Used 2011 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Most Helpful|
Automatic Transmission Failure at 3600 Miles
By ghostrider1017

2011 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

On 4/11/11, we were driving to work and had gone four miles from our house, when we thought we had hit a deer. The car made a very loud sound and lurched violently, at highway speed, frightening us both. The lurching was so violent that it may well have caused other damage. We were extremely fortunate not to have crashed. We then found that the car would not shift gears. The automatic transmission had gone out of our 2011 Kia Optima EX. We bought the Kia new on 1/8/11. The car had 3600 miles on it at the time of the catastrophic failure. This was our first Kia purchase (and last, I might add), and we are very disappointed. Needless to say, we were shocked by this dangerous occurrenc

Favorite Features

Until the major pre-mature failure, we really liked the car.

Suggested Improvements

KIA needs to do more that repair a brand new vehicle when such a major failure happens with a brand new car.

BEWARE of the left pull!!
By jfogs

2011 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased brand new 2011 Kia Optima from Nationwide Kia in Timonium MD. Car was defective off the lot with a marked left pull that requires constant pressure on the wheel to keep the car from flying off the road. DO NOT believe the dealer if they say they can fix the car. This is a known defect with many Optima's and their kissing cousin Sonata's. I was told there is "nothing else we can do and your car still pulls to the left" from their "service" tech. I have lemon with 800 miles on it - great.

Favorite Features

The automatic lane change to the left feature

Suggested Improvements

Fix the dangerous pull to the left and take ownership of this well known problem.

Left Pull - Update after talking to Kia
By jfogs

2011 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

So apparently after placing a complaint to Kia I was informed that there is nothing that they can do with regards to the left pull issue. My customer service Rep Randy informed me that "this is the way the car was built" and that there is nothing they could do. So my question was "So you are telling me that the car was built to change lanes by itself creating a danger to me and my family?" Needless to say I really didn't get an answer. IWas considering getting a Kia Sorrento for my wife. I will NEVER buy another Kia product again and am kicking myself for taking a chance on this brand. I was also told to investigate the lemon law. Now that is customer service for you! Kia is laughable.

Gas Mileage only 21 mpg!!
By west209

2011 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

When looking for a new car my wife and I were first looking at gas mileage. We like the Optima EX's panoramic sunroof, heated seats, and other aestitics. However, we were disappointed that the gas mileage was between 19-23 mpg, and we commute 40 miles RT. We do not travel fast and mostly drive freeway! After 1000 miles the dealer said it takes longer to break it in "6,000 miles". At just over 6,000 miles we scheduled a full service complaint: they found nothing and directed us to the "KIA Consumer Affairs Dept.". We have NEVER been treated so rude! "Angel" said, "Sorry! Too bad! Don't pay attention to EPA estimated MPG!!" We are stuck with a lemon! The WORSE customer service. Lawsuit!

Favorite Features

We love the car except for the gas mileage! When one makes a new car purchase gas mileage is a material consideration to its affordability or not! We could be driving a truck with this gas mileage! The sticker claims we should spend an estimated annual fuel cost of $1,665! No way! We are getting only about 65-70% of that!

Suggested Improvements

Honoring your advertising! False advertising is a major consumer relations issue! KIA needs to treat its customers in a way where they don't post these type of comments! The only recourse a customer has is to sue?!?! A consumer should not pay attention to gas mileage!? This car is a lemon!

Nothing but problems
By kjanney

2011 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was so excited when I puchased my Kia Optima last June. However, that quickly changed. Two weeks after purchase, the turbo blew out while we were on vaction. It took forever to be fixed because parts on a new car were not readily avaiable. Once we got it back, the Turbo blew out AGAIN in less than a month. Not to mention that the alignment has been out since I bought the car. The Turbo hasn't blown out since the 2nd failure, but the alignment continues to be out, even after multiple attempts to fix it. I'm tired of fighting the steering wheel to stay on the road. The car looks slick, and has cool features, but I can't keep this one. Looking for another car.

Favorite Features

Heated/cooled seats, panoramic sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Fix the alignment issues, and make sure that new cars are thoroughly tested so that major failures do not occur when the car is in the consumer's hands.