Left Pull - Update after talking to Kia
By jfogs on
2011 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
So apparently after placing a complaint to Kia I was informed that there is nothing that they can do with regards to the left pull issue. My customer service Rep Randy informed me that "this is the way the car was built" and that there is nothing they could do. So my question was "So you are telling me that the car was built to change lanes by itself creating a danger to me and my family?" Needless to say I really didn't get an answer. IWas considering getting a Kia Sorrento for my wife. I will NEVER buy another Kia product again and am kicking myself for taking a chance on this brand. I was also told to investigate the lemon law. Now that is customer service for you! Kia is laughable.
By tgroh
on 05/19/11 10:30 AM (PDT)

on 05/18/11 08:14 AM (PDT) Thanks for the links; it looks like it's a TIRE issue, and I wonder if it is only Hankook. I have Kumho's on my Sonata. Here's is the "tire fix", from the other guy on the forum >>> As I suspected the problem does not lie in the design or engineering of the car. I used to have a 1984 BMW 733i which i restored and added 18inch rims and tires to. I remember the instant difference in performce going from 15's to 18's. I felt every little nook and cranny in the road and the car responded to every little jerk and turn of the steering wheel. Day one the car performed unbelievably. Towards the end of the tires' life i remembered having pulling issues and vibrations. This got me thinking about the tires and wheels on the 2011 Sonata. I did take my car to the dealer and they were basically clueless and just tried to zero and align everthing - unsuccesffully. When i contacted the service manager about the failure... he said that they wanted to install a new "special strut". This did not get me to excited, so I said, "I would do some research and bring the car in". Well I took a look around for success with the special strut... For the most part, people that took this option were commenting that they thought there was a "slight" improvement, but it was nothing to write home about as they still felt a "slight pull". Then I started researching tires pulling. I asked around with some of my mechanics about that. My primary mechanic said that it could be the tires as no two tires and wheels are equal. After about 6 hours of reading and studying I think I can now start a tire manufacturing business.... or if nothing else, write a book. I took the car to the dealer and requested that give me 4 new tires to take to my mechanic so he could install using his Road Force Balaning system (RFB). They informed me that they had one of those machines and could do it at the dealer. (not everyone has these they are like 20,000 for the machine.) Anyway, before they removed the old tires, I had them test all 4. 2 of the 4 were reported by the machine to be defective showing the error code "Belt tension inconsistancy - RECOMMEND REPLACEMENT"... The dealer threw those two tires out and replaced them and installed all 4 tires using the full balancer system. The RFB tested the wheels and tires and identified which tires to match to specific wheels. The RFB then indicated to the technician where to place them on the car. The car tracks perfectly down the road. On crown right roads it slooooowwly pulls right... on crown left roads it sloooooowly pulls left..... on flat roads or splitting the crown by putting the white line down the center of the car.. it tracks perfectly straight. If you want to verify my research do a google search for "RADIAL PULL TIRES" or "RADIAL STEER TIRES". also try my favorite... "HANKOOK TIRES PULL ".... You will find all sorts of complaints with the tires.... All in all, I am thrilled with my 2011 SONATA LIMITED 2.0T now that this problem is resolved. if you have any questions feel free to contact me. Thanks Mike B.

By gj1
on 05/14/11 18:41 PM (PDT)

Did they check alignment or the tires? I have had tires in the past that would do that. You can check this by switching you front tires from left to right. You would be surprised how much a tire can affect this.