2012 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Replaced trans at 18k
By sassy1866 on 10/17/13 14:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love this car but at 18k miles I've had to have the transmission replaced already. As soon as I pay the car off I'm getting rid of it. It's fun to drive and looks great inside and out. But to have a major part of the replaced so soon is unacceptable. I had high hopes for Kia but it seems they have a long way to go in reliability.

Nice car but......
By sassy1866 on 07/15/13 16:34 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

So far I really like this car. Handles great, no lack of speed and enjoy the interior. A couple of negatives are gas mileage, wind noise and the passenger seat feels like you're sitting on the floor.

Used To LOVE My 2012 Optima - Now I HATE It!
By imac7 on 06/19/13 14:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2012 Optima looks great; however, on the first day after I bought it, I was driving on freeway (regular freeway speed) and I noticed intermittent wind noise coming in by the top of driver door. I hope it was something that could be fixed. Three dealer appointments (time wasted) one which was arranged by Kia Corporate their bottom line was "normal noise." I owned a Sentra, Accord, Maxima, Camry, and a Pathfinder (which am not counting) and NONE of the cars had this issue. Also, my MPG average is about 22 (Last tank - no change in driving conditions - I got 19+)... MPG was a major factor when I decided to buy this car.

2012 Kia Optima Amazing Value for the Money
By botoboto on 06/15/13 20:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2012 Optima last year. I love this car! There is no need, I feel, for spending $$$ on a luxury sedan. The car is very comfortable, sporty, fun to drive, and the Gas Mileage is what the sticker says. Actually I can get 37 on highway trips. I even used the Progressive drive module for a month and had a poor rating because of my acceleration habits. Now there are some things I do not like. The side mirrors are NOT connected to the seat memory. If I had known this, I wouldn't have purchased the car. My last 3 cars had this feature and I am very used to it. Also the passenger seat will not raise and my wife says its like sitting in a hole. Road noise is louder than I like.

Good car for the money!
By sabz on 05/26/13 19:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Originally had the 2011 Optima, but after having the same problem 6times with the brake pedal getting stuck, and not being able to start the car, the dealer bought it back from us, and we traded up to the 2012. We've had the car since about this time last year. Really impressed with the difference. Seats are significantly more comfortable, and interior quality is also improved. Performance is adequate, and so is interior and trunk space. However, we aren't able to get the MPG's that are predicted to get, about an average of 26. Overall, we're really happy with the car, and hope to get many miles out it.

Good in some aspects, still lacking in a lot more
By orleans44 on 03/30/13 17:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded my '09 TSX for a '12 Optima SX. While there are tons of nice standard features, like the heated and cooled seats, the turbo, the push button start and the panoramic sunroof, it's easy to tell the trade-offs Kia sacrificed to appease the value conscious consumer. If you're a true car person who pays attention to details and spends a decent amount of time in the car, spend a little more and get a car from a manufacturer who figures out the details. The car has great power. It will go when you want it to. The tires are the weak point and you find that out with wet pavement. The mileage is less than what mfr states on the sticker and on the "ave mpg" show in the dash.

A good buy with a few flaws
By upacrk1 on 03/13/13 18:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a new 2012 Kia Optima LX in Snow White Pearl back in May 2012. Originally I had an issue with the driver's seat not being very comfortable. (I didn't notice this in the short test drive.) In the 9 months I've owned it, my butt seems to have gotten used to it. The acceleration is great! So good that if the roads are slick, I have to put it in ECO mode so the tires don't slip. This may also says something about the OEM Nexen tires. I haven't been driving much so far- only 4700 miles. (Try to walk/bike as much as I can). MPG per tank is 22-27 with an avg 24.5 . As expected, mileage is lower in the cold winter months. No long trips yet - can't wait to see what I'll get then!

A very nice driving experience!
By garlin1 on 03/05/13 19:07 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I would like to reply to all those customers who are complaining about the Fuel economy of the Optima. I just bought a new 2013 Optima LX and after reading your peeves about MPG I am flummoxed as to whether or not we are driving the same model. First off, I am approaching 7000 miles and I have averaged 30 MPG. No, I do not only drive on a traffic free highway, for I happen to live in California. Also, if you have the LX or EX model in a 2.4 Litre and you complain about getting under 20 MPG there is something specifically wrong with your driving style and habits. Fuel economy relies where and how you drive. What matters is how smoothly and how often you depress the accelerator.

Bad engine- Gas HOG! :(
By lynnedoe on 01/28/13 15:18 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Optima in the fall of 2012. It has had engine work done 3 times. Kia refused to take the car back. Full engine was replaced on third trip in... Great looking car- but gas mileage is WAYYY lower then advertised. I got rid of my SUV to save money on gas. I'm now getting the same if not less mpg with this car. If I do not keep "ECO" option on I actually have gotten as low as just over 11 mpg. HORRIBLE. Not even a turbo... Can't say I'd recommend a Kia to anyone I know.

You get what you pay for
By giantsfan58 on 01/15/13 23:51 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a fully loaded 2012 Optima EX in Feb. 2012. I noticed soon after buying it that the leg room is very tight. My leg was constantly jammed up against the speaker in the driver's door. The seats are sharply molded and hard. The transmission went out at 13,000 miles. Recently, I noticed an issue with the steering. While driving down the freeway, the car would begin drifting right or left. When you go to correct it, there is a "catch" in the electronic steering. If you do a search for this you will see many others have had this problem. The real world MPG is nowhere near what thet advertise. This car has a ton of bells and whistles and is great looking, but buyer beware.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Optima Sedan in VA is:

$150 per month*