Used 2011 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

112,000+ miles and still going strong!
By mainecoast

2011 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I really love this car. The seating could be a little more comfortable, but my seat has pretty much conformed to me after all these miles. 6 speed manual is a lot of fun, I'm a big fan of standard transmissions. Passing on back roads is a breeze, plenty of power, that 200hp 4 cyl provides good power to weight ratio....just pop it down into 3rd step on it, and it goes...fast. I've hit what seems to be a rev limiter on occasion, and a top speed limiter in 6th because it ran out of steam at about 118 with what should have been plenty of room showing on the tach. Totally reliable. Tires, oil changes, trans. oil change. That's it. Brakes, plugs, serp. belt, radiator flush in spring.

Styling, 6 speed manual, Bluetooth. Great gas mileage on summer blend/in the summer-gets between 30-34 mpg on long trips, average is somewhere between 28-29. Winter blend and winter driving cuts the mpg down, usually about 2 mpg. Very stable car, well balanced.

Front seats.

2011 kia
By fmarie

2011 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Last week I bought a 2011 kia optima stick shift with 26,000 miles on it. It looked brand new and even smelled brand new. It is very spacious and luxurious on the inside and very classy, yet sporty on the outside. I have been disappointed in the gas mileage, I have been averaging about 26, 27 in city and on highway. The front seat is a slight uncomfortable because i cannot adjust the angle of the front seat. There is a blind spot on the right back passenger side. It seems a little jerky when going into first and second shift, but when the engine is running it is very quiet. It's a much bigger car than i realized at the purchase.

My favorite features are the body style. It is just beautiful and spacious on the inside. It is a very smooth and quiet ride.

be able to adjust the angle on the front seats...improve gas mileage if possible.

great car to own
By davey90

2011 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i have a 2011 optima
bought it brand new , car runs excellent it has a little over 47k miles on and i enjoy driving on a daily basis ,the mpg is outstanding , i took it from Albany upstate ny to long island and back upstate
on a single tank of gas i was surprised . the inside is done very well , i think the front seats are kinda uncomfortable, but the space is great for all passengers , best thing i love about it is it looks so sharp , after a good clean
i get compliments often on it appearance. definitely a good buy .

exterior looks sharp

front seats of slightly uncomfy , in winter let warm up first before driving .

Poor road mileage
By ernesto109

2011 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have had this car for two years and took it on the first road trip in January, 2013.
We drove 6500 miles to Florida and back to the west coast.
The average road mileage for the entire highway portion of the trip was 25.7mpg.
We checked each tank and the mileage ranged from 24.3 to 27.4.
However, the mileage shown on the car computer showed between four and five miles per gallon better that the actual calculations.
The car is rated at 34 mpg, so this was very disappointing.
The factory will do nothing about it, even though they have given compensation to other Kia model owners.
The dealer we purchased it from will not even acknowledge my complaint letter.

Overall, a good car for the money.

Add a height adjustment to the front passenger seat. Also, improve the sound insulation, as the car is very noisy on certain roads, and when it rains, you can hear the water splashing under the car and fenders. Extremely noisy on a gravel road.

The Optima ROCKS!
By lovemyoptima

2011 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My Optima is 1 year old - 22,000 miles - mostly interstate/highway.I'm still in love with this car! I'm confused by other posts about the poor gas mileage?I just took a trip from Boulder CO through the mountains (Hwy 285) down to northern NM and got an average of 32.5 MPG and just under 600 miles to the tank. Coming back, I got 550 miles to the tank or 29 mpg (had to climb more coming back).In town I'm getting 24.5-27 MPG.Until I took the plunge and bought a KIA I was a Toyota gal (Camry and Corolla owner and I loved them)...I will never go back to Toyota...they are totally boring to the core.The 2011 Kia is a quality car. It might not be a BMW or Audi but it's the closest I'm going to get!

Awesome gas mileage for this sedan size; plenty of power to climb steep mountain roads with ease; no issues driving on snow/ice (up to 12 inches of snow...haven't taken it out on unplowed roads with more than 12 inches of snow); beautiful inside/out - receive random compliments about the car at gas stations, etc.; love the leather seats/spacious, comfortable interior...no probs toting my son's full size cello around whether in trunk or back seat and we're a tall family - love the leg space; very quiet ride compared to my old camry and corolla; backseat air vent (don't have to freeze in the front seat just to cool the back seat folks);this car is FUN to drive. 22000 miles and not one problem.

I should have upgraded to get the power passenger seat (I have the power driver's seat). My elderly parents have trouble getting in and out of the car on the passenger side because the manual seat sits much lower than what it could if it was a power seat. I would have also enjoyed a higher quality stereo/speakers - we still enjoy our music in this car but the stereo/speaker quality is lacking slightly on the EX base model.