Used 2011 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

don't drive it as you would drive Prius
By doryhan

2011 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My other (or previous) cars:
Ford Taurus V6
Chrysler PT-CRUISER I4
Cadillac DHS V8

I have owned and been driving Optima Hybrid (OH) for a month, filling up the tank twice.

MPG:
first tank 34.5MPG

second tank 35.5MPG
(99% city: the car computer indicates the average speed 22.2MPH)

At the beginning, I tried to drive the optima the way I would drive a Prius - slow acceleration, no sudden stops, obsessively use EV mode (or try to use). But that does not help you with MPG. (more talks continued
in "Suggested improvements")

Sleek, modern exterior design (with no excessive use of curves). Super quiet interior (ties larger cars from Cadillac). No wind noise at all. Average road noise, though. Great MPG: It is easy to top its official MPG. Of course, it totally depends on your driving style. MPG of Toyota hybrid cars tends to be much more stable (less depends on your driving style). Toyota hybrids, especially Prius, simply do not allow you to drive aggressively - is it good or bad? Great value: I think 2012 Camry hybrid has slightly better hybrid system than Optima does. However, you will have to pay extra $4~5000 for, otherwise, similar equipped car (with boring exterior design).

Interesting findings: Optima hybrid (OH) was equipped with 6 speed unlike Prius that has CVT. While accelerating, OH's electric motor rarely engage after the first speed. Once you reach over 40MPH, it starts to use 6th speed and EV mode starts to engage again. Do not stay at the speed range between 10-40mph (i.e., avoid to stay with 2~5 speeds) too long. You can accelerate pretty hard like you drive a car with V6 or V8, and that actually helps to achieve better MPG - isn't it interesting? This indicates that KIA needs to optimize/update the transmission software so that it can work better with EV while the car is running on its 2-5th speed.)

engine light--Vapor leak!!
By jm1522

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a brand fresh out of the factory 2011 Optima, which had to be returned to the dealership after 500miles for the engine light.
The service department said that the car had a faulty gas cap and make sure that we DO NOT top off at the gas pump.
200miles after the engine light was reset it came back on again.
This car has been into the dealership 5times for the engine light, each time the service dept says it is a vapor leak!!
If a car has been returned 5times for the same issue, apparently there is a real problem and just turning off the engine light DOES NOT fix the problem.

The gas mileage greatly suffers when the Engine light is on. After having to take it to another KIA dealership they found that the engine light code showed that the PURGE VALVE SENSOR failed in the car.

Love my KIA Optima!!
By sabz

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

It is a great looking car.
I get tons of compliments!!! People are always stopping me in parking lots and telling me how nice of a car it is.
I love to drive it.
However, the other day it would not start.
Turns out it had a problem with the brake switch.
KIA had it fixed and back to me the same day.
Also about 3 months of owning the car, I noticed that the radio screen was scrambled.
KIA replaced it under warranty. I would still recommend it!

I love the panoramic sun roof. The seats are incredibly comfortable. I love the heated steering wheel. As well as the heated and cooled front seats, and the kids love the heated rear seats seats! Wisconsin mornings are very cold!! I think it is a beautiful car. Mine is white with gray leather interior.

On the highway, the road noise is quite loud. We talked to the KIA dealership, and they said it was probably the Nexen tires.

MPG not even close
By td007

2011 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Normal driving you'll be lucky to get 19mpg. Thought with a range of 24-34 it would fall some place in between. Otherwise it is a fun car. With all the bells and whistles it is comparable to a car that costs $20k more.

Nice looking exterior and interior. Quick. Love all the extra features.

Do something so the engine doesn't sound so cheesy. Have the outside temperature on the mirror or someplace you can see it all times.

Nothing but problems
By kjanney

2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was so excited when I puchased my Kia Optima last June. However, that quickly changed. Two weeks after purchase, the turbo blew out while we were on vaction. It took forever to be fixed because parts on a new car were not readily avaiable. Once we got it back, the Turbo blew out AGAIN in less than a month.
Not to mention that the alignment has been out since I bought the car. The Turbo hasn't blown out since the 2nd failure, but the alignment continues to be out, even after multiple attempts to fix it. I'm tired of fighting the steering wheel to stay on the road.
The car looks slick, and has cool features, but I can't keep this one.
Looking for another car.

Heated/cooled seats, panoramic sunroof

Fix the alignment issues, and make sure that new cars are thoroughly tested so that major failures do not occur when the car is in the consumer's hands.