2011 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Gas Mileage only 21 mpg!!
By west209 on 11/24/11 23:50 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

When looking for a new car my wife and I were first looking at gas mileage. We like the Optima EX's panoramic sunroof, heated seats, and other aestitics. However, we were disappointed that the gas mileage was between 19-23 mpg, and we commute 40 miles RT. We do not travel fast and mostly drive freeway! After 1000 miles the dealer said it takes longer to break it in "6,000 miles". At just over 6,000 miles we scheduled a full service complaint: they found nothing and directed us to the "KIA Consumer Affairs Dept.". We have NEVER been treated so rude! "Angel" said, "Sorry! Too bad! Don't pay attention to EPA estimated MPG!!" We are stuck with a lemon! The WORSE customer service. Lawsuit!

Great car for anyone with realistic expectations
By titan415 on 11/02/11 17:45 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I'm always interested to see how people react to things. Some people drive this car and see it for what it is: a great value and a really good car. And then there are those to say that it's not a good car because they have driven, owned, or dreampt of better. You'll see plenty of those reviews here and other places. The reality is that this car is great for the money, offers a huge range of features, has a warranty that should allay any fears about the uknown, and, finally, it looks hot. It's not a perfect car, true. The wide c-pillar creates a blind spot, the engine isn't V6 smooth, and it's true that the seats aren't the best. But nits aside, this is a seriously good car.

Awesome Value
By moola on 10/25/11 19:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've always thought Japan had a corner on midsize sedans until I drove Optima. I have to say it is the best value for the money. Although the 4 cyl is not as smooth as my Lexus 6, it is just as powerful. The car feels tight and fun to drive. I test drove a bunch of new models, but this one is a winner. P.S. I am in Chicago area and classic Kia in Waukegan is the best. Great dealership IMHO.

Good Job KIA!
By sabz on 10/23/11 10:15 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wow! Cannot believe the new Optimas comfort level, performance, and reliability. We traded our 04' Sedona in for this new 11' optima and am REALLY impressed with what an overall good reliable family sedan this is! Have taken 2 pretty long road trips so far in this and have put on nearly 10,000miles since purchased in December of '10. Has plenty of room for the kids in the back. Has no problem acceleration to speed while merging on to the highway, while being packed with a whole trunk of suitcases and 2 teenage kids in the back!

Great Start...a few nitpicks
By flip00 on 10/18/11 07:27 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Wow, Kia hit a home-run with the new Optima. Researched and then drove all the competitors in both 4 and 6 cylinder high end versions, and the Optima hands down was superior. had to wait almost 3 months to get mine, I had really just wanted an EX with the premium package...love those cooled seats in the hot El Paso sun, but have not regretted the SX. Have not experienced the pull to the left, and the car is as quiet as my former Accord EX-L on the road. A few quality issues with the sunglass holder and mood lighting not functioning on the passenger door and I do get have the rattle from the sunroof. getting an average of 24-28 in mixed driving in part due to elevation Would buy again!

8000 Mile Review
By redbruin on 10/14/11 18:31 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I hit 8000 miles last week and still love this car. I came from a Lexus IS250 to the Optima turbo SX model and prefer driving this over the Lexus. It has more power and is more fun to drive. I get about 18-23 mpg in the city and 30-35 mpg highway. This is a mid $30K for a mid $20K price tag.

A nitpicker's review of the few bad things...
By race117 on 10/13/11 12:00 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

6mths 6k miles, SX getting 27mpg avg. Outside noises flood the cabin! Try driving this car on hwy in moderate rain & you will know what I'm talking about. The wheel wells have like a pourous industrial felt instead of a plastic liner, look at them before you buy. Drive though smoke/skunk/exhaust and pay the price as smells flood in. Sunroof bug/wind shield rattles (while closed) when you hit bumps. Ride rougher than expected & seats are somewhat uncomfortable. Side view mirrors hold water and fog easily. Windshield has a fogging problem I think is related to the cabin not being sealed well. Gas lock release works poorly. Backs of legs touch car getting out. Great car overall though.

best value
By rhamblen on 10/12/11 20:01 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Looks like a car costing thousands more. fit, feel and ride are outstanding. performance is exceptional. Optima has exceeded what I had even hoped for. KIA has a winner..

3rd updatre
By donnie71281 on 09/24/11 22:47 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've not got 4,000 miles on my EX-Turbo. I still love this care as much as the day i bought it. Not a single issue with the car. The turbo engine is fantastic. Fit and finish is great and this car is the favorite of all the cars i've ever owned. The only thing i would change is having just 1. (which may change)

unbelievably good value
By ssekdad on 09/15/11 11:23 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car in early July and drove from Chicago to Colorado and back in August so I already have almost 5000 miles on this car. I love almost everything about this car so my complaints are really nit picky. The city gas mileage isn't great (15-20) but we got almost 33 mpg on the trip to Colorado where we averaged over 70 mph. In Eco mode the transmission seems to downshift abruptly when you are decelerate. The routing on the GPS and the POI library isn't great so I am continuing to use my TomTom GPS unit. Other than that I am thrilled with the car. The workmanship is top notch, it's extremely roomy and comfortable, the panoramic sunroof makes it feel even more spacious.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Kia Optima in VA is:

$140 per month*