2008 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Power to Surprise
By Streeter on 09/18/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I agree with Kia's slogan. I was planning to replace my well worn out 91 Honda Accord with another Accord or Camry. I then saw the commercial for the Optima stating a price $3000 less than a Camry or Accord plus a $3000 rebate. This grabbed my attention so I went to see what Kia was all about. And I was surprised. Kia has done a nice job of building a sound car with features only found on higher end cars. I already have 3500 miles on it in two months. My mileage has steadily increased with each fill from 27 mpg to 29.5 for my driving. The car is quiet and shifts smooth (although a bit too frequently). We'll see what I think after 100,000 miles but so far I am impressed.

Great Car
By 6Dogwood on 08/31/08 07:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I sold my Corolla and was looking to find a great replacement. Well, enough said. This is a great car. It can carry four people very comfortably. However, economy is a hard pill to swallow. I am averaging 21 mpg and this is taking some getting used to. My corolla averaged 28 mpg. I thought this was a problem with the vehicle but turns out that after reading other reviews this is normal. Overall I am pleased.

WOW, says it for me.
By BigChris on 08/25/08 15:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

As with many people my bias toward Kia was negative based on second hand knowledge of prior year models BUT Wow, I am so far amazed. I gave the car a 9/10 on Interior only because I feel the plushness of the cloth seat fabric does not fully live up to the quality level of this car. I am impressed with how this car measures up to my test drives in similar Lexus, Toyota, Volvo, and Mazda vehicles. Sweet! The cabin is solid and quite. Rear seat leg room and comfort beyond expectation. Ride, Steering, and Handling ... ahhhh ... so good. Love the Deep Sea Blue paint. Trunk - Deep & Wide. Standard sound system, pretty darn good, and that's VERY important to me. A/C works very well even in Texas.

Value-vs-Pre-Conceived value
By bilwhi on 08/22/08 00:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

With the exceptions of the following. Hard seats, blind spots, cheesy interior door handles, misleading mpg, it is a great little car. Known'n then what I know now, I would have never traded my overly-dependable 1989 olds 98 that delivered a honest 31 mpg & more comfort & mpg than Kia ever thought possible. Bottom line is like the car but I loved my olds!

Amazing Car! Worth every penny!
By Marjorie on 08/10/08 20:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned Hondas, Camrys, and other trendy cars in the past, but this is by far the best in terms of safety, price, and smooth riding. I love this car! Too bad people think it's a cheap car b/c of the name brand, but it's very reliable, rides smoothly, very safe 5 star-crash safety testing, 6 airbags, double safety bars on doors, etc. This car is by far better than any Honda, Camry, or Nissan in terms of gas mileage, price, warranty and safety. I highly recommend it to anyone buying a new car. You can't beat the warranty. I got free oil changes for 80K miles:)

More for less
By rick vanbarg on 07/25/08 16:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I really thought about buying an Accord or a Camry, you know image is important. Well, I could not get over how much better the Optima was compared to the other image cars. The optima rode better, looked sharp, (I have the appearance pkg) and was thousands less. The sound system is really nice. I have over 8,000 miles on it, getting around 31-32 mpg on highway. I must say that I'm very pleased with this car. Kia's image is the only thing bringing this company down, give them a couple more years and your looking at the next Honda or Toyota. Can't wait to see whats next for them.

So far so good
By Eric on 07/23/08 13:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I really like this car. Especially when compared to much more pricey models in its class. Drove Altima, Honda, and others, but landed with this car due to price and warranty. Paid 16K for the upgraded model with leather, etc. Very pleased.

Surprised at the Value
By Suprised Kia Guy on 07/19/08 06:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Had been looking around at new cars. Ford A/Z plan eligible. Drove a Fusion and an Optima. Even with A plan pricing Optima beat out Ford with Features, Pricing (rebate + discount), and gas mileage. The 5* crash rating was the clincher. With Rebate + discount, paid $14,500 for a well equipped Optima LX. Would have liked to buy a Toyota but with the discount, warranty, and features feel like I got a steal. Had it for 3 weeks now and rides great. Getting 25 - 27 mpg mixed driving. Love the steering wheel controls for radio. Only regret is buying white which looks great, but it going to be work to keep clean. Recommend Kia to anyone looking at a Honda or Toyota to save some $$.

Nice Ride!
By Optimas Prime on 07/16/08 20:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Optima EX V6 this month and it's VERY nice. Leather seats, Infinity audio system w/6 CD, mp3 plugin. Got the electronic stability package and the premium package. Drives and handles much nicer than my Ford Taurus. Surprisingly smooth ride on freeways and in town. Auto air keeps the interior at a constant 72 degrees (adjustable of course). Night driving, dash lights (soft blue) are admirable and well laid out. Easy to see or disregard when concentrating on driving. Average 33 mpg! 27 mpg when using the 5 speed Sportmatic transmission (FUN FUN FUN). It feels like a "Drive by wire" car. Pearl White turns heads. Air bags galore. Safe 5*.

Best 2008 value
By Matt on 07/15/08 01:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The chrome looks very nice with the black and the tan interior is very nice. Everyone thinks itís a more expensive car than it really is. I am 6í1Ē/250 lbs and I am satisfied with this mid size vehicle and all my friends say the same. The trunk is quite large and the only thing I donít like about the interior is the backseat head rests: they block the view when youíre attempting to switch lanes pretty bad. The gas mileage is a little disappointing. Itís a mid size thus itís a bit light and drives light and especially in the elements.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.