2009 Kia Optima LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2009 Optima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Sort Reviews by

First and last import
By tielbor

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We were looking for a decent, mid-sized car and settled on the Optima. We purchased the car used(two years old), with 40,000 miles on it. The car served us well for the first year and a half with only a few small issues. As soon as the warranty expired at 60,000 miles, the transmission failed. Two weeks after replacing the transmission($2700), the air bag sensor in the passenger seat failed ($1500). After the sensor, a host of electrical problems surfaced. Since the car cost us more in repairs in than it was worth over a year, we sold it and won't touch another KIA.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, peppy and fuel efficient engine.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control. Cars should not fall apart at 60,000 miles. Also, dealer service. The dealer tried to blame us for any and all problems the vehicle had. They told us the transmission fluid was low, causing failure and that we dumped a lot of water on the seat to cause the air bag sensor to fail. Corporate customer relations were no better. I never had such bad interaction with any manufacturer before and I have owned many makes and models of vehicles before the KIA.

Transmission
By dholder35

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

KIA needs to make a better transmission. This is the second Kia Optima I have owned and the transmission always seems to go out. The service department will always say you need a transmission flush, but then after the warranty runs out the transmission will quit working and I have to pay for the transmission to be replaced. When I apply my brakes the transmission will down shift hard.

Favorite Features

Ease of handling. Corners like its on rails.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission

KIA OPTIMA POOR
By rtoothman

2009 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Car codes every spring return to dealership they clear code[multiple misfires] runs fine after several restarts, and say they cant find whats wrong with engine 2.7 V6 which they no longer offer in Optima.The vehicle has had this issue since 10,000 miles and only has 49,000 as of 2013.Dealership or KIA problem?????Rhorman's of FT Wayne In.

Favorite Features

nice interior,and plenty of air bags

Suggested Improvements

Costumer Service.

KIA Optima needs improvement on transmissions
By csaylors

2009 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2009 KIA Optima for three years now and had to replace the transmission once already and it is in the shop again (not even a year later) with the same problem. I don't know if this is a problem everyone has or if I bought a lemon. The built in Bluetooth had some problems as well. I just had to quit using it. The headrest is not comfortable at all. But it handles well and it is fun to drive. It gets good gas mileage and that's what we needed at the time.

Favorite Features

Has a lot of trunk space and the seats for down for extra space when needed. Good stereo and has plenty of leg room

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve the quality of there transmissions! Design a more comfortable headrest put in better quality Bluetooth system

Very First Foreign Car!
By swineheart

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Ive always owned American cars, I am a Vet and felt bad about not supporting American auto makers. I've owned Chevys, Fords and Olds. I Love my KIA Optima! I bought it due to the cost of gas and the options on the car. For the money, you cant go wrong. It has a high safety rating, roomy interior, good stereo options and best of all great EPA rating for a midsize sedan. It's comfortable on the highway and zips around town. If you are in the market for a sedan that's affordable and still fun to drive, I highly recommend the Optima.

Suggested Improvements

My only con is the feel of the gas pedal. The disc brakes are great but the gas pedal jumps with just a light touch. It takes some getting used to.

Yes, I bought a KIA
By donald09

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My wife and I have only had our Optima for a couple of days. It is everything that the data says it is. We took it out for a fun run to see how it performs. We put on 140 miles and used approximately 4 gallons, 35 MPG. I couldn't get the wife to quit playing with the SAT radio, she loves it. I felt it was easy to handle in a curve, the visibility was great, the instruments were easy to read and access.

Favorite Features

The SAT radio for the wife. The MPG for me. We both love the color Red.

Second car, Love it!
By carmansam22

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great Car! Bought it Oct. 11, 2010. Haven't had any problems with the car. It's the first 5 speed I've owned and I love it. It's pretty quick and fast, I can downshift to third and pass cars with no problem. I once had a loaded car (at least 800ibs extra weight), driving up steep hills and still got 25MPG. I feel I got a lot for what I paid, just a little over 12,000.

Favorite Features

Manual!! XM radio, aux and iPod input, LOTS of leg room in the back seat. I'm 6' feet tall with long legs and drive with my seat far back, and there is still plenty of room behind me. Lots of trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

No cruise control, no remote entry, steel wheels (just how it came. Want to get alloy.), even for 175hp it still seems a little slow to accelerate. What's odd was my 2006 Honda accord, same size engine with 166hp and about the same weight was so much quicker. But I guess that's a Honda for you. It's still a fast car noon the less, just not so much in 1st and 2nd.

Good Choice
By 1st Time Kia Owner

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Traded in a gas hogging Ford Windstar. It served us well for 8 yrs. but it started to have electrical problems at 90K miles. I told the wife that I was going to buy her an import this time because everybody knows they are more reliable, last longer, and you generally get a fair trade in value. I took a long time shopping on the internet and this Kia Optima was by far the best value for the money. As others have stated the standard equip. is very generous. But that was not the main reason I purchased this vehicle. It was safety. Here's a quote from the carconnection.com: " When it comes to crash-test ratings, you won't find many better than that of the Kia Optima's. 10/10 crash test."

Favorite Features

Interior/Exterior styling. Headlight beam (Both high & low) is very good. Steering wheel controls, Roomy engine compartment. Easy access to everything. Manual driver's seat height adjustment, which you normally only find with power seats.

Suggested Improvements

Auto trans. shift lever travel is ridiculous. I realize they design it that way for safety but going from left to right then left again just to shift from drive to park is totally unnecessary. If you have a problem with accidentally bumping the transmission shifter than maybe you should take the bus.

Surprised!
By Mary

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Never thought I'd be owning a KIA! Having grown up w/muscle cars and graduating into US model high end, fully loaded cars, I never thought. Had this car only one day but thoroughly enjoy it. Husband likes it too, so it's not just a "girl" car. It's fun to drive, gas mileage is great, and my dealership's service is outstanding to the point of agreeing to replace head light assemblies that were strangely scratched, to the tune of $800 THEIR cost! Salesman was great, got financial approval in 5 min. and look forward each day to driving my Kia somewhere! Oh, the price I got for a fully loaded car was nothing short of amazing, too. Great job Keffer Kia, Mooresville, NC!

Favorite Features

ride, steering wheel controls, fully loaded, one year old, lots of warranty left, Sirius sat. system, more.

Suggested Improvements

Without exception, softer seats! Add power to them, too.

Great Car for the money!!
By Dave

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

1st car I have owned in a while (former truck owner) and it is a nice surprise. I like everything about my Kia and am really surprised on how well it drives aon the highway. Highly recommend it!!!

Favorite Features

steering wheel controls

Suggested Improvements

standard fog lights!!