2011 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
EX fully loaded is an awesome car
By boneyard1 on 09/24/14 09:23 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Currently reviewing the 2011 Optima EX with 66,000 miles. I wouldn't like the car nearly as much with the LX package or even without the tech or premium packages, but when loaded with those options, this is a great ride and tremendous value! Drives great, plenty of power when needed, and great highway gas mileage. I usually only get 24-25mpg when city driving, but easily get over 30mpg on any kind of road trip. I've had no issues mechanically. Love the upgrades that are available on this car and it looks/feels like a car twice its price. Plenty of room in the backseat for adults and also children in car seats.

50k+ and zero issues
By deeper on 07/07/14 11:12 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Car has shown no wear on leather seats or elsewhere. No squeeks. No issues. My Lexus LS430 had more problems at this mileage and mention this because at 1/2 the price makes Kia Optima a compelling used car buy.

112,000+ miles and still going strong!
By mainecoast on 02/06/14 21:23 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I really love this car. The seating could be a little more comfortable, but my seat has pretty much conformed to me after all these miles. 6 speed manual is a lot of fun, I'm a big fan of standard transmissions. Passing on back roads is a breeze, plenty of power, that 200hp 4 cyl provides good power to weight ratio....just pop it down into 3rd step on it, and it goes...fast. I've hit what seems to be a rev limiter on occasion, and a top speed limiter in 6th because it ran out of steam at about 118 with what should have been plenty of room showing on the tach. Totally reliable. Tires, oil changes, trans. oil change. That's it. Brakes, plugs, serp. belt, radiator flush in spring.

2011 kia
By fmarie on 01/23/14 22:21 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Last week I bought a 2011 kia optima stick shift with 26,000 miles on it. It looked brand new and even smelled brand new. It is very spacious and luxurious on the inside and very classy, yet sporty on the outside. I have been disappointed in the gas mileage, I have been averaging about 26, 27 in city and on highway. The front seat is a slight uncomfortable because i cannot adjust the angle of the front seat. There is a blind spot on the right back passenger side. It seems a little jerky when going into first and second shift, but when the engine is running it is very quiet. It's a much bigger car than i realized at the purchase.

great car to own
By davey90 on 08/17/13 23:16 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i have a 2011 optima bought it brand new , car runs excellent it has a little over 47k miles on and i enjoy driving on a daily basis ,the mpg is outstanding , i took it from Albany upstate ny to long island and back upstate on a single tank of gas i was surprised . the inside is done very well , i think the front seats are kinda uncomfortable, but the space is great for all passengers , best thing i love about it is it looks so sharp , after a good clean i get compliments often on it appearance. definitely a good buy .

Bad to the bone.
By snowman22 on 07/28/13 10:08 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My 2011 Kia hybrid is now just a bad memory. The hybrid system is nothing short of dangerous. Push the pedal and it would not go. Lots of fun when pulling into traffic. Jerked,hesitate and just awful to drive. Did I mention unsafe. Also seats as hard as bleachers at the ball park. Just horrible. No padding at all. Last---no resale. The Kia dealer would not even take it in on trade. They can't even get rid of it. They offer the lowest auction price. Dirt bottom. So stay away from these vehicles. You will regret the purchase. Don't believe the bull of---we now have the update fit. Not true---just as bad. These cars are a accident waiting to happen. Just Remember--DANGEROUS TO DRIVE.

Poor road mileage
By ernesto109 on 06/16/13 14:22 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have had this car for two years and took it on the first road trip in January, 2013. We drove 6500 miles to Florida and back to the west coast. The average road mileage for the entire highway portion of the trip was 25.7mpg. We checked each tank and the mileage ranged from 24.3 to 27.4. However, the mileage shown on the car computer showed between four and five miles per gallon better that the actual calculations. The car is rated at 34 mpg, so this was very disappointing. The factory will do nothing about it, even though they have given compensation to other Kia model owners. The dealer we purchased it from will not even acknowledge my complaint letter.

The Optima ROCKS!
By lovemyoptima on 07/09/12 18:10 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My Optima is 1 year old - 22,000 miles - mostly interstate/highway.I'm still in love with this car! I'm confused by other posts about the poor gas mileage?I just took a trip from Boulder CO through the mountains (Hwy 285) down to northern NM and got an average of 32.5 MPG and just under 600 miles to the tank. Coming back, I got 550 miles to the tank or 29 mpg (had to climb more coming back).In town I'm getting 24.5-27 MPG.Until I took the plunge and bought a KIA I was a Toyota gal (Camry and Corolla owner and I loved them)...I will never go back to Toyota...they are totally boring to the core.The 2011 Kia is a quality car. It might not be a BMW or Audi but it's the closest I'm going to get!

Great Car Very Poor Mileage
By ischreiber on 06/28/12 11:24 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car because I thought it was beautiful and still do. I t comes with great features for the money and is very distinctive. The one big problem I have is the mileage. I get about 17-19 in the city and about 26 on the highway. The estimate they advertise is 24 City 35 Highway. What is particularly disturbing is the response/lack of response from either the dealer or KIA customer service. The dealer did a fuel economy test on the car and came up with combined city/hwy of 22.5 mpg a far cry from the advertised mpg. I am totally frustrated with KIA. I previously owned an accord EXL and will probably go back to them next time I buy.

3rd update
By donnie71281 on 05/05/12 21:29 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've now had my EX-Turbo for 13 months. Just hit 8,000 miles. I still love the car as much as I did the day I got it. Not had a single problem with the car. I have no complaints with the fuel economy at all. Yes, the Nexen tires are noisy, but once those are changed the car is extremely quiet. Makes our Accord sound like a wind tunnel. I would buy this car all over again. No regrets.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Kia Optima in VA is:

$140 per month*