Used 2011 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Gas Mileage only 21 mpg!!
By west209

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

When looking for a new car my wife and I were first looking at gas mileage. We like the Optima EX's panoramic sunroof, heated seats, and other aestitics. However, we were disappointed that the gas mileage was between 19-23 mpg, and we commute 40 miles RT. We do not travel fast and mostly drive freeway! After 1000 miles the dealer said it takes longer to break it in "6,000 miles". At just over 6,000 miles we scheduled a full service complaint: they found nothing and directed us to the "KIA Consumer Affairs Dept.". We have NEVER been treated so rude! "Angel" said, "Sorry! Too bad! Don't pay attention to EPA estimated MPG!!" We are stuck with a lemon! The WORSE customer service. Lawsuit!

Favorite Features

We love the car except for the gas mileage! When one makes a new car purchase gas mileage is a material consideration to its affordability or not! We could be driving a truck with this gas mileage! The sticker claims we should spend an estimated annual fuel cost of $1,665! No way! We are getting only about 65-70% of that!

Suggested Improvements

Honoring your advertising! False advertising is a major consumer relations issue! KIA needs to treat its customers in a way where they don't post these type of comments! The only recourse a customer has is to sue?!?! A consumer should not pay attention to gas mileage!? This car is a lemon!

Great car for anyone with realistic expectations
By titan415

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I'm always interested to see how people react to things. Some people drive this car and see it for what it is: a great value and a really good car. And then there are those to say that it's not a good car because they have driven, owned, or dreampt of better. You'll see plenty of those reviews here and other places. The reality is that this car is great for the money, offers a huge range of features, has a warranty that should allay any fears about the uknown, and, finally, it looks hot. It's not a perfect car, true. The wide c-pillar creates a blind spot, the engine isn't V6 smooth, and it's true that the seats aren't the best. But nits aside, this is a seriously good car.

Favorite Features

Love the looks--this styling will stand the test of time, unlike the Hyundai Sonata Quiet interior compared to most in this class Ride is controlled and taught. Yes, it doesn't float, so don't buy this car if you really want a flying couch like a Camry. Great set of features, but my absolute favorite is the USB input, which lets you play music from a thumb drive. Very, very cool. Fantastic value. Fully loaded this thing cost me less than my '03 Accord EX-L V6 did new.

Suggested Improvements

It's the same stuff everyone says: The steering really is numb. You don't notice it much on a standard test drive, but a windy road will show you what it's missing. Not a huge deal, but it does get in the way of the fun factor. The seats. You know, flat and a bit hard. The blind spot is a direct result of the styling, so that's no easy fix, but a blind spot sensor would be nice. Other than that . . . P.S. "Reliability" is a required field here, which is ridiculous for a new car review. I have around 300 miles on it at this point.

Awesome Value
By moola

2011 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've always thought Japan had a corner on midsize sedans until I drove Optima. I have to say it is the best value for the money. Although the 4 cyl is not as smooth as my Lexus 6, it is just as powerful. The car feels tight and fun to drive. I test drove a bunch of new models, but this one is a winner. P.S. I am in Chicago area and classic Kia in Waukegan is the best. Great dealership IMHO.

Favorite Features

Ergonomics, power,price,build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Get better commercials. More people should be aware that this car is better than Hyndai

Good Job KIA!
By sabz

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wow! Cannot believe the new Optimas comfort level, performance, and reliability. We traded our 04' Sedona in for this new 11' optima and am REALLY impressed with what an overall good reliable family sedan this is! Have taken 2 pretty long road trips so far in this and have put on nearly 10,000miles since purchased in December of '10. Has plenty of room for the kids in the back. Has no problem acceleration to speed while merging on to the highway, while being packed with a whole trunk of suitcases and 2 teenage kids in the back!

Favorite Features

Heated and Cooled seats are a god sent, and the heated steering wheel is sooo nice in those cold Wisconsin winter days. The kids love the heated rear seats, and the heating/cooling rear vents. The cooled glove box is nice for going on road trips. The LED gauges are so cool at night while driving. And I like how it tucks you in when you first get in the car, and slides back to position when the car is turned off.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are a little bit too firm, and the blue tooth wireless phone connect is sometimes really confusing, but yet a very handy option. Maybe for the '12 optima, could have standard LED high beams and or low beams.

Great Start...a few nitpicks
By flip00

2011 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Wow, Kia hit a home-run with the new Optima. Researched and then drove all the competitors in both 4 and 6 cylinder high end versions, and the Optima hands down was superior. had to wait almost 3 months to get mine, I had really just wanted an EX with the premium package...love those cooled seats in the hot El Paso sun, but have not regretted the SX. Have not experienced the pull to the left, and the car is as quiet as my former Accord EX-L on the road. A few quality issues with the sunglass holder and mood lighting not functioning on the passenger door and I do get have the rattle from the sunroof. getting an average of 24-28 in mixed driving in part due to elevation Would buy again!

Favorite Features

I love the look of the car, People are shocked when they see the KIA name plate, several thumbs-up from other drivers. Further for just $30K the car has features (panoramic sunroof, cooled/heated seats, Xenon self leveling lights touchscreen and voice activated electronics) only offered in cars (mostly with snobby names) costing $5K to $15K more. The powertrain is very smiooth with little turbo lag, so get decent fuel economy for day to day driving but great power when needed. With the Optima Kia appears to be at the same juncture Honda was back in 1987 with the Accord and CRX.

Suggested Improvements

Steering is a bit numb as reported, seats while not terrible could use more bolstering, also design has inherrent poor visability out of rear, while mirrors are large likely could benefit from electronic warning systems similar to what Mazada and others offer. placement of seat heat and cooling controls is poor (next to shifter on passengers side) Offfer a hot 6 speed manual version in the SX, auto is OK but its boring. Autolamps sensor too sensitive, lights come on almost an hour before dusk, not a big issue but Xenon replacments are expensive