Used 2012 Kia Optima EX Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Never thought
By Scott Oaks

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had this Kia for a year and a half. I've never had a issue with it. It is the most comfortable car I've ever owned. A few years back I never would of purchased a Kia, but since the design change in 2012 they have made a remarkable convergence from one moment a disposable car and now it's a car I want to keep until the wheels fall off. The options offer are technically sound and most are offered only by luxury cars at a much higher cost. As a personal note I normally do upgrades wheels, performance enhancing, eco and power. But this car has not needed one, great fuel mileage, excellent handling and power with more to spare. It's a well rounded car.

Optima EX GTi: 4-year review. 61000 miles
By Val

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

(The dropdown only gave me the Hybrid option; this is NOT a hybrid Optima). I have a 3-day a week, 120-mile round trip commute. Gas mileage and good handling in snowy IL winters were important to me when I made a decision to purchase this car new in 2012. In all but the coldest conditions, I average 32-35 mpg on my highway drives; 25+ if driving around town. Like others, I love the heated steering wheel and seats, cooled seats in summer and the sunroof. Like others, when I have to take a turn in the passenger seat, I find it annoyingly low. Replaced tires at about 50,000 miles. Had the fuel pump go out (under warranty) at about 27,000 miles. Other than that, no repairs; just routine maintenance and regular oil changes (using synthetic oil - my choice; always use it!) I still love a lot of little things about this car - the keyless entry; the way the lights come on when I walk up to the car, the trunk space, the room for occasional passengers, the stylish looks. Handles just fine in the snow and still looks sharp as new on the outside. The tan leather is too light - shows dirt too easily; wish I would have gotten the darker interior. Overall, very pleased with my loaded Optima.

Blown Engine
By J Supanich

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Engine blew at 47,000. Like others have posted, my engine blew driving 70 mph on the highway. I bought the car used with 36,000 miles. At 42,000 it needed the fuel pump replaced (under warranty). When the engine blew, it took a long time for Kia Motors to approve the work. They will try to find reasons to not cover the work. I finally got my car back 6 weeks later.
Another issue I have is it is consistently pulling to the left. I have had it looked at 3 times already and it's still not fixed.
I do really like the some of the features of the Optima though. The Navigation and Climate Controls are on point. And it has a nice sporty feel to the car, but at this point I'm looking to trade it in ASAP before something else goes wrong.

Blown engine issue and transmission
By Victor vega

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 2012 Kia Optima ex GDI is a sexy looking car comfortable luxury but when I was driving on the free way at 70 mph in the fast lane the engine unexpectally turned off I thought I was going to get in a accident or die on that free way the dealership told me your engine is hurting bad and your entire engine needs to be replaced I just got a fresh good synthetic motor oil change it was fine driving but till this happens I miss work I was stuck with my car for 10 hours till I found the number to call the free Kia towing road side assistance by my warranty my Kia has 47,000 miles when it died and I just received it from car max I thought this was a very reliable car I guess not and how can I maintain the transmission since it's not serviceable ? If this new engine seizes again I'm sueing Kia no exceptions and I have my laywer waiting for me to say the word also Kia has poor engines and transmissions only good things are good body and luxury confort that's it.

2012 Optima EX purchased new
By Michiganrunner

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love my car....except...from the time I bought it just over 3 yrs ago, I've had battery issues. Now I'm thinking it's an electronic issue. I can sit in my car not running, and listen to the radio for 15 mins and the battery will die. Can't count the number of times I've had it jumped. KIA replaced the battery last year...and the problem continues. I only have 32,300 miles on my car in over 3 yrs- with a newer battery, and it's died twice within 3 weeks. Thankfully my local Kia dealer is going to pick it up from my work tomorrow morning, evaluate it, and bring it back to me before I leave work. My electronics freaked out today when I attempted to restart. I prepared to call Kia's free roadside assistance again and needed my VIN# to do so. I'd waited approx an hr and a half before calling. I went to my car to get the VIN...and it magically started! Wth? All electronic features had to be reset, but it actually started right up. Hence I do not believe it to be a battery issue, but an electronic one