Used 2008 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

OPTIMA
By ron

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Took it home and took it right back the next morning. It came off the truck with a bad alignment. Pulled to the right. It took about 6-8 days to fix. I asked where is my car? Oh it's at Nissan. What Nissan? yeah, they have the alignment machine. I'm like why don't the kia dealer have the equipment necessary to support the warranty? The salesmen asked me do I know how much that cost like i cared. The car has been great since i got it back. 1800 mi now. Took the family to Bolxi, MS and it did fine. Gas mileage great compared to my 6.0 L silverado. With $3000 cash back i walked out the door for LX model $14,600

Favorite Features

Tight shocks and cold AC good sound system

Suggested Improvements

Afraid Kia may not fix any problem that may occur without haggle. Cheap gray seat cloth. Cheap interior door handles.

Great little car for the downsizer
By bumpergirl

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned the 2008 Kia Optima for a few weeks now. I understand it may take a while to break in a new car and improve gas mileage. So far I am averaging between 26 and 30 mpg. Highway of course is outstanding. I am overall happy with my purchase. Its somewhat of an adjustment coming down from a Toyota Avalon. However, I am very happy with the balance between luxury and economy in the Kia. The interior and exterior appearance are definitely luxury. The ride and price is definitely economy. So keep that in mind. The experience buying the car was excellent. The best way to work is to put a small deposit on your car, and write up the Purchase and sale, then shop 2-3 dealers. Happy days!

Favorite Features

Interior design, and feel. Luxury for price. Similar in appearance to high end vehicles. All comments mentioned by others.

Suggested Improvements

Rolls when reversing on a hill! Rolls when stopping on a hill and acts like a manual car. Need to fix this! Rear defogger, slow to start and lines really close together. Road noise is kind of hard and abrasive. Head space getting into car and ability to grab seat belt if seat is forward.

Power to Surprise
By Streeter

2008 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I agree with Kia's slogan. I was planning to replace my well worn out 91 Honda Accord with another Accord or Camry. I then saw the commercial for the Optima stating a price $3000 less than a Camry or Accord plus a $3000 rebate. This grabbed my attention so I went to see what Kia was all about. And I was surprised. Kia has done a nice job of building a sound car with features only found on higher end cars. I already have 3500 miles on it in two months. My mileage has steadily increased with each fill from 27 mpg to 29.5 for my driving. The car is quiet and shifts smooth (although a bit too frequently). We'll see what I think after 100,000 miles but so far I am impressed.

Favorite Features

Auto temp control, audio controls on the steering wheel, low road and engine noise. Not sure if I will like the tire pressure monitoring system. We'll see if there are any problems when I put on a new set of tires.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk is sort of hard to lift. My kids find the headrests uncomfortable. Seems to downshift excessively when going up hills.

Great Car
By 6Dogwood

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I sold my Corolla and was looking to find a great replacement. Well, enough said. This is a great car. It can carry four people very comfortably. However, economy is a hard pill to swallow. I am averaging 21 mpg and this is taking some getting used to. My corolla averaged 28 mpg. I thought this was a problem with the vehicle but turns out that after reading other reviews this is normal. Overall I am pleased.

WOW, says it for me.
By BigChris

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

As with many people my bias toward Kia was negative based on second hand knowledge of prior year models BUT Wow, I am so far amazed. I gave the car a 9/10 on Interior only because I feel the plushness of the cloth seat fabric does not fully live up to the quality level of this car. I am impressed with how this car measures up to my test drives in similar Lexus, Toyota, Volvo, and Mazda vehicles. Sweet! The cabin is solid and quite. Rear seat leg room and comfort beyond expectation. Ride, Steering, and Handling ... ahhhh ... so good. Love the Deep Sea Blue paint. Trunk - Deep & Wide. Standard sound system, pretty darn good, and that's VERY important to me. A/C works very well even in Texas.

Favorite Features

Though the car has electric locks, the other doors do not automatically unlock when I open the driver or passenger door with the key. It is so quite inside that I can't hear the engine running and sometimes stall the car (M/T). Wish seatbelt shoulder point went higher.

Suggested Improvements

Slightly more plush cloth on interior. Include the upper compartment on the center console for LX model. Make the glove box larger. And tell people that the $3000 rebate does not apply if you finance the vehicle.