Used 2008 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Best new car yet
By art

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I own a '08 optima. Was skeptical at first, but after a shake down Cruise of 500 miles, I was hooked. Got 31 mpg new. Only after market addition was a k&n air filter. Got 50.000 out of the original tires and believe it or not the brakes! Have had no major problems and it only left sit once a dead battery! I remember the earlier models and all the problems associated with them. Night and day! Way to go! Would recommend Kia to anybody looking for an inexpensive durable car. BTW mine has over 75,000 on it.

Favorite Features

auxiliary input, chain driven 4 cyl, a/c, air filtration system

Suggested Improvements

placement of axillary port and cabin filter

Great car, so far: SAFE
By Jose

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I wanted to get a safer, more reliable car for my kids. Got a great deal, and the car still has 3 years/30,000 miles on original warranty, then a lifetime dealership kicks in. Rated safest car I could find, next to Subaru Legacy, which would have cost $10,000 more. Happy so far; I'll check back in 6 months.

Favorite Features

For the money, everything.

Suggested Improvements

None yet.

Outstanding!
By Outstanding!!!!

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car instead of the Ford Fusion and Chevy Impala. I could see the quality in the car. The lower price sealed the deal. The engine was clean and sounded good. I like the dual auto/manual shifting. I had 2 Toyota Corollas and this is much better. Better comfort than my Crown Victoria. A/C system is stronger than the Crown Vic. The increased MPG from my Chevy S10 will take me one month without fill ups or 512 miles. That's great for a long trip. The 2.4 liter is surprising nice and can handle almost anything. I think this car is a winner for the price. I thank God i live in America where we can chose our best values. Kia Optima definitely is a good car. With 42K it looks like new.

Favorite Features

Auto/manual shifting. Large interior for a guy who is 6-5. Large windshield. Comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Standard Sunroof would be nice. Interior MPG Computer would also be nice. Software in the dashboard and voice controlled radio. Onstar would also be nice. Navigation system would be nice.

Not bad
By Piper Cub Pilot

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My first imported car. Very well thought out packaging and overall design. Efficient with great safety features. At 27,000 miles the car feels and looks the same as it did when new. Reliability has been excellent and performance is on par with competition. Cheap to maintain and insure. At a $14,500 out-the-door price in 2008, it is a bargain.

Favorite Features

Panel fit is better than a Lexus (I checked). Controls are logical and positioned well. Exterior styling is wearing well now two-plus years later after purchase. Big interior for external dimensions. Nothing has broken and no oil/fluid consumption. Pretty quiet on highway. Great warranty.

Suggested Improvements

OEM Hancook 417 tires wore out at 17,000 miles, hydroplaned badly. Replacement Firestones are better. Dealership service in Columbia, Mo. is so-so. Engine is now noisy under load, but dealer says this is normal. Depreciation is among worst. Be careful with financing car will depreciate fast.

nice little car
By Chris B

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I'm 5'11, 265 lbs. This car offers plenty of room and a great many stock features which all work well. I do have some complaints however. The pillars on the front windshield can be difficult to see around and I have removed the headrests because of visibility issues as well. The shift gate is an absolute nuisance when trying to go from "D" to "R". The key fob frequently opens my trunk because of additional keys in my pocket, but that's pretty nit-picky. Stock tires bad - I put "winters" on this year to manage that. All in all, a sound vehicle at a terrific price warranties are questionable only because of the difference between dealerships. Seat adjustment are just ok.

Favorite Features

Stereo system. Bright headlights.Good trunk space.Decent legroom.Good storage compartments.Good interior lighting. Dash illumination is very nice!

Suggested Improvements

Hard plastic dash components scuff too easily. Visibility is poor due to headrest design and large A-pillars. Seat adjustments should provide greater height for back of seat and/or lower height for front of seat which would allow for better circulation to legs and better back posture.