Used 2009 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2009 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

First and last import
By tielbor

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We were looking for a decent, mid-sized car and settled on the Optima. We purchased the car used(two years old), with 40,000 miles on it. The car served us well for the first year and a half with only a few small issues. As soon as the warranty expired at 60,000 miles, the transmission failed. Two weeks after replacing the transmission($2700), the air bag sensor in the passenger seat failed ($1500). After the sensor, a host of electrical problems surfaced. Since the car cost us more in repairs in than it was worth over a year, we sold it and won't touch another KIA.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, peppy and fuel efficient engine.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control. Cars should not fall apart at 60,000 miles. Also, dealer service. The dealer tried to blame us for any and all problems the vehicle had. They told us the transmission fluid was low, causing failure and that we dumped a lot of water on the seat to cause the air bag sensor to fail. Corporate customer relations were no better. I never had such bad interaction with any manufacturer before and I have owned many makes and models of vehicles before the KIA.

Transmission
By dholder35

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

KIA needs to make a better transmission. This is the second Kia Optima I have owned and the transmission always seems to go out. The service department will always say you need a transmission flush, but then after the warranty runs out the transmission will quit working and I have to pay for the transmission to be replaced. When I apply my brakes the transmission will down shift hard.

Favorite Features

Ease of handling. Corners like its on rails.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission

KIA OPTIMA POOR
By rtoothman

2009 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Car codes every spring return to dealership they clear code[multiple misfires] runs fine after several restarts, and say they cant find whats wrong with engine 2.7 V6 which they no longer offer in Optima.The vehicle has had this issue since 10,000 miles and only has 49,000 as of 2013.Dealership or KIA problem?????Rhorman's of FT Wayne In.

Favorite Features

nice interior,and plenty of air bags

Suggested Improvements

Costumer Service.

KIA Optima needs improvement on transmissions
By csaylors

2009 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2009 KIA Optima for three years now and had to replace the transmission once already and it is in the shop again (not even a year later) with the same problem. I don't know if this is a problem everyone has or if I bought a lemon. The built in Bluetooth had some problems as well. I just had to quit using it. The headrest is not comfortable at all. But it handles well and it is fun to drive. It gets good gas mileage and that's what we needed at the time.

Favorite Features

Has a lot of trunk space and the seats for down for extra space when needed. Good stereo and has plenty of leg room

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve the quality of there transmissions! Design a more comfortable headrest put in better quality Bluetooth system

Very First Foreign Car!
By swineheart

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Ive always owned American cars, I am a Vet and felt bad about not supporting American auto makers. I've owned Chevys, Fords and Olds. I Love my KIA Optima! I bought it due to the cost of gas and the options on the car. For the money, you cant go wrong. It has a high safety rating, roomy interior, good stereo options and best of all great EPA rating for a midsize sedan. It's comfortable on the highway and zips around town. If you are in the market for a sedan that's affordable and still fun to drive, I highly recommend the Optima.

Suggested Improvements

My only con is the feel of the gas pedal. The disc brakes are great but the gas pedal jumps with just a light touch. It takes some getting used to.