in the dash.

A good buy with a few flaws
By upacrk1 on 03/13/13 18:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a new 2012 Kia Optima LX in Snow White Pearl back in May 2012. Originally I had an issue with the driver's seat not being very comfortable. (I didn't notice this in the short test drive.) In the 9 months I've owned it, my butt seems to have gotten used to it. The acceleration is great! So good that if the roads are slick, I have to put it in ECO mode so the tires don't slip. This may also says something about the OEM Nexen tires. I haven't been driving much so far- only 4700 miles. (Try to walk/bike as much as I can). MPG per tank is 22-27 with an avg 24.5 . As expected, mileage is lower in the cold winter months. No long trips yet - can't wait to see what I'll get then!