2009 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
First and last import
By tielbor on 09/12/13 19:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We were looking for a decent, mid-sized car and settled on the Optima. We purchased the car used(two years old), with 40,000 miles on it. The car served us well for the first year and a half with only a few small issues. As soon as the warranty expired at 60,000 miles, the transmission failed. Two weeks after replacing the transmission($2700), the air bag sensor in the passenger seat failed ($1500). After the sensor, a host of electrical problems surfaced. Since the car cost us more in repairs in than it was worth over a year, we sold it and won't touch another KIA.

Transmission
By dholder35 on 04/27/13 06:04 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

KIA needs to make a better transmission. This is the second Kia Optima I have owned and the transmission always seems to go out. The service department will always say you need a transmission flush, but then after the warranty runs out the transmission will quit working and I have to pay for the transmission to be replaced. When I apply my brakes the transmission will down shift hard.

KIA OPTIMA POOR
By rtoothman on 04/22/13 06:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Car codes every spring return to dealership they clear code[multiple misfires] runs fine after several restarts, and say they cant find whats wrong with engine 2.7 V6 which they no longer offer in Optima.The vehicle has had this issue since 10,000 miles and only has 49,000 as of 2013.Dealership or KIA problem?????Rhorman's of FT Wayne In.

KIA Optima needs improvement on transmissions
By csaylors on 06/05/12 05:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2009 KIA Optima for three years now and had to replace the transmission once already and it is in the shop again (not even a year later) with the same problem. I don't know if this is a problem everyone has or if I bought a lemon. The built in Bluetooth had some problems as well. I just had to quit using it. The headrest is not comfortable at all. But it handles well and it is fun to drive. It gets good gas mileage and that's what we needed at the time.

Very First Foreign Car!
By swineheart on 03/29/12 15:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Ive always owned American cars, I am a Vet and felt bad about not supporting American auto makers. I've owned Chevys, Fords and Olds. I Love my KIA Optima! I bought it due to the cost of gas and the options on the car. For the money, you cant go wrong. It has a high safety rating, roomy interior, good stereo options and best of all great EPA rating for a midsize sedan. It's comfortable on the highway and zips around town. If you are in the market for a sedan that's affordable and still fun to drive, I highly recommend the Optima.

Yes, I bought a KIA
By donald09 on 09/26/11 19:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My wife and I have only had our Optima for a couple of days. It is everything that the data says it is. We took it out for a fun run to see how it performs. We put on 140 miles and used approximately 4 gallons, 35 MPG. I couldn't get the wife to quit playing with the SAT radio, she loves it. I felt it was easy to handle in a curve, the visibility was great, the instruments were easy to read and access.

Second car, Love it!
By carmansam22 on 09/24/11 20:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great Car! Bought it Oct. 11, 2010. Haven't had any problems with the car. It's the first 5 speed I've owned and I love it. It's pretty quick and fast, I can downshift to third and pass cars with no problem. I once had a loaded car (at least 800ibs extra weight), driving up steep hills and still got 25MPG. I feel I got a lot for what I paid, just a little over 12,000.

Good Choice
By 1st Time Kia Owner on 07/27/10 00:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Traded in a gas hogging Ford Windstar. It served us well for 8 yrs. but it started to have electrical problems at 90K miles. I told the wife that I was going to buy her an import this time because everybody knows they are more reliable, last longer, and you generally get a fair trade in value. I took a long time shopping on the internet and this Kia Optima was by far the best value for the money. As others have stated the standard equip. is very generous. But that was not the main reason I purchased this vehicle. It was safety. Here's a quote from the carconnection.com: " When it comes to crash-test ratings, you won't find many better than that of the Kia Optima's. 10/10 crash test."

Surprised!
By Mary on 07/02/10 16:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Never thought I'd be owning a KIA! Having grown up w/muscle cars and graduating into US model high end, fully loaded cars, I never thought. Had this car only one day but thoroughly enjoy it. Husband likes it too, so it's not just a "girl" car. It's fun to drive, gas mileage is great, and my dealership's service is outstanding to the point of agreeing to replace head light assemblies that were strangely scratched, to the tune of $800 THEIR cost! Salesman was great, got financial approval in 5 min. and look forward each day to driving my Kia somewhere! Oh, the price I got for a fully loaded car was nothing short of amazing, too. Great job Keffer Kia, Mooresville, NC!

Great Car for the money!!
By Dave on 05/10/10 12:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

1st car I have owned in a while (former truck owner) and it is a nice surprise. I like everything about my Kia and am really surprised on how well it drives aon the highway. Highly recommend it!!!

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Kia Optima in VA is:

$125 per month*