Used 2012 Kia Optima EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Update -- Better than Expectedd
By fixer199

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

42,000 mile update. This car has been one of the most trouble-free and enjoyable cars we've ever owned. Still don't recommend the Nav unit, but I understand Kia changed it for 2013. Nexen tires are crap! We swapped them for Michellins at 30k. HUGE improvement in handling, quiet, and wet traction. We log our fuel usage and have averaged 25.53 mpg since new. About 80% of that was metro driving. We usually get 30-33 on road trips. Dealer service has been excellent. Had one issue with a burr on the steering gear. My wife didn't even notice it, but the dealer took care of it and provided a loaner. No hassles. Wish I could say the same for my Ford truck dealer.

Love the looks - get lots of compliments on it. Comfortable, peppy, reliable. Retaining its resale better than a comparable Honda Accord, so a GREAT value. I'm surprised other reviewers complained about room. I'm 6'2" and have always been comfortable in either the front or back seat -- and we have the sun roof.

Get rid of the Nexen tires!! I didn't feel safe on them with any type of moisture on the road, and they were noisy.

Kia Optima 2012 review update
By soxfan99

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wanted to write an updated review on my Kia Optima 2012 EX. As far as the vehicle itself, starting to show wear at 32k miles on the interior and exterior with light use (car is garaged daily). Arm rest is peeling. Carpet on rear deck is discoloring. "Leather" seats are starting to break down. Mileage has not changed or improved still averaging around 23mpg C-H driving. Tires that Kia is equipping the Optima with - horrible. Have the alignment checked (this is a known problem). This Optima has gone out 2 times. So in all not a horrible car, but cheaply made - we are glad it's a lease. We will be turning in and not looking back.

Bluetooth, safety features, good leg and head room. Push button start, decent handling, ok acceleration.

Differnet tires. Nexen brand tires are complete garbarge. Kia corporate and the dealer take no action -- except to purchase new tires. Do not get your lease vehicle with these. They will not last -- or figure replacing around 20K miles. Oh- btw Nexen will not warranty (tread or otherwise - including defects) any tire sold as OEM.

2012 Kia Optima Amazing Value for the Money
By botoboto

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2012 Optima last year. I love this car! There is no need, I feel, for spending $$$ on a luxury sedan. The car is very comfortable, sporty, fun to drive, and the Gas Mileage is what the sticker says. Actually I can get 37 on highway trips. I even used the Progressive drive module for a month and had a poor rating because of my acceleration habits. Now there are some things I do not like. The side mirrors are NOT connected to the seat memory. If I had known this, I wouldn't have purchased the car. My last 3 cars had this feature and I am very used to it. Also the passenger seat will not raise and my wife says its like sitting in a hole. Road noise is louder than I like.

Heated steering wheel. Engine power and smooth shifting. Great styling. Great Interior luxury and comfort.

Definitely link the memory seats with the power mirrors. If they have to eliminate the power roof system to do this it would be fine with me. I never use it and yet it is not an option on the EX. The tires are quite noisy. Too much road noise.

Good car for the money!
By sabz

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Originally had the 2011 Optima, but after having the same problem 6times with the brake pedal getting stuck, and not being able to start the car, the dealer bought it back from us, and we traded up to the 2012. We've had the car since about this time last year. Really impressed with the difference. Seats are significantly more comfortable, and interior quality is also improved. Performance is adequate, and so is interior and trunk space. However, we aren't able to get the MPG's that are predicted to get, about an average of 26. Overall, we're really happy with the car, and hope to get many miles out it.

The heated front and rear seats, as well as the steering wheel are nice on cold Wisconsin mornings. The panoramic sunroof is also a nice feature. The rear outward visibility isn't the best, but having the rear-view back up camera makes up for it. The ride is surprisingly comfortable on the highway, and the Bluetooth phone connectivity is flawless.

Very short list. One thing is the road noise. Quieter tires, or better interior sound insulation would help make the car more refined and enjoyable on the highway. Other than the rear outward visibility, can't think of anything else wrong with the car. Really impressed for the car we got for the money.

You get what you pay for
By giantsfan58

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a fully loaded 2012 Optima EX in Feb. 2012. I noticed soon after buying it that the leg room is very tight. My leg was constantly jammed up against the speaker in the driver's door. The seats are sharply molded and hard. The transmission went out at 13,000 miles. Recently, I noticed an issue with the steering. While driving down the freeway, the car would begin drifting right or left. When you go to correct it, there is a "catch" in the electronic steering. If you do a search for this you will see many others have had this problem. The real world MPG is nowhere near what thet advertise. This car has a ton of bells and whistles and is great looking, but buyer beware.

Heated and cooled seats. Folding mirrors. Beautiful exterior looks.

More comfortable seats. Better MPG. Fix the problem with the steering. Make the passenger seat height adjustable so you don't feel like you are sitting in a pit.