2011 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
don't drive it as you would drive Prius
By doryhan on 03/16/12 14:28 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My other (or previous) cars: Ford Taurus V6 Chrysler PT-CRUISER I4 Cadillac DHS V8 I have owned and been driving Optima Hybrid (OH) for a month, filling up the tank twice. MPG: first tank 34.5MPG second tank 35.5MPG (99% city: the car computer indicates the average speed 22.2MPH) At the beginning, I tried to drive the optima the way I would drive a Prius - slow acceleration, no sudden stops, obsessively use EV mode (or try to use). But that does not help you with MPG. (more talks continued in "Suggested improvements")

engine light--Vapor leak!!
By jm1522 on 03/14/12 06:59 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a brand fresh out of the factory 2011 Optima, which had to be returned to the dealership after 500miles for the engine light. The service department said that the car had a faulty gas cap and make sure that we DO NOT top off at the gas pump. 200miles after the engine light was reset it came back on again. This car has been into the dealership 5times for the engine light, each time the service dept says it is a vapor leak!! If a car has been returned 5times for the same issue, apparently there is a real problem and just turning off the engine light DOES NOT fix the problem.

Love my KIA Optima!!
By sabz on 03/04/12 15:12 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

It is a great looking car. I get tons of compliments!!! People are always stopping me in parking lots and telling me how nice of a car it is. I love to drive it. However, the other day it would not start. Turns out it had a problem with the brake switch. KIA had it fixed and back to me the same day. Also about 3 months of owning the car, I noticed that the radio screen was scrambled. KIA replaced it under warranty. I would still recommend it!

MPG not even close
By td007 on 02/22/12 11:54 AM (PST)

2011 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Normal driving you'll be lucky to get 19mpg. Thought with a range of 24-34 it would fall some place in between. Otherwise it is a fun car. With all the bells and whistles it is comparable to a car that costs $20k more.

Nothing but problems
By kjanney on 02/20/12 08:26 AM (PST)

2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was so excited when I puchased my Kia Optima last June. However, that quickly changed. Two weeks after purchase, the turbo blew out while we were on vaction. It took forever to be fixed because parts on a new car were not readily avaiable. Once we got it back, the Turbo blew out AGAIN in less than a month. Not to mention that the alignment has been out since I bought the car. The Turbo hasn't blown out since the 2nd failure, but the alignment continues to be out, even after multiple attempts to fix it. I'm tired of fighting the steering wheel to stay on the road. The car looks slick, and has cool features, but I can't keep this one. Looking for another car.

7 months / 14,000 miles
By we_will_see on 01/28/12 19:05 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have had my Optima EX turbo/loaded for 7 mo. now and have driven over 14,000 miles. Still like this care very much, I live in NE Ohio and it drives great in the snow. Had to drive through a snow storm in Indiana on my way home from Chicago and it handled great on the highway. Love the heated seats and steering wheel, great on those cold mornings. Defrost works fast & well, as does the rear defrost/mirror heaters. Handling & performance are excellent, very sure footed. Transmission is great also. Love the nav/blue tooth/voice activation etc. Every thing is really easy to use. My only complaint would be the stiff seat but heard they fixed in 2012 models. Overall great car!

It is cool, not expensive and.....it is a hybrid!!!!!!!!
By luisguido on 12/19/11 18:07 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I am a Hybrid guy (previously owned a Prius, then a Camry, the a Fusion and finally an Insight (I average 28000 miles per year). I bought my Optima Hybrid three weeks ago and I already drove 2,765 miles. Guys with this car you can have all of the above: the Camry comfort, the Fusion solidity, the Insight low price, and if you drive your Optima Hybrid by placing an egg between you foot and the accelerator, you can get 32/38/43 miles per gallon - trust me, I get that all the time.

How could I
By slownomore on 12/03/11 13:34 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I never thought I would leave the US market but when kia came out with the new design on the optima I said I want that car.So far I have no regrets on buying my 2011 optima even though I have the LX with automatic and conv.package upgrades I love this car.With my bad driving habits I still get 30mpg.The 2.4 liter has plenty of power for me.The ride is nice and fairly quiet.I like the new design inside and out

Excellent Value
By takmac on 12/03/11 06:12 AM (PST)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My Optima EX 2011 was purchased in Indy about 4 mo ago. My original dream was a 4 yr old Lexus ES350, but after a lot of looking, comparing and driving all of the alternatives, I finally decided on the Optima for its value, long warranty, options and comfort. For what I would have paid for an upscale used car, I got a ton of great options. Mine is loaded; love the panoramic roof, heated and cooled seats, Nav, and engine. The Infinity stereo is awesome. Fit and finish is excellent. I like it much better than my siblings Fusion and Taurus. The rear-seat entry is way better than the Fords, and trunk space is more than sufficient. Ride is very good, engine quiet and road noise is acceptable.

Gas Mileage only 21 mpg!!
By west209 on 11/24/11 23:50 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

When looking for a new car my wife and I were first looking at gas mileage. We like the Optima EX's panoramic sunroof, heated seats, and other aestitics. However, we were disappointed that the gas mileage was between 19-23 mpg, and we commute 40 miles RT. We do not travel fast and mostly drive freeway! After 1000 miles the dealer said it takes longer to break it in "6,000 miles". At just over 6,000 miles we scheduled a full service complaint: they found nothing and directed us to the "KIA Consumer Affairs Dept.". We have NEVER been treated so rude! "Angel" said, "Sorry! Too bad! Don't pay attention to EPA estimated MPG!!" We are stuck with a lemon! The WORSE customer service. Lawsuit!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Kia Optima in VA is:

$140 per month*