Used 2011 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Bad to the bone.
By snowman22

2011 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My 2011 Kia hybrid is now just a bad memory. The hybrid system is nothing short of dangerous. Push the pedal and it would not go. Lots of fun when pulling into traffic. Jerked,hesitate and just awful to drive. Did I mention unsafe. Also seats as hard as bleachers at the ball park. Just horrible. No padding at all. Last---no resale. The Kia dealer would not even take it in on trade. They can't even get rid of it. They offer the lowest auction price. Dirt bottom. So stay away from these vehicles. You will regret the purchase. Don't believe the bull of---we now have the update fit. Not true---just as bad. These cars are a accident waiting to happen. Just Remember--DANGEROUS TO DRIVE.

Favorite Features

Has good looks.But wolf in sheeps clothing.

Suggested Improvements

All new hybrid system needed or discontinue.

Poor road mileage
By ernesto109

2011 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have had this car for two years and took it on the first road trip in January, 2013. We drove 6500 miles to Florida and back to the west coast. The average road mileage for the entire highway portion of the trip was 25.7mpg. We checked each tank and the mileage ranged from 24.3 to 27.4. However, the mileage shown on the car computer showed between four and five miles per gallon better that the actual calculations. The car is rated at 34 mpg, so this was very disappointing. The factory will do nothing about it, even though they have given compensation to other Kia model owners. The dealer we purchased it from will not even acknowledge my complaint letter.

Favorite Features

Overall, a good car for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Add a height adjustment to the front passenger seat. Also, improve the sound insulation, as the car is very noisy on certain roads, and when it rains, you can hear the water splashing under the car and fenders. Extremely noisy on a gravel road.

The Optima ROCKS!
By lovemyoptima

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My Optima is 1 year old - 22,000 miles - mostly interstate/highway.I'm still in love with this car! I'm confused by other posts about the poor gas mileage?I just took a trip from Boulder CO through the mountains (Hwy 285) down to northern NM and got an average of 32.5 MPG and just under 600 miles to the tank. Coming back, I got 550 miles to the tank or 29 mpg (had to climb more coming back).In town I'm getting 24.5-27 MPG.Until I took the plunge and bought a KIA I was a Toyota gal (Camry and Corolla owner and I loved them)...I will never go back to Toyota...they are totally boring to the core.The 2011 Kia is a quality car. It might not be a BMW or Audi but it's the closest I'm going to get!

Favorite Features

Awesome gas mileage for this sedan size; plenty of power to climb steep mountain roads with ease; no issues driving on snow/ice (up to 12 inches of snow...haven't taken it out on unplowed roads with more than 12 inches of snow); beautiful inside/out - receive random compliments about the car at gas stations, etc.; love the leather seats/spacious, comfortable interior...no probs toting my son's full size cello around whether in trunk or back seat and we're a tall family - love the leg space; very quiet ride compared to my old camry and corolla; backseat air vent (don't have to freeze in the front seat just to cool the back seat folks);this car is FUN to drive. 22000 miles and not one problem.

Suggested Improvements

I should have upgraded to get the power passenger seat (I have the power driver's seat). My elderly parents have trouble getting in and out of the car on the passenger side because the manual seat sits much lower than what it could if it was a power seat. I would have also enjoyed a higher quality stereo/speakers - we still enjoy our music in this car but the stereo/speaker quality is lacking slightly on the EX base model.

Great Car Very Poor Mileage
By ischreiber

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car because I thought it was beautiful and still do. I t comes with great features for the money and is very distinctive. The one big problem I have is the mileage. I get about 17-19 in the city and about 26 on the highway. The estimate they advertise is 24 City 35 Highway. What is particularly disturbing is the response/lack of response from either the dealer or KIA customer service. The dealer did a fuel economy test on the car and came up with combined city/hwy of 22.5 mpg a far cry from the advertised mpg. I am totally frustrated with KIA. I previously owned an accord EXL and will probably go back to them next time I buy.

Favorite Features

backup camera

Suggested Improvements

Live up to Mileage expectations

3rd update
By donnie71281

2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've now had my EX-Turbo for 13 months. Just hit 8,000 miles. I still love the car as much as I did the day I got it. Not had a single problem with the car. I have no complaints with the fuel economy at all. Yes, the Nexen tires are noisy, but once those are changed the car is extremely quiet. Makes our Accord sound like a wind tunnel. I would buy this car all over again. No regrets.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Better stock tires would be a good thing.